4DTV IPG on Ku X4

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

trinidex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
I realise (to my knowledge) that there is no IPG for 4DTV on any Ku satellite, specifically X4.

I think that having a 4DTV X4 system gives a reasonable number of channels (with more to come - I hope!) and may be tempting for newcomers, but without a guide it makes it less user friendly.

People may be more inclined to get a Ku offset installed instead of a BUD, but without G1-3 they wouldn't even be able to subscribe, let alone get a guide!

Is there anyone we can lobby to get an IPG on X4?

I realise (to my knowledge) that there is no IPG for 4DTV on any Ku satellite, specifically X4.

I think that having a 4DTV X4 system gives a reasonable number of channels (with more to come - I hope!) and may be tempting for newcomers, but without a guide it makes it less user friendly.

People may be more inclined to get a Ku offset installed instead of a BUD, but without G1-3 they wouldn't even be able to subscribe, let alone get a guide!

Is there anyone we can lobby to get an IPG on X4?

I think SRL can hit the 4dtv off of X4 now, I am not sure if the monthly hits will take though unless the unit is on G1-3, if you sub please let us know, if so then people will be able to slave a 4dtv to there motorized dvb system, opposite of what us big dish users do now, or they can set up a stationary dish, if thats the case I will most probably get another 4dtv and slave it to my own dvb system hooked up to the old 27" since the X4 feeds are not the master feeds :)

I don't see a guide going up on Ku-band unless a few thousand people get a Ku 4dtv system, 4dtv guide is not the best get a sub to a online guide they are better.

Last edited:
UPDATE....

I had to get my DSR920 upgraded by ATS to get X4 Ku feeds, which I've done now :)

I hooked it up and pointed it at X4-430 and called Programming Center, I took a 1 month subscription to the "DIGITAL 4DTV Ku-X4 Pak" (listed on http://www.skyvision.com/programming/index_old.html#4dtv1), and they were able to activate it whilst on X4-430....YAY!

UPDATE....

I had to get my DSR920 upgraded by ATS to get X4 Ku feeds, which I've done now :)

I hooked it up and pointed it at X4-430 and called Programming Center, I took a 1 month subscription to the "DIGITAL 4DTV Ku-X4 Pak" (listed on http://www.skyvision.com/programming/index_old.html#4dtv1), and they were able to activate it whilst on X4-430....YAY!

Can you expand on this a bit. Why did you have to upgrade your 920? Your link is to Skyvision, but you mentioned Programming Center (SRL), which one did you go with? Did they say anything about needing monthly hits from G1-3?

Thanks for any info you can provide. I'm considering ordering from one of these two packagers, but I have to look for any issues because I'll have to order through my friend in the States.

I think his battery went on him, so he had to send it to ATS for repair. I do remember it didn't show the correct "Current Version", don't remember what it showed, but it needed the version that ends with 6d, which it didn't have. That's what he means by an upgrade.

Al

I am running a 920 and get X4 with no problem. It's a 99 signal on all of the channels. When I put in the Ku lnb and told the system I had it, the IPG started coming up with X4. I might have gotten the digital package from Skyvision at the same time, but I'm pretty sure the IPG came up before I got the package. On mine, unless a satellite is selected and a position for it saved, it will not appear on the program guide. My software version is 6D.

Last edited:
Pretty sure the 920 has to have the upgrade in order for there to be an X4 tile, it just isn't there in the earlier versions.

What about the 905, does it suffer the same condition? I'm trying to decide which model would be best for me (please don't say 922 because I'm not prepared to spend that kind of money). I've read the comparisons between the two and here's what I see as the pros and cons:

Pros
920: S-video output, UHF remote, handles analog
905: 2 video outs, 1 video in, 25 timers, handles SCPC DCII

Cons
920: only one video out, only 5 timers, only handles MCPC DCII
905: no S-video out, only IR remote, no analog (must be slaved)

To me the timer thing seems like an issue, but then again I don't know if timers will even work without a guide. On the other hand, picture quality over S-video would be desirable. I also don't know if the 905's have the same battery issue as the 920's.

Any opinions?

Not an issue with the 905, in fact it has a cool feature the others don't, the ability to put it in business mode so that it will not download new maps, a nice thing to have if you customize them with 4play.

I've been leaning toward the 905 all along, but I'm just concerned that the compressed HITS feeds will look crappy over RCA cables. There's currently another thread here about the HITS feeds being okay if sent through S-video, but I'm sure RCA would be reasonable considering the value.

In terms of 4Play, I'm aware of it and it sounds like a great option but I have to do more reading about that because I'm not sure how it all works. Would be great for mapping in some channels such as Access on Anik F1 (I like that station).

They should really make a FTA/4DTV combo unit and offer more sbscription stuff on KU. I am sure people would subscribe. In fact if it was done correctly it could lead to another satellite revolution like we had with C Band.

Small stearable dish, ala carte subscription services people want, and the ability to watch FTA on the same unit sounds like a great thing to me!

They should really make a FTA/4DTV combo unit and offer more sbscription stuff on KU. I am sure people would subscribe. In fact if it was done correctly it could lead to another satellite revolution like we had with C Band.

Small stearable dish, ala carte subscription services people want, and the ability to watch FTA on the same unit sounds like a great thing to me!

We need more people to test this out, you should be able to slave a already authorized 4dtv to a motorized dvb setup, kind of like the oppisite of what most 4dtv owners do now, you can sub to programming on 4dtv on Galaxy-4 (X4) using 430 for hits, this is great for those who want some a la carte or movie channels for a good price along with there dvb in the clear feeds.

Motorola has a DVB mode on the newer model commercial receivers for FTA Mpeg II stuff. (was using one on Sportsman a while back) To bad they wouldn't put something like that into a 4DTV with blind scan to boot.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)