Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
Looks like NBC is offering some 4K football to DirecTV customers. The guide has the Notre Dame game this coming weekend on the 4k station. Also had beach volleyball last week following the olympics.

So for 4k sports we have MLB Network Showcase and NBC Sports.

I'd really like to see the Sunday Night Football produced in 4K over Notre Dame, but it is a good sign none the less. Perhaps we could even get a NHL game from NBC in 4k, perhaps the winter classic or other big events.

Reactions: AZ.
I'm getting 4k genie installed today but really don't care about 4k until they start broadcasting football and other sports. I really hope some of the channels are added in 4k soon. I'm sure it will be a while before ESPN can afford to by new equipment so I'll keep waiting lol

Looks like NBC is offering some 4K football to DirecTV customers. The guide has the Notre Dame game this coming weekend on the 4k station. Also had beach volleyball last week following the olympics.

So for 4k sports we have MLB Network Showcase and NBC Sports.

I'd really like to see the Sunday Night Football produced in 4K over Notre Dame, but it is a good sign none the less. Perhaps we could even get a NHL game from NBC in 4k, perhaps the winter classic or other big events.
Now, this programming will still be on 106, right ? (At least in the 104-106 range, no where else yet)

Yes. It'll be on 106. I didn't upgrade to 4K yet so I'll probably stop by Costco and check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Why cant Directv actually name their 4k channels? It makes it messy when the are just called ch.106..Will the ever actually name them?

I'm sure it will be a while before ESPN can afford to by new equipment so I'll keep waiting lol
I believe everything at ESPN in Bristol is now 4K. I have been in there a few times and 4K Sportscenter looks AMAZING. No word though when the 4K will be made available to others though.

Somehow my main TV got a scratch on it so I might be getting a 4K soonish to replace it. I have 1 receiver now. I do not want more, therefore when a receiver can output 4K without a client needed, we'll talk. It probably isn't the same sin to watch HD on a 4K than to watch SD on a HD TV.

Hey ATT, get me a DVR that does 4K on it's own so I dont need two boxes and Ill sign up for UHD...
I think their are still going to have it that way if the rumors are true and the next DVR/Gateway will be headless and have clients hook up to that. You are still paying the advanced receiver fee and a mirroring fee anyway having two boxes depending on what original plan you signed up with.

Sadly I now get 721 on the 4k channels as I have the Xtra package. Perhaps they opened it up for the olympics, but it now requires Ultimate again.

Pretty said they are requiring Ultimate for these channel 106, it is essentially an extra fee for 4k as the programming is included in the main package.
If you want to have a 4k fee, then have one, don't hide it.

They disclose it appropriately, but that doesn't make it right.

So far there isn't enough that I will upgrade for the extra $9/month, and if there is something seriously compelling I suppose I could always go back and forth.

I think their are still going to have it that way if the rumors are true and the next DVR/Gateway will be headless and have clients hook up to that. You are still paying the advanced receiver fee and a mirroring fee anyway having two boxes depending on what original plan you signed up with.

My problem is two boxes. That is idiotic. I mean let’s look at most setups with a Genie. Where is your Genie going to be stationed normally? Main HT. Where is your best display going to be normally stationed? Main HT. Having two boxes for one video provider at the same location is lame. This isn't the early 90's.

I have avoided the upgrade on principal.

Reactions: osu1991 and mdram
My problem is two boxes. That is idiotic. I mean let’s look at most setups with a Genie. Where is your Genie going to be stationed normally? Main HT. Where is your best display going to be normally stationed? Main HT. Having two boxes for one video provider at the same location is lame. This isn't the early 90's.

I have avoided the upgrade on principal.
Isn't that only a problem for people who have one TV? You could place the HR-54 at another TV and the 4k client box at the 4k TV? Same thing with the headless gateway. That could go anywhere their is a coax outlet and the client box at the 4k TV. However I do think it still would be cool to have a Genie server that outputs to 4k over HDMI. Maybe ATT/DTV thinks that's too expensive and a 4k Genie like that would cost $400 or more?

Last edited:
Isn't that only a problem for people who have one TV? You could place the HR-54 at another TV and the 4k client box at the 4k TV? Same thing with the headless gateway. That could go anywhere their is a coax outlet and the client box at the 4k TV. However I do think it still would be cool to have a Genie server that outputs to 4k over HDMI. Maybe ATT/DTV thinks that's too expensive and a 4k Genie like that would cost $400 or more?
what if you have 2 4k tvs and currently have a genie and a regular dvr?

yes, but can onlky view 1 at a time, and then there is the tuner issue
Sorry I forgot about the 4k one stream at a time issue. Maybe the next server/gateway will be able to view multiple 4k streams at a time and have more regular HD tuners?

I have two dvr's for backup recordings, I really don't want a client... Id prefer a HR24 recording in the bedroom and a HR64 (or whatever) UHDDVR in the living room. I mean Dish did it, what's the big deal?

I think the rebels tech advancements got the big ol pause button due to the take over by imperial forces.

Reactions: ejb1980
I have two dvr's for backup recordings, I really don't want a client... Id prefer a HR24 recording in the bedroom and a HR64 (or whatever) UHDDVR in the living room. I mean Dish did it, what's the big deal?

I think the rebels tech advancements got the big ol pause button due to the take over by imperial forces.
I also forgot that aren't some people complaining about client connection issues?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)