612 OTA Issue

lawman1627

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 25, 2004
Rochester, NY
I just installed a 612 in my basement on a shelf above my 722, I used a splitter to split the OTA signal, the issue is on my 612, one of my UHF stations(8.1) has a good signal then after a couple of seconds the signal drops out totally. The 722 does not have this issue, so I undid the splitter and hooked the OTA directly into the 612 and I still have the same problem. I tried soft and hard reboots and the problem is still there. I remember when they did the switch (digital transition) that I had the rescan my locals several times to get them all. Am Im just not being patient enough or is the 722 tuner that much better. I also have a 622 and 722k and neither of them have this issue. Any ideas?

What is "good signal?" When it drops out, does it stay out in perpetuity, or come back a few seconds later?

Strangely your 612 my be getting some crossover interference from the other receiver. You should first try removing the splitter and hooking directly to the 612 to see if that helps. If it doesn't then try moving the 612 a few feet away from the other receiver just to test. If that doesn't help, you may need to try a different joiner/combiner at the antenna's (if one is installed).

The signal on the 612 is mid the low 80's out of 100, the signal goes down to 0 for about 3 or 4 seconds then right back up again. I did hook the main OTA feed directly into the 612 and the same issue happens, so I am ruling out the splitter, I even switched cables and the problem is still there. The 722 that is feed from the other side of the splitter is showing mid to upper 80's.

Well it just might be that that station has something in their data stream that the ViP612 doesn't agree with. It might be worth the try to contact the stations engineering department, explain you problem and find out if others with 612's are having like problems.

Bizarre. Sounds like multipath interference. But why should your 612 be so sensitive?

I did have a devil of a time with a UHF station (RF24) coming on June 12th only 2.5 miles away. This station completely overloaded a distribution amp I had before my splitter, and even removed and through a 4-way splitter still wiped out the tuner on my 612. This affected not only channel 24, but also many others even down into the high VHF. I was able to null out that station and get acceptable service on all nearby stations. But the "signal strength" meter was no help at all since it's actually reading some sort of inverse digital error rate. Signal strength can be too high.

Bizarre. Sounds like multipath interference. But why should your 612 be so sensitive?

QUOTE]

Somethings not right, I will call the station as mentioned and see what they say. I do believe hearing that that particular station was having problems with people receiving it due to the low signal being sent out. Just weird that my 622/722/722k do not have this problem.

Sounds like something flaky in the tuner of the 612 to me & not the station... If I remember right, the 612, 622, & 722 had the same OTA tuner, only difference being the 612 didn't have the TV2 output & the 722 had a larger HD...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)