6' or 8' dish on penetrating roof mount

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cracklincrotch

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I don't have a big yard and the wife doesn't want a BUD around. But I think I might have her on putting a BUD on the roof. The roof is trussed with a 6/12 pitch and 2x3" trusses.

Since a BUD is nothing but a big sail I figure it's going to want to move around a lot.

Anybody have experience/recommendations doing such a thing? This is still at a chit-chat-in-my-own-head stage but information is always good.

Take a look at Linuxman's roof.
It's flat, but he has multiple BUDs up there on NON-penetrating roof mounts!

*insert standard consult a Structural P.E. CYA lingo here*

You could bring the mounting pipe down through a roof jack (waterproof roof penetration "sleeve") into your attic, (possibly run it right up against one of your trusses for additional support) and set/attach it on some kind of reinforced/braced base.

Please refer all telephone calls regarding lawsuits for this advice to my Attorney, Mr. Junior Samples, Esq. @ BR-549. ;)

Usually a non-penetrating mount requres cinder blocks for ballast weight.
It's do able I am sure but you will have to do some good engineering first so you don't have a disaster later.

1. determine how much weight per square foot your roof can hold safely without damaging your house.

2. Figure out how many square feed the non-penetrating mount spreads the load on the roof.
3. Try to figure the maximum wind speed.
4. Is the dish solid or mesh....Solid collects a little more wind than mesh. above 50 mph I think the resistance is almost the same.

It would honestly be risky to some degree. Is your roof flat? Flat roofs are better for this.
It would honestly be better and safer if she would let you cement a pipe in the ground in the yard somewhere. Maybe a dozen roses, nice dinner would do....."Honey, I really like this hobby and you have hobbies too. I can do a good job on the install and it will not look junky or trashy" .......Should work every time LOL.

It's kind of funny how people think sometimes. My Mom live in my house with me since she has gotten older. She thought my dishes out back didn't look too good at first.
They are installed neatly and cleanly with underground conduits and I keep them painted flat black and clean.

Now that she watches FTA tv, she said she couldn't imagine just having only cable tv or pizza dish. I just set her bedroom up with a pansat 9200 HD tv connected to her Olevia HD tv. I also have a pansat 9200HD so when I scan in channels, I just use the usb drive to transfer my channel list to her receiver via the usb port.

She really loves the HD from FTA C-band. Her room uses my 7.5' dish while the rest of the house uses the 10' dish.
She has a v-box that moves the dish.

Your wife may get appreciative of the big dish after she sees what it has to offer

A 6/12 pitch is 45°, I believe. Very steep for a NPM. However, depending on the layout of the peak and south view, a post or tower up the side of the house MIGHT brace to the trusses or side of the house and let you put the dish there. Check engineering structure and be aware of wind load and NOISE. I just mounted a GEOSATpro on the peak of this house and then was disturbed by whistling I had never noticed before. When I covered the top of the mounting pipe the noise disappeared! Silencing a C-Band dish might be harder.

A 6/12 pitch means for every horizontal foot the roof rises 6 inches. This is pretty steep. I'm with truckracer. A pole in the ground would be alot better.

How bout this.... You put the pole in the ground next to the house and make it high enough to be above your roof? (Of course make sure the dish has full travel without hitting your roof). This would be a pretty long pole so I imagine it wouldn't be real cheap. May have to try a salvage yard. It would be tough to setup and service in the air as well.

Without seeing your yard it's hard to suggest anything else other than a pole somewhere in the yard high enough that your head wouldn't hit it when you walk under it. If you do that it doesn't take up much room. The only thing there would be the eyesore factor. You and I suspect the wife would have to determine that.:)

Well, we do get hurricanes from time to time here. None have been more than 120MPH. And if I knew that was coming, the dish would come down.

Guess I'm just concerned about it getting caught in the wind and taking some roof with it. And as for tying it to the house in the attic, I can't imagine how much it would cost me to get a welder in there and build a frame the post.

In my avatar, you'll see that on the left hand side I've got two 75E dishes on a 6"x6" post (my clothes line post). It's 4' into the ground in a round poured form. I have a 12' tall, 3" diameter, 3/16" thick mast from an old phone booth that has a rectangular wiring box welded to it, with 6 bolt holes through it. Does anyone here think that attaching that to that post and putting the dish way up in the air would be a problem? Should I be concerned about the post twisting in the wind? Should I use another post, say an 8"x8", instead?

I honestly would sweet talk the wife and not go with roof mounting a large dish. It's just kind of a bad idea unless you have a large flat roof.

So what you're really saying is that, it's easier to apologize than it is to ask permission?

Okay so it's:

1. Order it
  2. When it arrives, tell her it can't be returned
  3. Put it up, and put up.
  4. Warm her feet at night without complaint
  5. Appreciate every glance I get because that might be all I get.
  6. Enjoy HD feeds of shows before they air in prime time.
  7. Accept her apology.
Sounds like a plan. :rolleyes:

So anybody think an 6x6"x12 post, 4' into the ground, with a mast tied to it for adjustment purposes, would suffice?
Only if you plan on adjusting your dish every 6 months or more..just buy a steel pole. This ideal has been discussed before on another thread.

Only reason why I was thinking of bolting a pole to the 6x6 is that the 6x6 is already in the ground. That hill is nothing but medium sized rocks and clay backfill.

Here's a picture of the mast I was talking about. This mast is 10' tall, 3" diameter, with a box welded at the bottom. Figured I'd bolt it to the post that's already in the ground.

Attachments

• mast.jpg
    mast.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 238
If it's ony going to cost you a few bucks for Hardware, your time, and you can un-do it - "no harm - no foul", I'd give it a try.

Should I be concerned about the form that post is in now rotating in the ground?
If the Form does Not go to the bottom of the hole, it May Not be an issue, as long as it stays Plumb.
What other choices do you have?

Without getting an auger and doing another hole there is no other option.

So long as it doesn't snap the 6x6 off in the wind I don't think I've got anything to lose besides my time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)