4DTV receiver not able to be authorized...Suggestions?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kraftwerk76

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
--Hi, all. I finally got my 8.5' dish and 4DTV receiver installed yesterday and I can receive everything from W3 at 87 deg. to F4 at 137 deg (I could probably receive one or two more sats. if I could catch a wild feed at the right time). However, when I called NPS to get my receiver authorized, the "DC" light would not come on (they said the DC light needs to be on before they can authorize it). They told me to go to G5 channel 100, and also G1 channel 3, but neither time did the "DC" light come on. I'm guessing I am not quite on the arc, mainly because when I tune to the channel "TBN" on G5 it has got quite a few sparklies on it, as does the channel "Classic Arts Showcase" on G1. Since I am getting the sparklies on the western satellites, and assuming I am off the arc, how exactly should I remedy this situation?

--When I talked to NPS, they referred me to the 4DTV manual and do a "fine tune". Well, knowing my luck with trying to set up satellite systems and stuff, I knew that that would be too easy of a fix. Sure enough, the fine tune did nothing to help. I had a guy come and install the system for me that lives 4 hours away, but yesterday was the second time he came down. The first time, my new 4DTV receiver would not come out of the "warm up" mode, so we were unable to program the receiver and peak the dish. I am getting discouraged with this C-band stuff, ugh. Thanks for your help.

On G1, can you get TP 150? As far as the DC light?
I have heard that NPS can authorize from there. I, too, have sparkies on the same TPs. I can't even get the DC lite on TP 3, either. But I can on 150. And it has been that way for months.

--Hi. Yes, I can get channel 150 and the DC light is actually on. Are you pretty sure that NPS can indeed authorize on channel 150? If so, I will call them back. Or, is there another company that will authorize on channel 150? Thanks.

Have you played with the skew and dish position, G5 is very strong, do you have any trees in the way? You may need G1-3 or G5-12 for 4dtv digital authorization.

--Hi. I just got off the phone with Satellite Receivers C band and 4DTV satellite programming and I was able to authorize my receiver on G1 channel 150, so THAT is done. They were quite nice. However, the problem of NOT having the DC light come on sat. G1 chan. 3 is still there. I really want the program guide. Will the program guide add more channels to the receiver, or is it simply to see what is coming on on various channels? Right now, my trip counter is at "6", and where it reads "channels", it reads "4701". It started downloading all of those channels from G1 channel 13 last night (the DC light is lit up on channel 13, BTW).

--TDI1, yeah, I have played with the skew, frequency, and even the position of the dish. I have found several new digital channels now, but not all are in the receiver still. For instance, on C4, I cannot get channels 100-120 which are Encore channels. Also, on G1 I cannot get channel 581 which is Fox News. Oh well. I checked again, and I still cannot get G1 channel 3. Ugh.

G-15 transponder-3 (G1-3 167 and up) are the distribution channels of Encore, you should be able to pull those in at 99 quality on a 10' with a clear line of sight. What is your quality on 150? this should be 99, HBO 112 and 102 should be in the 80's, if not then the dish is in need of alingment.

What is your quality on G3-600 and up? those are very strong, the Stars distribution channels on G-14 transponder 12 (G5-100 and up) are also very strong.

Look here to help set the dish and feed.
Footprints by Dish Size - Adjusting the Polar Mount for Prime Focus Antenna - C/Ku-Band Satellite Systems - Tuning, Tracking, Azimuth, Elevation, Declination Angles, F/D Ratio, Focal Distance, Inclinometer, LNB/Feedhorn Assembly, Actuator Assembly, C

Isn't g1 150 the same as g1 3.? I wonder why would be able to get one and not the other. I just got my BUD going again and the 920 receiver I got would not lock G1 3 either until I ran across this message from Darryl at sat forums. I tried it and within seconds g1 3 was locked and the DC light came on. I don't know if it will work for you. But It won't hurt to nothing to give it a try.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try peaking the dish position and polarity on G1-5 (Classic Arts Showcase).

Then tune to G1-3. If you don't get a digital lock press Options 6778 on the remote (don't pay any attention to the displayed menus when doing this).

Then choose the 1st Option (Manual Tuning) in that menu.

Then Highlight "Tune" and press enter on the remote.

Wait a few minutes to see if you get a digital lock. If you do get a lock just let the receiver sit for 10 or 15 minutes.

To kbghdg: Sorry, I should have told you I have a 922, not a 920. In the "6778" I was supposed to press, I have a "6", but no 7,7 or 8.

To Tdti1: On G1-150, the quality is 75/119...if that's not the signal reading you mean, I found another one that shows at the top right of the screen in a rectangular box and it reads "45". G1-112 and G1-102 both read "1". Also, G3-600 reads "Signal 78", "Quality 66", and that is after I moved the dish to peak it.

--Thanks for your help.

From the instructions I posted.

<<don't pay any attention to the displayed menus when doing this>>

So I would press options 6,7,7, 8 and see what comes up
regardless if you have a choice of option 7 or 8 in the menu. My 920 has no option 7 either but if I press option 6778 it brings me into the manual tune menu. Maybe your 922 is different. I don't know
But I do know a well tuned dish makes the 4DTV a joy to use and very simple. Keep at it I am sure you'll get it. You might want to get the installer back out and have him bring a small tv and your receiver out to the DISH and start peaking and lock the HBO's on G1. If the installer still can't do it. Get someone else who can and tell the first guy to stick with the little dish installs.:D

To kbghdg: Sorry, I should have told you I have a 922, not a 920. In the "6778" I was supposed to press, I have a "6", but no 7,7 or 8.

To Tdti1: On G1-150, the quality is 75/119...if that's not the signal reading you mean, I found another one that shows at the top right of the screen in a rectangular box and it reads "45". G1-112 and G1-102 both read "1". Also, G3-600 reads "Signal 78", "Quality 66", and that is after I moved the dish to peak it.

--Thanks for your help.

What size dish do you have? those readings are low but with a quality of 76 on 150 you should have maybe a 50-60 something on 167 and up, when on G1-150 go outside and slightly push the dish up then pull it down while monitoring the quality level, your dish must be off the arc, also the feed placement is very important, if you do not have the specs for the dish you will need to do some measuring and math.

It may be a polar axis adjustment if you notice the quality goes up with pushing and pulling, if you had a tech come by and he did not have a spectrum analyzer or did not do any measurements and feed adjustment, then he may not be the right guy for the job, is your pole plumb?

From the instructions I posted.

<<don't pay any attention to the displayed menus when doing this>>

So I would press options 6,7,7, 8 and see what comes up
regardless if you have a choice of option 7 or 8 in the menu. My 920 has no option 7 either but if I press option 6778 it brings me into the manual tune menu. Maybe your 922 is different. I don't know
But I do know a well tuned dish makes the 4DTV a joy to use and very simple. Keep at it I am sure you'll get it. You might want to get the installer back out and have him bring a small tv and your receiver out to the DISH and start peaking and lock the HBO's on G1. If the installer still can't do it. Get someone else who can and tell the first guy to stick with the little dish installs.:D

--Hi. Last night when I pressed the first 7, and I saw nothing come up, I thought "hell, nothing happened", then I pressed the second 7, and still nothing happened, I gave up, figuring since I had a 922, the menus were different. So, I tried it again, but this time I pressed the final number, 8. 6778, tada! I was able to get into the menu. I found the manual tune, pressed tune and it read "tuning". I waited a while, but after a few minutes, nothing happpened regarding the DC light. I'm assuming I need to slightly raise or lower the dish to get a better quality reading since the quality reading on G1-3 is still only "1". Thanks.

--Somebody asked about trees. I DID have several trees in the way due south of me, so I cut'em down, however, looking outside at the dish with it facing G1, the sky is completely clear. Regarding the trees, I cut down about 16 or 17 of the suckers that were facing South, South-West and South-East, so that just in case I DID have a problem, trees were not the culprit. Regarding dish size, I have the Kaul-Tronics 8 1/2 footer from Skyvision (though Skyvision calls it a "Skyvision 8.5", it's really a Kaul-Tronics).

EDIT: For some reason, this morning, I was (still am) able to get the DC light on G5-100. I had made no adjustments to help bring in the light. Kinda odd.

Last edited:
--Regarding Fox News: The magazine I get, Satellite Orbit, lists Fox News Channel as being on G1-581, but it's not even on that satellite! No wonder I could not receive it. It's actually on G3. Oh well.

Yay, sort of.

--Well, I finally got in G1 channel 3 good enough to get the DC light to show up. I adjusted the elevation of the dish. The signal quality is only 35, but it is better than what I had, which was "1", haha. I moved the dish elevation up and down for the best signal, but all I could get was a 35. But, as long as I can download the guide, I will be happy.

--Oh, I forgot to ask. People have said that the guide on G1-3 downloads every night at 2am, but what time zone is it?

Last edited:
--Well, I finally got in G1 channel 3 good enough to get the DC light to show up. I adjusted the elevation of the dish. The signal quality is only 35, but it is better than what I had, which was "1", haha. I moved the dish elevation up and down for the best signal, but all I could get was a 35. But, as long as I can download the guide, I will be happy.

--Oh, I forgot to ask. People have said that the guide on G1-3 downloads every night at 2am, but what time zone is it?

Glad to hear you finally got the g1 3 to light up. Keep tweaking the dish and I am sure you'll be able to get the quality in the 90's. Besides your gonna need it if you ever decide to subscribe to the Hbo's on G1. You may even have to adjust the feedhorn ever so slightly. When I was adjusting my dish FOR BEST QUALITY. I took a felt pen marker out to dish and marked the current locations of feedhorn and the polar mount. (elevation and axis)
I did this just in case I made it worse than before I could always move everything back to where it was.
Hope this helps

Ipg

--Is it normal for the program guide to display the satellites and names of channels but NOT the television shows on those channel? For some reason, the prog. guide shows the list of all the sats. and hundreds of channels, but no television shows are listed. Something's not working right, I guess.

Besides your gonna need it if you ever decide to subscribe to the Hbo's on G1.

To max out G1 use the HBO's since they use a 7/8 FEC, and are harder to get. If you max the HBO's everything else on G1 will fall into place. :)

--Is it normal for the program guide to display the satellites and names of channels but NOT the television shows on those channel? For some reason, the prog. guide shows the list of all the sats. and hundreds of channels, but no television shows are listed. Something's not working right, I guess.

Is the guide "searching for information" when you open it. If so it hasn't downloaded yet. I don't know if a "Quality of 35" is even good enough for the guide. You need to keep tweaking the dish and get the quality numbers way up. And as someone else mentioned tweak the dish so you can lock G1-100 with a viewable picture and the rest will fall into place.

Is the guide "searching for information" when you open it. If so it hasn't downloaded yet. I don't know if a "Quality of 35" is even good enough for the guide. You need to keep tweaking the dish and get the quality numbers way up. And as someone else mentioned tweak the dish so you can lock G1-100 with a viewable picture and the rest will fall into place.

--Yeah, the guide still reads "searching for information". It's weird though, why it was only partially able to download the channel titles, but not what shows are coming on.

--I noticed my "Trip Counter" went up again. What's that all about? When I first got the rcvr. authorized, it went from 0 to 6. Later, it was 7, 8, 9 and now 10.

--Anyway, I'm about to start tweaking on the dish again. Wish me luck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)