522 & HD Networks

jlhugh

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 25, 2003
Austin, Texas, United States
OK, I can receive ABC in HD using the tuner on my TV. I have to record ABC using the 522 since I have not upgraded to an HD receiver yet. Last night we start watch a Grey's Anatomy from about 3 weeks ago and I notice the picture is quite a bit better than the SD picture I usually get when watching recorded shows. In the bottom corner it show up at ABC HD. I have never seen this before unless I am actually watching HD. Now, it is not an HD picture, but it is a hell of a lot better than the SD versions of Grey's I watched before. It is not stretched even though I have my TV in wide mode. And when the commercials come on it shrinks down to a 4:3 just like it does in HD. It is not just that show either. All the shows on that channel are doing that if they are broadcast in HD. I have not check any shows on CBS to see if they are doing the same thing. Was there an software upgrade that did this? Anyone else seeing this too?

huh? sounds like you were just watch your digital ota on your tv's tuner not the 522

believe me, that was what i thought too. i was watching it through the 522. i watched all 3 episodes i had recorded and they all did it. every now and then when it came back from commercial is would be in the normal SD then in a few minutes it switched over to the better picture with the HD logo. desperate housewives did it too. mystery to me.

Without a doubt your 522 is not receiving HD local channels.

One of two things could be the cause of this.

1. The local ABC station was broadcasting a downrezzed copy of the HD channel on their SD channel, which Dish uses for your locals on the 522.
2. Dish is using a downrezzed copy of the HD channel for their SD channel.

Without a doubt your 522 is not receiving HD local channels.

One of two things could be the cause of this.

2. Dish is using a downrezzed copy of the HD channel for their SD channel.

That's what Dish does in a lot of local in local cities. They grab the OTA digital broadcast, crop it to 4x3 internally and send it out to local subs. That's why the picture could look a little crisper, it's a better source.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts