4K Bluray & Streaming: HDR/Dolby Vision..what should I do?

JosephB

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Atlanta
So I just bought an LG B6 series TV this week. It's got HDR10 and Dolby Vision

I already have an Xbox One (not the S), so I also picked up the Samsung 4K Bluray player. I have a Hopper 3 with Dish Network.

Here's my dilemma: I'm having some issues getting ARC working, so I can't really use Amazon and Netflix built into the TV for HDR support in those streaming apps. Since the Xbox doesn't pass through 4K, my Hopper now connects directly to my receiver. I'm starting to run short on HDMI inputs.

My question is: in 4K Blurays, am I going to run into Dolby Vision vs. HDR10 discs, or are all 4K blurays HDR10?
Do 4K HDR capable Rokus support Dolby Vision?

I'm considering taking back the Samsung 4K Bluray player and getting an Xbox One S and a Roku Ultra. My end goal is to have the maximum HDR support. I know the Xbox One S doesn't do Dolby Vision, but if 4K Bluray doesn't support Dolby Vision that's fine. This would clear up an HDMI input for me. And if the Roku Ultra supports Dolby Vision, that gets me Amazon and Netflix Dolby Vision without having to try to fix the ARC problems.

Help!

All DV UHD discs will have an HDR10 base layer, its required.

Rokus do not do DV

The LG UHD player coming out mid to late March ($299) is DV capable, and will hopefully have full UHD/HDR streaming apps. Im trying to find one player that does it all, my Panny 900 has UHD Netflix and Amazon, but only HDR for Netflix.

You don't mention which receiver you are trying to use ARC with from the TV. Are you plugged into the HDMI port that supports ARC? Do you have HDMI CEC enabled on both the TV and receiver? ARC is not my favorite feature, but it can work. You can also use an optical cable from your TV to the receiver for your TV apps.

S~

All DV UHD discs will have an HDR10 base layer, its required.

Rokus do not do DV

The LG UHD player coming out mid to late March ($299) is DV capable, and will hopefully have full UHD/HDR streaming apps. Im trying to find one player that does it all, my Panny 900 has UHD Netflix and Amazon, but only HDR for Netflix.

Okay, that's great to know. I might take the Samsung back and just wait for the LG player, then. I only have two UHD discs so it won't be the end of the world to wait

You don't mention which receiver you are trying to use ARC with from the TV. Are you plugged into the HDMI port that supports ARC? Do you have HDMI CEC enabled on both the TV and receiver? ARC is not my favorite feature, but it can work. You can also use an optical cable from your TV to the receiver for your TV apps.

S~

It's a Sony STR-DN1070. Using the correct output from the Sony and the correct port on the TV. CEC is turned on according to the directions in both the Sony instructions and in the TV instructions, I just never get any audio coming back over the HDMI cable no matter what I do

Originally, an optical cable from the TV back to the AVR wasn't really an option, because the TV is above the fireplace and the HDMI cables are run through the wall, but separately last night with the Planet Earth broadcast I had to troubleshoot issues with my Hopper sending 4K and it turns out the HDMI in the wall is bad/not up to par, so I am likely going to have to pull the TV off the wall and snake some new HDMI, and when I do that I might just pull an optical cable and be done with it

You can also use an optical cable from your TV to the receiver for your TV apps.
IIRC, DD+ only travels over HDMI by convention. The TV may or may not provide an alternative surround encoded audio stream; perhaps PCM.

The least fussy solution is probably to acquire a more capable AVR.

IIRC, DD+ only travels over HDMI by convention. The TV may or may not provide an alternative surround encoded audio stream; perhaps PCM.

The least fussy solution is probably to acquire a more capable AVR.

The AVR is a Sony STR-DN1070, it's not a slouch. I am convinced the ARC problems is on the TV side

The AVR is a Sony STR-DN1070, it's not a slouch. I am convinced the ARC problems is on the TV side
I wouldn't go there until after you've confirmed that the HDMI cable isn't the problem. Contrary to the marketing efforts, ARC does NOT require a special HDMI cable. Just one that is fully functional.

I just read at Home Theater Review that ARC is no more capable than SPDIF (digital coaxial) and as such, cannot pass DD+.

http://hometheaterreview.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-arc-audio-return-channel/

I wouldn't go there until after you've confirmed that the HDMI cable isn't the problem. Contrary to the marketing efforts, ARC does NOT require a special HDMI cable. Just one that is fully functional.

I just read at Home Theater Review that ARC is no more capable than SPDIF (digital coaxial) and as such, cannot pass DD+.

http://hometheaterreview.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-arc-audio-return-channel/

I did use a different HDMI cable not going through the wall. That solved my initial HDMI-related problems (sparklies on dark screens + simply unable to pass 4K from my hopper) and is how I verified the in-wall HDMI cable is bad, but it did not resolve the ARC problems

The LG has weird options around ARC and keeps wanting to do both ARC + audio out through the TV speakers. I think it's just a CEC incompatability between the LG TV and the Sony AVR. My Samsung 4K Bluray player was also causing CEC havoc, constantly switching the AVR input to the Samsung even though I was trying to watch something from the Hopper.

CEC is such a cluster, since I need to run new HDMI in the wall to solve the 4K issues, I'll just pull an optical cable along with it and be done with the whole affair

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts