4D Map Master Latest Update May 26th 2011

Status
Please reply by conversation.
tvropro can elaborate a bit, but I'm getting the impression that the seller is going to stand behind his product.

I will be buying one as soon myself.

Order mine already.:confused:

Candid

When you get your interface:

Read all documentation supplied by the seller, also:

Be sure to unplug your IRD <before> connecting to the bdm header (and pc) Then power up IRD after everything is hooked up. Never neglect that trying to save time. Also be sure to use safely remove hardware tab in lower right when unplugging the USB end from PC.

The seller states this and I just wanted to reiterate. And it's nice he will offer some type of limited warranty on his products, although I haven't had any issues with mine (knocking on wood);)

Heres the story.: The USBBDM NT cable I got would not communicate to the IRD then the chip started getting very hot on the device and now won't even cause diag conditions on the 4DTV. I contacted the USB guy he was suppose to get back with me Friday but didn't. He is out of town for the next week so I'm in limbo.

I hope the guy will stand behind his product but at this point I don't know. I do not want all of us to end up in the boat I am in right now with money spent and a boat anchor. If thats going to be the case I CANNOT recommend the product since it will make our team also look bad. I am looking into alternative methods of interfacing at the moment if this USB deal falls apart. I will post updates at the map master site as I know anything.

I suggest everyone to hold off who didn't order yet until this is resolved.

Maybe we can multi interface Map Master. Don't jump the gun, this is why things are in alpha beta and testing is going on. It's all easier said then done.

Last edited:
I bought one about four or five months ago with no issues. From reading his fourms he seems to be very active. I would bet tvropro he will do you right.

I bought one about four or five months ago with no issues. From reading his fourms he seems to be very active. I would bet tvropro he will do you right.

I'm reading his forums now. Seems he has had defective units before and looks like he takes care of it. I hope I'm lucky. I also read about some bad diode issues. I would crack it open and see if thats the problem but then I void the warranty, don't want to do that just yet. We need someone who can stand behind the product since I'm sure many will be involved once MM is released. Map master actually needs external software to read & write to the 4D. Map Master itself does the magic then uses an interface product to load. Any BDM interface and software could work I was told by our head programmer. But the software has to work with the DSR.

Me being out of the loop just slows down development and testing. Always something :facepalm

I wouldn't really recommend anyone crack it open, for warranty reasons. I have always take things apart and the USBBDM was not spared. It is SMT and there really isn't much most folks would be able to do with it even if they opt to remove the heat shrink. I have made repairs to SMT, but this unit works fine, and seen no reason to go further with it, It is proprietary by looks of it, but I don't know if patents have been applied for and don't care. for $50 I think it's a good buy.

There are other options, but most require more money , or more time.

My usb is sitting on a shelf (heat shrink intact) since last Fri waiting for the usb guy to get back so I can get some input on replacement. If I hear nothing when he gets back I will contact paypal and file a dispute and let them mediate this.

Thanks to the author (you know who you are) who only asks not to "...sell by the dozens on Ebay..."

Attached are schematics and library.

Good Luck

Attachments

• usbbdm-30.04.2010.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 98
  • combilib-net.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 90
USB BDM info posted by Merkin has been given to our top programmer, could prove interesting. Maybe we don't need to rely on the USB guy. Thank's again :)

FT245RL = USB TO PARALLEL FIFO (digikey # 768-1011-1-ND)

Not sure what model of atmel chip yet can't find anything for mega8-ai ?

I mentioned this solution (among others) six months ago but fell on deaf ears.

Still waiting to come across a DSR-9** unit worth buying, until I build it.

Quick estimate...complete BOM should be under $20/unit from mouser.com.

The board is more than one layer (you can easily redraw a single layer option so we can etch your own boards to save a few $$$) so homemade etching will take a backseat to PCB Order | DorkbotPDX or Products when the time comes.
Had good experience with both in the last 6-12 months.

Dorkbot has free shipping to US and costs $5/square inch for 3 copies of the board.

So for ~$80 you can have parts for three boards.

The Atmega8 must be flashed however...(very cheap, parts probably can be found in your pile of junk)

this PonyProg - Serial device programmer and this http://www.lancos.com/e2p/betterSTK200.gif

...should do the trick.

Good Luck.

I mentioned this solution (among others) six months ago but fell on deaf ears.

Quick estimate...complete BOM should be under $20/unit from mouser.com.

Know of the amtel chip part #?

Know of the amtel chip part #?
No but wasnt a concern until considering crackt's offer.

The usb_bdm firmware is 16kb, which means the Atmel's flash is 8kb and the schematic shows a 16MHz oscillator and the chip is a TQFP32 package. That should get you on the right track.

crackt said:
maybe ill swap a 4d reciever for a blsa. sound good?
As long as the UID is valid upon shipment I will accept that offer. There is only two BLSA's left.

But continue this via email since I have a few more questions ;-)

@"mapmaster group"
to quote the author of USB_BDM
"...it would be enough to rewrite 4pbdm.c of 4play.exe. USB_BDM
already has a general-purpose library which can be linked into the
project instead of P&E Micro DLLs
...the class caFTDIAdapter implements most of the basic BDM
routines (ReadByte() etc.)"

This includes routines for a complete MCU 68K debugger. 4play might not have been 100% reliable, but that dont mean reinvent the wheel. Concern *should* be disassembly of the 68K firmware, not the name of the app.

For anyone interested here is a current BOM from author with Farnell/Newark.com part number

1611761 - 16M Crystal, 1 pcs;
1099254 - 10pin header, 1 pcs;
1099236 - IDC socket 10way, 2 pcs;
1243250 - Mini USB Type B socket, 1 pcs;
1146034 - FT245RL, 1 pcs;
1748532 - ATMega8A, 1 pcs;
1672527 - 15uF tantalum, 1 pcs;
1142517 - 3mm LED red, 1 pcs;
1652494 - 3mm LED green, 1 pcs;
9265236 - ferrite bead, 1 pcs
9337270 - 270R, 2 pcs;
9337016 - 10K, 2 pcs;
1759312 - 100nF, 4 pcs;
1520307 - 10nF, 1 pcs;
1611761 - 18pF, 2 pcs;
1469384 - 4148 diode, 1 pcs.

For anyone interested here is a current BOM from author with Farnell/Newark.com part number

1611761 - 16M Crystal, 1 pcs;
1099254 - 10pin header, 1 pcs;
1099236 - IDC socket 10way, 2 pcs;
1243250 - Mini USB Type B socket, 1 pcs;
1146034 - FT245RL, 1 pcs;
1748532 - ATMega8A, 1 pcs;
1672527 - 15uF tantalum, 1 pcs;
1142517 - 3mm LED red, 1 pcs;
1652494 - 3mm LED green, 1 pcs;
9265236 - ferrite bead, 1 pcs
9337270 - 270R, 2 pcs;
9337016 - 10K, 2 pcs;
1759312 - 100nF, 4 pcs;
1520307 - 10nF, 1 pcs;
1611761 - 18pF, 2 pcs;
1469384 - 4148 diode, 1 pcs.

Information submitted to our private group. Thanks for the help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)