6 foot with HH Motor

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PKII

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
WV
I seen a photo on here somewhere that had a modified 6 foot with a HH motor. I was looking to see how I can use my old Fortec 6 foot with polar mount and convert it to be used with a HH motor. What was used to attach the motor to the dish? Which HH motor would handle a 6 footer? :confused:

Sadoun used to sell an H-H motor that would work with a 6' dish, but I don't think he does anymore.
Motech H-180 was the model, I believe, and you had to use it with an external V-Box positioner. Don't know if they are even on the market any longer.

Last edited:
I'm currently using an HH120 motor to move my 6ft WSI dish. See attached pictures. I ultimately would prefer to use the SG9120 motor as it moves faster and doesn't have any play like the HH120 but I need to further modify for the bracket for elevation so for now the H120 is working fine. I had to make a modified bracket and its really only possible because the total weight is similar to a 1.2M dish. You may want to weigh your fortec dish before attempting because my guess is the metal sheets are heavier than the WSI model. I can move back and forth between my LOS 72-135W with no prob.

Attachments

• finishes.jpg
    finishes.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 285
  • 72.jpg
    72.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 325
  • 135a.jpg
    135a.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 299
  • 135.jpg
    135.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 303
  • post 9.jpg
    post 9.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 295
  • post 4.jpg
    post 4.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 324
  • post 1.jpg
    post 1.jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 283
Ok. Thanks. Those are the couple of photos I had. Yeah the Fortec is heavier than this new WSI dish I have now.

Yeah I thought they did but I didn't see it when I looked. : /

Is this what you are looking for?

Attachments

• 6' Dish 007.jpg
    6' Dish 007.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 282
  • 6' Dish 002.jpg
    6' Dish 002.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 302
  • 6' Dish 003.jpg
    6' Dish 003.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 269
  • 6' Dish 001.jpg
    6' Dish 001.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 304
  • 6' Dish 006.jpg
    6' Dish 006.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 291
Is this what you are looking for?

So you are still using that dish. I thought you would be up to a twelve footer by now!Glad to see it is still working for you.By the way, nice mount adapter, I womder who came up with that! LOL.I hope all is well with you,Nick

Does anyone know why those Moteck HH180 motors were discontinued? They must have had some issues or they would still be around.

Probally just demand. Mjack has had mine for a couple of years now and apparenty it is still working.The motor did have alot of slop in it and would bounce around in any kind of wind, other than that it was fairly decent.

So you are still using that dish. I thought you would be up to a twelve footer by now!Glad to see it is still working for you.By the way, nice mount adapter, I womder who came up with that! LOL.I hope all is well with you,Nick

Yep! Still in service thanks to you. Your mount is holding quite nicely also.
Your old 8' is finally going to move to TN next week. I have been kinda occupied with some other matters of late but I want to get the 8' running up there unless I can find a 10' soon to take its place. :)
Nice to hear from you Nick. Take care.

Probally just demand. Mjack has had mine for a couple of years now and apparenty it is still working.The motor did have alot of slop in it and would bounce around in any kind of wind, other than that it was fairly decent.

Interesting, I have seen very, very few of those pictured or mentioned on this forum, always wondered where they went. I always wanted to try putting a 4-5 foot offset dish on one.

Yep! Still in service thanks to you. Your mount is holding quite nicely also.
Your old 8' is finally going to move to TN next week. I have been kinda occupied with some other matters of late but I want to get the 8' running up there unless I can find a 10' soon to take its place. :)
Nice to hear from you Nick. Take care.

On your way to TN stop by and let me show you what a 12 footer can do!

Looks like something that would work. Where did you get that?

Comptech gave it to me. I'll be moving soon and have another dish to replace it, so this one will be given to anyone who can use it.
Come and get it.

Comptech gave it to me. I'll be moving soon and have another dish to replace it, so this one will be given to anyone who can use it.
Come and get it.

If you weren't 1000 miles away I would. :D

If you weren't 1000 miles away I would. :D

:D I kind of thought that would be the case. Anyway, it was given to me by Comptech to get started in C band and I want to pass in on. I could try to get it to east TN for you but the timing would be unpredictable.
I tried to post it as free in the Classifieds but I can't anymore. I guess my membership there expired?

Btw, I am planing on hanging on to the LNBF but the rest is free to anyone who wants it.

If memory serves.... there was an occasional failure of either the upper or lower bracket/shaft/something with a few units.
Thought Sadoun said he was going to get a small mod for the next batch.
That was a few years ago.
Since then, the economy has been in the toilet, and probably Sadoun's hopes, too.

I remember seeing easy mods to the 6' fixed dish he sold at the time (Fortec Star?).
They consisted of re-using some of the lower support struts to mount the dish to that motor.
It was all super-simple. Anyone with a hack saw and the photo could do it. - :cool:

I nearly bought both the dish and the motor back then.
But at the time, the Vboxes were coming under some criticism.
Don't think the Gbox had come to the market, yet.

Eventually, I ran across two 8' dishes with H-H motors, and never looked back. :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.