24 Hour Expiration DVR Showcase

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DWDYEM2001

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 3, 2007
Anyone notice this new policy by DirecTV. Recorded PPV movies will no longer be viewable on your DVR after 24 hours of the PPV movie purchase. This annoys me and lately DirecTV has been frustrating me with their new policies. The new HD programming is great but in the last 2 months, the cost of my DirecTV service has gone up along with being billed extra for channels the used to be included with my HD package with Total Choice Premier. Now this new 24 expiration PPV policy. I used to be a regular customer of PPV movies and events. Now, because of this new policy I don't think I will purchasing anymore PPV purchases now. I think more DTV customers should protest this new policy by not purchasing PPV movies and events so that DTV's revenue from PPV purchases drops considerably. Not liking this new policy. :down

This was announced a month or two ago. I've seen posts on several different HT/Satellite forums for a while now. I don't believe this is specifically a DirecTV policy - I thought I saw that it was initiated by the studios. But I've never ordered PPV and didn't read extremely close, so maybe I'm remembering wrong.

In regards to the price increases, I'm not going to say I'm happy with it by any means, but I'm pretty sure there was mention of every other provider increasing as well. So D* is far from alone. Just add it to the list of every other bill that keeps on going up.

And there were many threads on the separation of the pre-existing HD channels. Personally, I have no problem with the way they broke it out. They could have simply said "we added 50 HD channels (or whatever the number was) so we're doubling the HD fee.". Instead, they kept the HD price unchanged, and that includes all channels that have an SD counterpart. The only channels in the 'extra' tier are those that are HD only. Considering how many channels have been added in the last few months, I'm not going to complain - they have to re-coup their increased cost in some fashion. I personally dropped the 'extra pack' because I didn't watch any of those channels anyway, but the option is obviously there for anyone that wants it. If I was an avid watcher of any of the channels that "moved", I'd probably be upset as well.

However, the increase in Sunday Ticket price once again has probably tipped me over the edge. I've only had it for two years, and really enjoy the options it provides. I grimaced at the previous cost, but I think the latest increase has pushed it outside of my limit. If my favorite team was out of market, I could probably justify it, but well over $350 to watch football games is past my limit (especially when I'm trying to pay for a wedding in August). I considered canceling last year (ST only), but I think this year I will pull the plug.

Reason for change my thoughts

Anyone notice this new policy by DirecTV. Recorded PPV movies will no longer be viewable on your DVR after 24 hours of the PPV movie purchase. This annoys me and lately DirecTV has been frustrating me with their new policies. The new HD programming is great but in the last 2 months, the cost of my DirecTV service has gone up along with being billed extra for channels the used to be included with my HD package with Total Choice Premier. Now this new 24 expiration PPV policy. I used to be a regular customer of PPV movies and events. Now, because of this new policy I don't think I will purchasing anymore PPV purchases now. I think more DTV customers should protest this new policy by not purchasing PPV movies and events so that DTV's revenue from PPV purchases drops considerably. Not liking this new policy. :down
Well I really do not blame Directv on this one, its actually the movie studios pushing them to change there policies and the have no choice or will probably get sued. As I said its all about greed and the more money you can make and soon shows you have on your dvr will have a time limit too quote me on that. :) Studios want to sell there dvd's even though there making a killing on dvd sells they dont want to lose not even a dollar. So policies change so you can not hold on to it and will want to buy the dvd.:p

However, the increase in Sunday Ticket price once again has probably tipped me over the edge.
I am also a (1) Sunday Ticket (with Superfan), (2) MLB Extra Innings (with Superfan), (3) CFB, (3) Full Court subscriber along with Total Choice Premier and all HD subscriptions. I also used to order the occasional fight and UFC event. When I say price increase, I am referring to my average monthly bill which keeps going up every year. So, when I see small increases in my programming costs, it actually ticks me off a lot more then when they increase the cost of sports subscriptions because I feel like I am getting nickel n' dimed by DTV when they do this..

I am also a (1) Sunday Ticket (with Superfan), (2) MLB Extra Innings (with Superfan), (3) CFB, (3) Full Court subscriber along with Total Choice Premier and all HD subscriptions. I also used to order the occasional fight and UFC event. When I say price increase, I am referring to my average monthly bill which keeps going up every year. So, when I see small increases in my programming costs, it actually ticks me off a lot more then when they increase the cost of sports subscriptions because I feel like I am getting nickel n' dimed by DTV when they do this..

Your programming cost goes up EVERY YEAR on ALL providers, this past year it went up by like $ 3.
They have to pay for the sat some how.

Regarding this contentious issue: Theoretically, if you have an HR20/21 with the ethernet port on the back, is it possible to dump anything on the playlist to, say a PC hard drive, via that port? Or would you have to physically connect the DVR's HDD to a computer to pull the content off it? To hell with the MPAA.

The thing that ticks me off the most is, how is "renting" a PPV any different than going to your local video store, renting a new release and keeping it for a week? WHat is the MPAA going to come banging on your door demanding that you take it back after one day regardless of whether or not you've watched it? Corporate greed at it's finest. F the MPAA.

Not to mention starting a movie at 9pm, going to bed at 10, you come home late the next night, sit down at 9:15 to finish and it's gone. Even 36 hours would be more feasible. It will surely make me not buy PPV. Netflix for me.

I have about 6 movies on my DVR now paid for but not watched.

Last edited:
Just another reason why not to buy any PPV's. Dish Network charges $4.99 per PPV now too. Not a good time to be raising the rates of the PPV when this is being imposed.

Also agree!

I was aggravated with it too since the whole idea of having an HD DVR which we have to also pay an extra monthly fee to record was to be able to record and watch at our leisure, but now they tell us if we record a ppv we are only given 24 hours to view it.

I keep several hours of recording for the sole purpose of watching it when I want to not when THEY want me too.

I will not be ordering ppv...Back we go to the video stores!!!

Stalker, the 24 hour thing is once you hit play. If you don't hit play I believe the PPV will stay on your DVR for 30 days.

Recording a PPV movie on DirecTV is no different the their old "All Day Ticket" promo. That is all you get is an all day ticket. So, if you pay $5.00 for an HD PPV movie, you get a $5 all day ticket. Better off going to blockbuster and burning the movie.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts