5 new HD channels coming soon!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, kind of like how cable needs to dump the analog to free space for more digital HD, DirecTV needs to dump the SD duplicates and just offer down-converting receivers for those who still use tubes. This would free up a lot on 101 for more HD channels.

QVC HD and HSN HD I can continue to live without (or just put up my big dish), but I would really like to see eScapes HD, WealthTV HD, and all of the ES.TV HD networks on DirecTV.

I have said this for years. They should have stopped making mpeg2 boxes years ago. All new installs should be with mpeg4 boxes and just downrez for sd installs.

I agree. MPEG4 only local markets they get HD recievers regardless if they want HD or not. They get their locals in HD though

My uncle got D* about 2 months ago and they installed a 18" dish and 2 D12's :eek:
( I told him he should have got a DVR at minimum)

I am looking forward to bbca in hd so that I can watch doctor who, top gear, and sherlock in hd without having to wait for them to show up on Netflix.

My advice, if you know anyone that is ordering DirecTV SD only service tell them to tell DirecTV that NASA TV is a MUST for them.

I love NASA TV. When Disney Junior arrived, my wife and I were initially worried that we'd lose NASA (even though our 5 year old Claire is the target demographic of Disney Junior :), but thankfully we still have it. I'd love NASA HD (if that exists) but I'm happy to have NASA at all.

As for the new HD channels, can't wait for BBC America, but I've also been sampling NATGEO Wild in SD and am really looking forward to it in HD.

Last edited:
wvroland said:
I love NASA TV. When Disney Junior arrived, my wife and I were initially worried that we'd lose NASA (even though our 5 year old Claire is the target demographic of Disney Junior :), but thankfully we still have it. I'd love NASA HD (if that exists) but I'm happy to have NASA at all.

As for the new HD channels, can't wait for BBC America, but I've also been sampling NATGEO Wild in SD and am really looking forward to it in HD.

yup nasa hd exist You can watch at: www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/ustream.html and the feed is hd

Is NASA on Ku at all? I would think it would be as I would not think all schools would want to have to get a huge C-Band to get the NASA Educational channel.

EDIT: Nevermind, answer found at NASA's site:

faqminus.gif
Is NASA TV available on Ku-band? What about analog?

No. NASA TV is C-band digital only and no longer provides analog service.

Last edited:
NASA has been C-Band for decades.....it was analog for years and went digital a few years ago

They say on their site that they are not on KU Band/ Here locally both the old high school and the junior high have C-band dishes on the roof for NASA

Just got this on twitter from @ESPN_Pac12blog: "Pac-12 Network's Gary Stevenson said he doesn't expect to have deals with satellite carriers in advance of Aug. 15 launch."

:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Iceberg said:
yes
now the question I have is this.....if you have a local Ion station (which is really just a remap of the national feed) will Directv remap the HD feed too?
As example I get Ion E on 305 but also on the locals on 41. So hopefully they remap the HD feed to your local affiliate # is you have one

Won't work for those outside the eastern time zone. Here on the left coast for example will have the programming off by 3 hours

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 3GS using SatelliteGuys

Even if it's stretched for a lot of programs I'd rather that then postage stamp. (I use pillar box) I only miss DIY HD and ID HD. So if they'd add them I'd be happy.

HGTV and DIY are owned by Scripps. When HGTV went hd, much of their sd content was stretched. Now not very much is. Hopefully if we ever get DIY hd it will be the same.

Won't work for those outside the eastern time zone. Here on the left coast for example will have the programming off by 3 hours

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 3GS using SatelliteGuys

Eastern and Central are usually "joined" together
8p Eastern & Pacific
7pm Central

But looking at the charts Directv uses both spotbeams and a CONUS spot for Ion. As example here in Minneapolis its on spotbeam but in other markets its just the remap of the national feed.

Same with Mountain and Pacific feeds...remap of the Ion West feed in alot of cases including LA

DIY HD is mostly HD content. DIY has been available in HD for over 2 1/2 years. When I was with Dish I watched DIY alot and their content is 30-50 percent HD.

I've had DirecTV for almost 2 years now, and still no DIY HD. I hope the tide has finally shifted, on adding Non Premium HD. DirecTV is still lacking many channels HD channels carried by Cable companies and Dish Network.

The biggest still not available on DirecTV

BBC America (although should be coming soon) * on Dish
H2 HD * on Dish
DIY HD * on Dish
ID Discovery HD * on Dish
EPIX HD * on Dish
HLN HD * on Dish
Fox Movie Channel HD
LMN HD * on Dish
Cooking HD * on Dish
Style HD * on Dish
OWN HD * on Dish
We HD
Logo HD * on Dish
Nat Geo Wild HD (although should be coming soon) * on Dish
QVC HD
HBO Family West HD
Encore West (and the rest of the encore Theme channels) HD
RetroPlex HD
IndiePlex HD
IFC HD
ION HD (although should be coming soon)
Disney JR. HD (although should be coming soon)

Lets hope the new encoders eases worries at allows DirecTV to starting to add the missing HD channels.

John

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts