40 HD CHANNELS IS BETTER THAN RE-RUNS OF "HOGAN'S HEROES"

Tvlman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Surf City.CA
I suppose VOOM is not for you if you'd rather watch SD or if you're not patient or have forgotten what it's like without HD or if you think trading 40 HD channels for 6 is good math.

But right now where else can you get 21 Original HD channels, 10 HD Premium Channels nightly plus all the other goodies like the recent Tyson fight free? If you still have a 4:3 set maybe it's not as much fun. But if you (like me) spent a bundle on a good HiDef Home Theater then why did we buy them?

To Watch HDTV! I haven't seen any glitches that didn't happen with the phone company, the credit card company or cable or DirecTV. So enjoy....
unless you'd rather watch re-runs of "Hogan's Heroes" and all the SD reality shows.

I also agree....I wouldnt trade VOOM for the DTV HD pack. You would have to be insane to do that...or you would really have to love HDNET. HDNET MOVIES is like having one Cin 10 ch. Bottom line is that when I had the DTVHD pack...I found that there was not much to watch...now because of VOOM thats very different.

Id Gladly Trade The 21 Exclusives For 15 +hdnet. THE CONTENT OF HDNET BEATS THE HE$$ OUT OF THE CONTENT OF ANY OF THE 21 EXCLUSIVE CHANNELS. VOOM HAS NOTHING LIKE HOTLINES OR BIKINI DESTINATIONS, MLS, NHL. DONT INSULT THE BEST HD CHANNEL IN EXISTENCE BY IMPLYING IT ONLY HAS RERUN OF HOGANS HEROES. VOOM WOULD DO WELL TO DO SUCH A GREAT TRANSFER AND SHOW IT AT 17 MBPS.

I've never watched cinema 1 thru 6, classics, epics, gunslingers, divine, worldsport, ultra, auction, gallery, moov (did watch ice cream melt one time), animania, don't subscribe to pay channels (never will).........there all a waste

vurbano said:
Id Gladly Trade The 21 Exclusives For 15 +hdnet. THE CONTENT OF HDNET BEATS THE HE$$ OUT OF THE CONTENT OF ANY OF THE 21 EXCLUSIVE CHANNELS. VOOM HAS NOTHING LIKE HOTLINES OR DESTINATIONS, MLS, NHL. DONT INSULT THE BEST HD CHANNEL IN EXISTENCE BY IMPLYING IT ONLY HAS RERUN OF HOGANS HEROES. VOOM WOULD DO WELL TO DO SUCH A GREAT TRANSFER AND SHOW IT AT 17 MBPS.
Its a matter of opinion and I could only go on when I had the DTVHD pack I really didnt watch HDNET all that much. Baseball looked great on HDNET and so did Hockey. Yes Voom would do well to give any of their HD ch's 17MBPS. But fact of the matter is ....I wouldnt trade what I have now for HDNET.

OK, I usually agree with Mr. Vurb on his opinions but this one I can't. Though I liked HDNet in the beginning, I found it lacking as time went on. Now, HDNet and Cuban need to applauded for their vision and implementation. To add to that, the HDNets hold the bar on PQ (for now). So the only argument to be had is programming. Is this area, HDNet falls short. I personally think that HDNet suffers from a lot of repetition. Now, different strokes for different folks but lets tackle a few:

HD babes (HDNet winner - Hotlines, Bikini Contest, Cheerleader tryouts)

HD News: This is tough for me, so you decide. Voom's HDNews - 24 hour news w/ HD clips of news, sports, weather, and fill-in stories vs HDNets World reports. Now, I actually miss the World Reports program from HDNet but I like HDNews also.

Sports(TIE: HDNet's MLS/NHL vs Voom's Worldsport/Rush) FOR ME - I don't care for these sports. There is no NFL, NBA, nor MLB to swing the tide. Ivy League football nor Maverick's Preseason will due.

Nature and Culture ( Voom winner - Equator HD, Ultra, Gallery HD, Auction HD. Voom has multiple stations with different content)

Music: Voom winner - Rave HD multiple concerts and videos. HDNet have concerts and video here and there.

Recent and Older TV Series: HDNet winner - Some CBS and ABC cancelled series and Odyssey 7. Voom has nothing in this arena

Movies: Voom winner - Cinema 10 and Monster HD. Now we can argue about movie types or selection. FOR ME, Cinema 10 and HDnet need to step up to the plate for quality content. Neither have movies I am rushing home to see but I have watched more Voom Cinema 10 movies than I did on HDNet. In this category, Voom just has more volume and more channels of these same type quality films.

Wife Appeal: Voom winner - Rave, Ultra, Treasure, Auction

Kids Appeal: Voom winner - Animation HD. Now, I could be off here. I do remember that HDNet was going to do some Anime'. If so, I would then place a tie in this area.

Let me know what you guys think but for me this is how it rates.

Mike

I spent a bundle on my HT as well and though I like the Voom concept, they are falling way short on PQ. I am not negative about Voom, I like them, but I will not become a Voom cheerleader until they fix their PQ issues and have a great, not good, picture. In the meantime, I will watch Hogan's Heroes and Bikini Destinations.

Funny I just bought an HD Tivo to compliment Voom and rember what a PVR is. Just have HD Pack & no premiums, primarily to get REAL EPICS on HDnet Movies (although glad to see Man Who Would be King also coming to Voom), but the PQ on that unit is very soft compared to Voom (which may be different on other HD receivers).

Wow, that thread subject is so "fair and balanced" Foxnews would be proud! The anti-voomers would reply by saying "yeah enjoy your screensavers while I watch my Bikini Destinations and Hot Lines".

This kind of argument doesn't help anybody, least of all yourself.

well said :D
vurbano said:
Id Gladly Trade The 21 Exclusives For 15 +hdnet. THE CONTENT OF HDNET BEATS THE HE$$ OUT OF THE CONTENT OF ANY OF THE 21 EXCLUSIVE CHANNELS. VOOM HAS NOTHING LIKE HOTLINES OR BIKINI DESTINATIONS, MLS, NHL. DONT INSULT THE BEST HD CHANNEL IN EXISTENCE BY IMPLYING IT ONLY HAS RERUN OF HOGANS HEROES. VOOM WOULD DO WELL TO DO SUCH A GREAT TRANSFER AND SHOW IT AT 17 MBPS.

DarrellP said:
I spent a bundle on my HT as well and though I like the Voom concept, they are falling way short on PQ. I am not negative about Voom, I like them, but I will not become a Voom until they fix their PQ issues and have a great, not good, picture. In the meantime, I will watch Hogan's Heroes and Destinations.
They do. I have to agree. Its the one thing that bothers me about VOOM is the PQ and the bandwidth or the lack of bandwidth that they are giving to their HD Ch's. I still would rather watch anything on VOOM's HD Ch's than STD programming which looks like garbage to me now. We are just going to have to be patient for the new WM9 format. At that time the should increase the bandwidth to all of their HD Ch's and still have plenty of room to spare.

Why is the original poster comparing one channel HDnet to 40? or even 21? That in itself must tell you that HDnet is an exceptional HD channel. and IS BETTER than any of the exclusives. Trading 21 channels for it would be ridiculous! But on a channel by channel basis I am sorry, none of the voom exclusives are in the same ballpark. If you put about Gallery, Auction, Moov, Rush, Ultra together you still couldnt beat it. Sorry but thems the facts. Again the intent of this thread 40HD channels vs hdnet is absurd!

rudolpht said:
Funny I just bought an HD Tivo to compliment Voom and rember what a PVR is. Just have HD Pack & no premiums, primarily to get REAL EPICS on HDnet Movies (although glad to see Man Who Would be King also coming to Voom), but the PQ on that unit is very soft compared to Voom (which may be different on other HD receivers).
Tim, have you seen what's coming up on the Cinema 10s?

Magnificant Seven
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Fistfull of Dollars
Mad Max
Hard Days Night

in addition to already

Hoosiers
Manchurian Candidate
Terminator
Platoon (long ago)

The classic films Voom is adding to the originals has totally turned me around. I still think there should only be Cinema 5, but we've moved beyond crappy B movies on a 24 hour loop exclusively. As for the initial post, Voom has sacrificed picture quality in favor of quantity of channels. It is really a shame, but everyone else does it, so we don't have any options. I have a feeling that even with wm9 Voom will burn it all on locals.

mkwillia said:
OK, I usually agree with Mr. Vurb on his opinions but this one I can't. Though I liked HDNet in the beginning, I found it lacking as time went on. Now, HDNet and Cuban need to applauded for their vision and implementation. To add to that, the HDNets hold the bar on PQ (for now). So the only argument to be had is programming. Is this area, HDNet falls short. I personally think that HDNet suffers from a lot of repetition. Now, different strokes for different folks but lets tackle a few:

HD babes (HDNet winner - Hotlines, Bikini Contest, Cheerleader tryouts)

HD News: This is tough for me, so you decide. Voom's HDNews - 24 hour news w/ HD clips of news, sports, weather, and fill-in stories vs HDNets World reports. Now, I actually miss the World Reports program from HDNet but I like HDNews also.

Sports(TIE: HDNet's MLS/NHL vs Voom's Worldsport/Rush) FOR ME - I don't care for these sports. There is no NFL, NBA, nor MLB to swing the tide. Ivy League football nor Maverick's Preseason will due.

Nature and Culture ( Voom winner - Equator HD, Ultra, Gallery HD, Auction HD. Voom has multiple stations with different content)

Music: Voom winner - Rave HD multiple concerts and videos. HDNet have concerts and video here and there.

Recent and Older TV Series: HDNet winner - Some CBS and ABC cancelled series and Odyssey 7. Voom has nothing in this arena

Movies: Voom winner - Cinema 10 and Monster HD. Now we can argue about movie types or selection. FOR ME, Cinema 10 and HDnet need to step up to the plate for quality content. Neither have movies I am rushing home to see but I have watched more Voom Cinema 10 movies than I did on HDNet. In this category, Voom just has more volume and more channels of these same type quality films.

Wife Appeal: Voom winner - Rave, Ultra, Treasure, Auction

Kids Appeal: Voom winner - Animation HD. Now, I could be off here. I do remember that HDNet was going to do some Anime'. If so, I would then place a tie in this area.

Let me know what you guys think but for me this is how it rates.

Mike
Why are you comparing 1 channel to 21 channels?

vurbano said:
okthen, Im done with this threads foolishness. LMAO

I agree vurb. The more important comparison would be between the complete HD offering of D* or E* versus HD offering of Voom.

Tvlman said:
I suppose VOOM is not for you if you'd rather watch SD or if you're not patient or have forgotten what it's like without HD or if you think trading 40 HD channels for 6 is good math.

But right now where else can you get 21 Original HD channels, 10 HD Premium Channels nightly plus all the other goodies like the recent Tyson fight free? If you still have a 4:3 set maybe it's not as much fun. But if you (like me) spent a bundle on a good HiDef Home Theater then why did we buy them?

To Watch HDTV! I haven't seen any glitches that didn't happen with the phone company, the credit card company or cable or DirecTV. So enjoy....
unless you'd rather watch re-runs of "Hogan's Heroes" and all the SD reality shows.

I love Voom but seriously that is a pretty weak argument. I still have to say that those 21 Voom channels minuse Rave and occasionally Rush suck Donkey weiners.

How many times can I watch a Flug Tag or sailing or soccer.....? I care about none of these things. Why not put real sports that people love on some of these voom channels? I have probably watched 3 movies(max.) on the Cinema channels since I have had Voom (2 1/2 months). I am sorry but I just can't watch a sh!tty B-movie just because it is in high definition. I dont' like SD as well but I am not of these "high def" hippies who start to like weird sh*t like Sailing just because it has great picture quality.

I want Great picture quality AND great content. Unfortunately, 80% of what I and most of the general public perceive as good content is still only offered in SD.

P.S. I had rather watch Hogan's Heroes as I had the same frecking High Def movie 99 times in a month.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)