3D in 2012 -- May send me to DirecTv

Has anyone watched sports in 3d?? I hear it's amazing to watch it in 3d. I've got an LCD tv that I may sell someday to get a led HDTV but what is better about buying a 3d tv vs a non 3d??
Yeah, I watched an NFL game in 3D, but that was back in 2010 when I was able to score 4th row tickets to the game. ;)

I do hope DISH carries the Olympics in 3D this year and use it as a tiral to see if DISH customers really want (and would use) 3D!
Those numbers could easily mislead, and would need to be tempered with the fact that the Olympics delivers huge numbers, and the INITIAL Dish 3D offering will probable be significant. But, once the games are over and the "novelty factor" kicks in, so does reality. From what I've read, it seems D* has served as the guinea pig with D3D, which has been cut back significantly, until, of course, the Olympics.

It is funny that you should say this now as DIRECTV has reportedly taken their in-house 3D channel (n3D) from full tiime to part time.

At this time I consider 3D to be somewhat of a novelty and would be content with a part time 3D channel showing perhaps only a couple of 3D movies a month. I would never consider wearing those glasses constantly for TV viewing.

I guess most of you didn't have HD in it's infancy... and with todays ADD society...

I had it before most anyone else as I worked for a D distributor. Only a few channels but it was very impressive. 3D isn't at least to me when I saw it in a home. Even w/ our "big screens" it not the same as in a theater which envelopes one in it. I still think of it as a novelty.

I read dozens of posts everyday at AVS Forum from people trying 3D on their new 3D TV's. I would say that the positive responses easily run in the 90% range. Most complaints revolve around minor ghosting and cross talk. Then again almost all of these refer to blu-ray viewing. Who knows what kind of quality the major networks would bring to the table. I'm sure they are capable of high quality but that doesn't mean that's what we would get. I'm afraid that if they watered it down many would not watch it.

Most complaints revolve around minor ghosting and cross talk.
Much of this has more to do with where 3D is technologically than the content itself.

From what I've been reading, the issue is typically associated with active shutter glasses and until the industry settles on how to make big, big money from marketing cheapo passive glasses, there may not be a solution.

dfergie said:
I've had zero problems with my active shutter glasses ...

Likewise no problems here. Switched to D* today, mainly because of 3D. There are some of us that really enjoy it, not sure why that bothers those that don't. Can't wait for the Olympics!

BTW, a bunch of movies platying right now, Madagascar, Prometheus, The Avengers, and Men in Black, are all in 3D, and doing quite well. The upcoming Pixar's Brave will be in 3D, as well.

There appears to be no shortage of content being produced.

There appears to be no shortage of content being produced.
The issue isn't so much numbers as the availability of compelling content. The MTV networks have lots of HD content but very little (if any) of it is compelling. DIRECTV's own scaling back of n3D may be a nod to this fact.

Does the Hopper get You Tube yet? There are many 3D videos there. Many video camera companies now have 3D offerings and people are posting their videos.

Until the major networks start offering prime time shows in 3D (good quality 3D) the technology will continue to languish in obscurity. It needs to go main stream to the masses. Until then we will be offered a few major sporting events and blu-ray 3D movies.

Likewise no problems here. Switched to D* today, mainly because of 3D. There are some of us that really enjoy it, not sure why that bothers those that don't. Can't wait for the Olympics!

It does not bother me that you or any other persons want to enjoy the format in the comfort of your own home. What bothers me is that you try to push your personal agenda on to MY television carrier, where I think their time and bandwidth can be spent in better ways to improve their delivery of content.

Clearly, the vast majority of Dish’s subs have no or little interest in this technology at this time. So you have switched, good for you, enjoy your headache triggering programs and your higher month statements. I am confident the AMC crowd will soon be joining you!

inazsully said:
Until the major networks start offering prime time shows in 3D (good quality 3D) the technology will continue to languish in obscurity. It needs to go main stream to the masses. Until then we will be offered a few major sporting events and blu-ray 3D movies.

I can't think of anything less necessary for 3d, except perhaps for news.

KazooGuy said:
It does not bother me that you or any other persons want to enjoy the format in the comfort of your own home. What bothers me is that you try to push your personal agenda on to MY television carrier, where I think their time and bandwidth can be spent in better ways to improve their delivery of content.

Clearly, the vast majority of Dish’s subs have no or little interest in this technology at this time. So you have switched, good for you, enjoy your headache triggering programs and your higher month statements. I am confident the AMC crowd will soon be joining you!

Clearly? I see no such thing.

Agenda? Are you going to start claiming 3d destroys the sanctity of television, which should be defined as an image comprised of 1 horizontal axis and 1 vertical?

Clearly? I see no such thing.

Agenda? Are you going to start claiming 3d destroys the sanctity of television, which should be defined as an image comprised of 1 horizontal axis and 1 vertical?

Sorry, I am devoutly atheist. Much like 3D, I have no need to have an imaginary deity attached to an appliance. With that said, feel free to slip on the sneakers, drink the Kool-Aid and lay down to take a nap while you await the mother ship…

Sorry, I am devoutly atheist. Much like 3D, I have no need to have an imaginary deity attached to an appliance. With that said, feel free to slip on the sneakers, drink the Kool-Aid and lay down to take a nap while you await the mother ship…
Not thinking in extreme terms, such as people like you do, I am neither an "athiest" or a "fundamentalist" when it comes to things like this. I just feel that the facts are such that 3D is not dead, as folks such as yourself claim, nor does it need 3 full-time channels, as some of the fanboys would appear to want.

Most of the people asking for more 3D content from Dish just want a bit more than is being offered now. That is all. There is quite a bit of content out there. And, we'd like to see more of it than a couple of outrageously-priced VOD's per month. Pretty reasonable request, actually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts