Status
Please reply by conversation.

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
Hey guys,
Every day around noon, I am getting digital breakup on FTA and 4DTV.
Even analog channels show bursts of sparklies.

I timed the interference and it occurs every 8 seconds exactly.

Today it only lasted for a few minutes.

the western satellites are not as severe as the effects on the Eastern sats.

Amc-3 gets it the worst.

It is definitely TI, wonder from where. This is affecting C-band only.

Found this article:

911 Aftermath Plagues Satellite Reception in some areas

Electronicsinventions' phone have been ringing with callers from the east coast asking "Why are we having problems receiving C-Band 4 Ghz. satellite programming". It was commonly believed that airports simply "turned up" their radar. We have learned that there are up to six Awacs airborne radar planes monitoring the skies over major east coast cities. Those with spectrum analyzers report that the radar is simply overloading the LNBs on the antennas. This is affecting not only individual home "Big Dish" satellite viewers but commercial C-Band viewers whose business' requires monitoring of these signals.

The answer is simple, and expensive. Enter the Microwave Filter Company. They have been solving C-Band interference problems since the days of ATT's ground microwave towers, which since have been largely replaced with fiber. These folks that can be found at <http://www.microwavefilter.com> have created a bandpass filter, for a price. For about $550 users can buy their filter will solve the problem. Users tell me you have to use the 7832D filter, a PLL lnb won't do the job. If you live in the effected areas you will either have to get a filter, or try so shield the antenna which may not work, or wait and hope the problem goes away. We haven't heard of anyone digging a hole with a bulldozer and placing the dish in it to hide it from microwaves yet like the did in the early days of satellite but microwave interference is back as a problem for the 911 generation on the East Coast.

For rurther information on the AWACS go to ; http://www.af.mil/news/factsheets/E_3_Sentry__AWACS_.html

Well, since I am pretty sure it's not my equipment malfunctioning, I ThanK God those guys are up there flying around watching out for all of us.

A few minutes a day of losing tv is well worth it.

Because of the many articles concerning AWACS patroling the skies after 9-11 and interference, I can understand why many believe any interference is caused by AWACS. However, the rotodome rotates at 6 rpm which would give you an interference spike every 10 seconds. There are several general aviation radar models rotating at a speed which would cause a signal every 8 seconds. There is also a general aviation transponder/interrogator that operates on the 1030-1090 mhz range (the same range of the down-converted frequency from the LNB). If the direction of strongest signal happens to be in the general direction of an airport or the approach/departure to an airport, the interference may be coming from a particular aircraft landing or taking-off from that airport at the same time every day. Good luck and have fun.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts