4K Upgrade In 2022

This is what I was looking at ...
I have my genie 2 connected via wifi... but yes there's an ethernet port on the HS17

People use Genie2 for a whole lot of things.

Technically, the HR34 was Genie, HR44 should have been a Genie 2 and the HR54 a Genie 3, the HS17 is a different animal all together ...
Some call the Clients a Genie 2, which they are not.

The HS17 has also been labeled a Genie 2

Huh? I still don't get it. None of that is really correct

In DirecTVs eye, the HR34, HR44 and HR54 are all Genie DVRs and the term is used to interchangeably to identify all three models. The Genie 2 moniker has only been used for the HS17, the clients are Genie Mini. When the HR34 came out in 2011, the Genie brand name didn't exist. It was called a Genie ex post facto

Do you record in 4K ?

The world series in 4K killed my 2TB (internal) hard drive lol

And I'm glsd we have external storage some companies (altice /Optimum) auto delete your recordings after 14 days .

Spectrum... yea no cable video at my place their PQ was trash... had it many years ago compared it to D* ... evey other channel had an XRE error even showed the installer the difference (compared to D* ) he had no words told him take the stb out my house ... some of those cable cos are compressing all channels down to 720p...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Huh? I still don't get it. None of that is really correct

In DirecTVs eye, the HR34, HR44 and HR54 are all Genie DVRs and the term is used to interchangeably to identify all three models. The Genie 2 moniker has only been used for the HS17, the clients are Genie Mini. When the HR34 came out in 2011, the Genie brand name didn't exist. It was called a Genie ex post facto
Yes, 2011 is when they decided to get dumb and give them "Names" for thier recvrs for some stupid reason.
The other stupid thing is they tried to pass off that all three of the Genies were the same, when we all know they were way different from one another.

Yes, 2011 is when they decided to get dumb and give them "Names" for thier recvrs for some stupid reason.
The other stupid thing is they tried to pass off that all three of the Genies were the same, when we all know they were way different from one another.

That's no different than them calling all HR2x an "HD DVR", etc. just like cable companies do. People in the know could hold out for an HR24 from the installer if they tried to give them something older, but for the average customer it didn't matter and let Directv get more life out of the older stuff instead of becoming "obsolete" in the eyes of customers the minute a new model is released.

That's no different than them calling all HR2x an "HD DVR", etc. just like cable companies do. People in the know could hold out for an HR24 from the installer if they tried to give them something older, but for the average customer it didn't matter and let Directv get more life out of the older stuff instead of becoming "obsolete" in the eyes of customers the minute a new model is released.
I've got 3 HR24's that all realistically need replaced, but I'm not going to Clients, thats all they have to offer, so I will continue to use my slow response HR24s

Do you record in 4K ?

The world series in 4K killed my 2TB (internal) hard drive lol

And I'm glsd we have external storage some companies (altice /Optimum) auto delete your recordings after 14 days .

Spectrum... yea no cable video at my place their PQ was trash... had it many years ago compared it to D* ... evey other channel had an XRE error even showed the installer the difference (compared to D* ) he had no words told him take the stb out my house ... some of those cable cos are compressing all channels down to 720p...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Since I don’t have access to 4K, there is no way to record in it at present time. I treat DVRs as the temporary storage they are. I have no interest in keeping any recorded content the moment after I finish watching it. I loathe sports and have no desire to watch any sports in 4K, 8K, 12K, etc.

For my needs Spectrum is superior to DirecTV in nearly every single way. I’ve kept DirecTV for various specific reasons, now with the departure of OAN, 4K is the only thing keeping me from dropping them completely. Charter does not down rez HD content. Picture quality between the two is very comparable in my area and the 210 DVR upconverts 720p/1080i to 1080p.

Since I don’t have access to 4K, there is no way to record in it at present time. I treat DVRs as the temporary storage they are. I have no interest in keeping any recorded content the moment after I finish watching it. I loathe sports and have no desire to watch any sports in 4K, 8K, 12K, etc.

For my needs Spectrum is superior to DirecTV in nearly every single way. I’ve kept DirecTV for various specific reasons, now with the departure of OAN, 4K is the only thing keeping me from dropping them completely. Charter does not down rez HD content. Picture quality between the two is very comparable in my area and the 210 DVR upconverts 720p/1080i to 1080p.
Why have DirecTV then if you loathe sports, that is the only content they show in 4K and it is not even real 4K, just unconverted 1080P with HDR.

Keep your Charter and use the money that you spent on D* towards real 4K content on Netflix, Vudu, Hulu and the like.

By the way, Charter has nothing in 4K and every TV can up-convert, based on your logic, since DirecTV has 4K and Charter does not, you should drop Charter.

Reactions: AZ.
Why have DirecTV then if you loathe sports, that is the only content they show in 4K and it is not even real 4K, just unconverted 1080P with HDR.

Keep your Charter and use the money that you spent on D* towards real 4K content on Netflix, Vudu, Hulu and the like.

By the way, Charter has nothing in 4K and every TV can up-convert, based on your logic, since DirecTV has 4K and Charter does not, you should drop Charter.
I have no interest to stream anything, I’d rather just get the 4K blu ray. I get Netflix for ‘free’ with T-Mobile, and have it disabled in my account. Canceled my Amazon Prime subscription last year and I don’t miss Prime Video one bit. I check out HBO Max every few months but nothing of interest on their either.

While I initially subscribed to DirecTV again in 2011, there were a handful of reasons I maintained a subscription to both it and cable. Why choose when you can have them both? But over the years the reasons got whittled away. Access to 4K content is the one + in the DirecTV column. The only other compelling thing is DirecTV works during a power outage, and my power goes out frequently, for anywhere from a few hours to a few days. Since cable nodes aren’t on battery back up here, no cable internet, no cable TV, no cable phone. Hence why I have HughesNet, HughesNet Voice and DirecTV.

For my comment about unconverting, when I watch DirecTV my TV reports 1080i, even with 1080p selected as the only output resolution. When I watch cable, the TV reports 1080p. When doing an A-B comparison on the same TV between Charter’s two WorldBox DVRs, the 201 outputting 1080i and the 210 outputting 1080p, there was a noticeable difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts