4K Events Discussion Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
They are actually shooting it in 8K, then downconverting it to 4K on site which takes time. They can't do it in real time. Not yet...

Ok, thanks. That actually makes me feel better about the situation.
It just assumed it was part of their plan rather than a technical limitation.

The guide in 4k is nice but the HDR makes the whites of the guide way too bright and it's incredibly harsh to look at. If Dish makes HDR content more common, they should spend the time to make the guide look good in HDR. Limit the nit levels of the letters (no need for 1000 nit light coming from the guide).

It is blinding! The white literally hurt my eyes from 12' back.

I just did a chat and had a very concise answer that to watch the Olympics in 4k, AT120+ is needed. I was on Flex, but changed for this month to AT200 as to not also lose the Hallmark channel for the wife.
Did you happen to ask whether you can switch back and if you lose any pro is or pay penalties for doing so?

I guess you could go into your TV settings and tone down the brightness some.
It is not a special guide just for 4K HDR. It is the same guide that you get with regular TV. You wouldn't want to make brightness adjustments based on how the guide looks, it will effect everything you look at...

Did you happen to ask whether you can switch back and if you lose any pro is or pay penalties for doing so?
I didn't ask about losing any promos. But the package change is the same, if you change before 30 days there's a 5 dollar penalty.

I just did a chat and had a very concise answer that to watch the Olympics in 4k, AT120+ is needed. I was on Flex, but changed for this month to AT200 as to not also lose the Hallmark channel for the wife.
That sucks. I would think the 24hr delay would bring 4k to everyone. Not worth switching off Flex for me, finally got my bill under $100.

Reactions: pattykay
So, can it be confirmed that those of us who have non-HDR 4K sets are left in the dark when it comes to the 4K Olympic broadcasts on Channel 540 or 147-05? I added both to my guide but have the dreaded incompatible TV messages on both channels. I don't quite understand this as all previous 4K content from DISH played fine and without issue on my Samsung 4K TV. What a bummer if this is indeed the case. Also, why would there be two separate 4K Olympics channels? Wouldn't that logically tell us that one channel will be 4K HDR and the other just 4K?

The 4K channels show up on my Hopper 3’s guide, but the Hopper 3 is connected to my projector which supports 4K & HDCP 2.2 but not HDR. So those channels won’t work. What’s more, the channels don’t appear on my Joey 4K which is connected to a 4K HDR TV (I get the same error messages as everyone else). So it’s a no go there too.

Now, will someone please remind me why I’m paying Dish all this money for these 4K boxes when they won’t do 4K the one time I’ll actually use it?!

You need to contact Dish support to find out what is wrong with your Hopper 3 - TV setup. A 4K non-HDR TV should have no problem playing content using HDR. The HDR signals are simply ignored but you still get 4K resolution. It would be similar to Dolby where a non Dolby setup still gets the program but it is stereo.

The Fox Sports that Dish broadcasted in the fall also had HDR content. So if you were able to see them with your non-HDR TV you need to find out what has changed.

See my post 226 for a link to AVSForum that explains why non-HDR TV’s can watch Programs that include HDR flags.

Reactions: littlecloud319
You'd think that I'd still be able to watch the 4K Olympics channels on my 4K non-HDR display, but it isn't working, and I have an HDCP 2.2-compatible projector. My UHD player manages to convert 4K/HDR/BT.2020 to 4K/SDR/BT.709 but evidently that's too much to ask of the Hopper 3.

I have an HDFury Integral in my video chain and if I force a custom EDID (4K60-4:2:0 12-bit HDR BT.2020) that makes the Hopper 3 "think" I have an HDR-capable display and I can get the channel to appear. I don't see anything yet but the Dish 4K logo so I don't know how "off" the colors will be, but they very likely won't look right. Obviously the Hopper is waiting to see whether an HDR-capable display is connected before it'll show the channel.

I'm not the only one with this issue FWIW...another poster mentioned the exact same problem a few posts back. I believe that Dish themselves said a 4K HDR TV is required. That definitely seems to be the case.

What miffs me quite a bit more is that the Joey 4K isn't showing the 4K Olympics channels at all in the program guide. I thought it was supposed to mirror everything that the Hopper 3 could do. If not, what's the point of the damned thing?

Last edited:
Why is the 4K channel not showing on the 4K Joey?

Don't try to ask Dish that question; I just wasted a good hour of my life trying to get them to explain that to me. They don't have a decent answer. And they wonder why subscribers are dropping like flies...

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 10.56.49 PM.png

Basically, what I've learned is that the 4K Olympics channels will only work with a 4K HDR TV connected directly to a Hopper 3. Not a 4K non-HDR TV connected directly to a Hopper 3 (unless you're savvy enough to load a custom EDID -- which is a ridiculous hoop to have to jump through) and not a 4K HDR TV connected directly to a Joey 4K. What utter nonsense.

Last edited:

And when I chated it was said AT200 was min package.. sheesh =(

eiter way not upgrading just to see a little 4K. not big sports fans in this house, other than CFB!

When my 2yrs is up in a few months I may have to compare DirecTv. Since I can't stream 4K; and I bought a 4K Tv, guess I should try to use it before it dies...