Titanium LNBF Problem

LocutusOfBorg

I have better things to do
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
I'm not sure but I think this new 5G filtered LNBF that I got direct from Titanium is bad. It seems to be stuck on vertical polarization. Neither my osmio nor my XR-3 can pick up horizontal signals - actually, they're intermittent on the horizontal but solid on the vertical.

I'm sure you already knew it but I thought I'd mention it for those that didn't:

"On the C138 and C238 LNBF models, the “0” is aligned with the horizontal polarity probe. If installing on a motorized polar mount, drive the dish to the highest point of the arc and align the “0” scale mark with the horizontal axis of the dish. The “0” may be pointed to either the 9 or 3 o'clock positions (straight left or right)."

Reactions: primestar31
I'm sure you already knew it but I thought I'd mention it for those that didn't:

"On the C138 and C238 LNBF models, the “0” is aligned with the horizontal polarity probe. If installing on a motorized polar mount, drive the dish to the highest point of the arc and align the “0” scale mark with the horizontal axis of the dish. The “0” may be pointed to either the 9 or 3 o'clock positions (straight left or right)."
It is. Last time I checked with the XR-3 I had as much as 15.5 dB C/N on either the horizontal or the vertical. So I know it's aligned correctly. I'm getting vertical signals across the arc but no horizontal signals right now. Last time I had horizontal programming was this morning around 1000 MDT.

It is. Last time I checked with the XR-3 I had as much as 15.5 dB C/N on either the horizontal or the vertical. So I know it's aligned correctly. I'm getting vertical signals across the arc but no horizontal signals right now. Last time I had horizontal programming was this morning around 1000 MDT.
Contact Brian for warranty. He prefers using one of these methods for this sort of thing: https://www.titaniumsatellite.com/contacts.php

Reactions: Titanium
Agree, the reported problem sure sounds like the "0" skew stamp is aligned with the vertical axis of the reflector and not the horizontal axis.

Or

Damaged coax or fitting.

If it is intermittant, check for voltage chaNges at the LNBF.

Direct connection from the meter to the LNBF? No other switches, barrels or ??? Try a short jumper to test?

Measure the voltage at the LNBF. With the XR-3 on a vertical transponder, what is the measured voltage? With the XR-3 on a horizontal transponder, what is the measured voltage?

Place your XR-3 on a vertical transponder. Verify lock and CNR. Now, change the LNB type to Fixed 18Vdc. Is this vertical transponder still locked and showing SNR?

Happy to test and if defective, replace under warranty. If the voltage polarity switching has failed on a C138 or C238, there will always be a first!

Agree, the reported problem sure sounds like the "0" skew stamp is aligned with the vertical axis of the reflector and not the horizontal axis.
No. It isn't. I can provide a photo if necessary.
Measure the voltage at the LNBF. With the XR-3 on a vertical transponder, what is the measured voltage? With the XR-3 on a horizontal transponder, what is the measured voltage?
Horizontal 18.26VDC Vertical 13.24VDC
Place your XR-3 on a vertical transponder. Verify lock and CNR. Now, change the LNB type to Fixed 18Vdc. Is this vertical transponder still locked and showing SNR?
Anik F3 119W 3880V 12.7 dB C/N ...................... changing to fixed 18VDC the signal drops off.

Thanks. The voltage is correct and the polarity is switching. One more test if you would please try?

Place your XR-3 on a horizontal transponder with the LNB type to Fixed 13Vdc. Verify lock and CNR. Now, change the LNB type to Fixed 13Vdc. Is this horizontal transponder still locked and showing SNR? If stays locked, same SNR?

Thanks. The voltage is correct and the polarity is switching. One more test if you would please try?

Place your XR-3 on a horizontal transponder with the LNB type to Fixed 13Vdc. Verify lock and CNR. Now, change the LNB type to Fixed 13Vdc. Is this horizontal transponder still locked and showing SNR? If stays locked, same SNR?
101W 4180H............... no signal at all with 13 or 18 VDC. I had a picture about an hour ago but not now. (H&I East)

Does the 4180H transponder come in if the LNBF is rotated 90 degrees and powered with fixed 13Vdc?
I'll have to check that another day when we don't have thunderstorms in the area. It may take a few days to do that because of forecast thunderstorms. Besides, this is an intermittent issue. Right now I am getting a picture on 103 W 4040H (Grit TV) with C/N of 13.8 dB. But later I might not get anything on any horizontal transponder on any satellite.

I'll have to check that another day when we don't have thunderstorms in the area. It may take a few days to do that because of forecast thunderstorms. Besides, this is an intermittent issue. Right now I am getting a picture on 103 W 4040H (Grit TV) with C/N of 13.8 dB. But later I might not get anything on any horizontal transponder on any satellite.
Not getting anything on any horizontal transponder again. Vertical transponders come in fine.

Were you able to test as per last post? Based on the finding, will offer bench test and potential replacement via follow-up email.

Did you rule out feedline or connectors issue by testing with a short jumper or temporary coax drop?

So far the symtoms suggest either a drop in voltage or a defect in the polarity switch.