2023 NASCAR

NASCAR returns to the squared oval at Indianapolis next year (has it really been 30 years?!). If memory serves, NASCAR had issues on the Oval with tires and it sounds like Goodyear is already working on that. The cool thing about Indy is the low banking allows for actual racing. The return to the oval is another expansion as Penske continues to expand the slate of races at the speedway in an effort to get the place to draw revenue more than a few times a year. IMSA will be 6 hr'ing it next year in late September as well.

N If memory serves, NASCAR had issues on the Oval with tires and it sounds like Goodyear is already working on that.
The issue was, as with most things NASCAR, the idiocy of the France family. Despite the series being fantastically popular and profitable, they listened to dumb people and allowed this "car of tomorrow" to be developed. (NASCAR cars, for decades, were all the same underneath, they just hung new sheet metal on them as body styles changed. This "car of tomorrow" was a solution to a non-existent problem. This car did not work, and was never tested at IMS. They showed up and the tires failed. The "race" was run in brief spurts, none longer than nine laps, after which the tires were changed.

Since that time, interest in the race has dwindled down to a spec. They then moved to the "road course" which also didn't work.

Blunt fact is that NASCAR had a formula that worked so well, it could sell out the largest stadium on earth (in some people's measurement system) and then it listened to people that wanted to change the sport, and now it cannot.

It is time to admit that and go home.

Reactions: Derwin0
1696252079784.png

Talladega almost finished without a big crash in the last five laps, but at least the top three cars raced to the line and Harvick barely lost out on being disqualified as the winner. Harvick disqualified for using a car air freshener that wasn't "True Pine" scent.

Ross Chastain was a champ and didn't want to blame anyone publicly for his stupid decision to race four wide into a turn. I read that Busch is actually to blame because he clipped Chastain... while Chastain was doing his best Alex Zanardi (on an oval) impression. Brad Keslowski helped Hocevar spin and then ended up getting bonked by said spun out car in the same incident.

38 spotters lost their voices calling the race. "Cars all around you... cars all around you... cars all around you."

Blaney takes the checker. I'm sure that had some playoff implications. I'm not certain how the playoffs work.

View attachment 165578

Talladega almost finished without a big crash in the last five laps, but at least the top three cars raced to the line and Harvick barely lost out on being disqualified as the winner. Harvick disqualified for using a car air freshener that wasn't "True Pine" scent.

Ross Chastain was a champ and didn't want to blame anyone publicly for his stupid decision to race four wide into a turn. I read that Busch is actually to blame because he clipped Chastain... while Chastain was doing his best Alex Zanardi (on an oval) impression. Brad Keslowski helped Hocevar spin and then ended up getting bonked by said spun out car in the same incident.

38 spotters lost their voices calling the race. "Cars all around you... cars all around you... cars all around you."

Blaney takes the checker. I'm sure that had some playoff implications. I'm not certain how the playoffs work.
The Playoffs in Nascar are STUPID ....
Another reason why I and millions other Quit watching ...

Win a race and your in, OK, thats fine.

Top 12 are in Playoff, OK ....
Then why are all 43 cars racing each week ??????????

If 12 cars are in the Playoffs, there should be 12 Cars on the track ....

They dwindle down to top 4 teams ... even though , those Top 4 may or may not be the ones that Won a race the previous weeks ... remember, 43 cars are still racing.

Its just Dumb ...

Now, I know the reason all 43 cars still race, its because of the Sponsors .... but come on ...

Fwiw,
Playoffs,
Stage Racing,
Not racing back to the Line is what started the downfall.

The fact that Many regulars have moved on and retired since the hey day is another issue.

Reactions: SamCdbs
Why wasn't the "illegal " part of Harvick's car caught during pre-race inspection? Being an impound race, no one could touch the car after qualifying. Maybe SHR peed nascar off? It's happened before.

The Playoffs in Nascar are STUPID ....
Another reason why I and millions other Quit watching ...

Win a race and your in, OK, thats fine.

Top 12 are in Playoff, OK ....
Then why are all 43 cars racing each week ??????????

If 12 cars are in the Playoffs, there should be 12 Cars on the track ....

They dwindle down to top 4 teams ... even though , those Top 4 may or may not be the ones that Won a race the previous weeks ... remember, 43 cars are still racing.

Its just Dumb ...

Now, I know the reason all 43 cars still race, its because of the Sponsors .... but come on ...

Fwiw,
Playoffs,
Stage Racing,
Not racing back to the Line is what started the downfall.

The fact that Many regulars have moved on and retired since the hey day is another issue.
So much complaining about "racing to the line". That wouldn't solve the issues of NASCAR.

The Stage racing is silly (stopping in the middle of the race?!). The playoff really is silly. Bubba Wallace was in 12th I think on the last lap, then the crash at the very last second and bam... he's back ten more positions because of other cars. But I'd say what harms the racing most is the bumping and pushing. NASCAR isn't technically a team sport, but people are passing because of cars behind them, as much as their own effort. They have to drive so close, their air flaps are popping up in the vacuum! Having your weekend mean nothing because the guy behind you accidentally bumped you the wrong way... or being taken out by the guy who was bumped the wrong way, that isn't racing.

So much complaining about "racing to the line". That wouldn't solve the issues of NASCAR.

The Stage racing is silly (stopping in the middle of the race?!). The playoff really is silly. Bubba Wallace was in 12th I think on the last lap, then the crash at the very last second and bam... he's back ten more positions because of other cars. But I'd say what harms the racing most is the bumping and pushing. NASCAR isn't technically a team sport, but people are passing because of cars behind them, as much as their own effort. They have to drive so close, their air flaps are popping up in the vacuum! Having your weekend mean nothing because the guy behind you accidentally bumped you the wrong way... or being taken out by the guy who was bumped the wrong way, that isn't racing.
Yes, but thats been happening for 60+ years now (bumping and pushing).
Why wasn't the "illegal " part of Harvick's car caught during pre-race inspection? Being an impound race, no one could touch the car after qualifying. Maybe SHR peed nascar off? It's happened before.
It wasn't an illegal part from what I heard, just wasn't tight.

I figured a violation would be caught after the first inspection of the weekend, not after the race is completed. Especially since it was an impound race. Seems as if someone in nascar missed something. My two cents!