actuator - much for me to learn

Status
Please reply by conversation.

techno935

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Pompano Beach, FL
How is the actuator calibrated against the true position of the dish/receiver?

For example.:

I started in the hobby with FTA (Ku band) and a modern day USALS/Diseqc motor. I point the motor assembly/dish towards truth south (AMC-5) 79 west and viola, the motor/dish travel the entire arc without a problem.

Now, with C-band, how does this calibration process work? AMC-5 doesn't list any C-band transponders. How would I calibrate my future actuator/BUD setup? How is this done? Do you even involve your true south bird for C-band motors (actuators)?

Use the closest C band to true south that you can. You should have declination set correctly for your location ahead of time, then peak on elevation and azumith. Start moving the dish across the arc with the actuator, go as far as you can in each direction, but still get signal from whichever satellite. Check to see if you are high on one side, low the other, this will tell you if the whole assembly needs to be rotated on the pole. I find this adjustment to be the one most commonly needing adjustment. Then re-peak on the closest to true south, and go through the process all over again, and again. If you finally find yourself in a situation where you are either too low or too high at both the E and W extremes, only then is it time to adjust declination, which will require readjusting elevation as well. Then you can finally put the true S Ku band bird to work, as you will have to dial it all in on the arc much closer for Ku. It just takes a long time, going through the process over and over, getting it a bit closer each time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cbs Itc

Terrestrial interference

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)