622 Reboot

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
About once every 2 weeks, my 622 will just stop in the middle of watching tv and re-boot. It shuts off and I hear it ramp up, then the "1 of 5" screen shows up.

My updates are scheduled for EARLY morning, and this usually happens around 9-11am. Any ideas? Its not the "screeching" reboot people have had.

Kinda annoying, but not really a big deal. Just don't understand why it does that.

Just did it again. First time its happened twice in the same day.

Happened at 11:15 and 12:01 on FoodHD.

Screen freezes for about 5 seconds, then reboot.

Sounds like you might have a heat related issue. What are your temps showing? Is the 622 in an open cabinet?

Both times today were on FoodHD.

High temp 125
Low 100
Avg 109

Heres a pic of how it sits

Attachments

• Part 1.1.jpg
    Part 1.1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 195
Those temps aren't bad. And the setup looks nice. I haven't seen the reboots that you are talking about. Sorry.

Im starting to think the box may be going bad.

Got up this morning and all I could get on the HD channels was a black screen with sound. The SD channels gave me a black screen and no sound. OTA came in fine.

Check switch was okey dokey also. Hard reboot fixed it. My 622 has been almost trouble free up until lately.

Ive been having to reboot it once every few days lately because the audio gets out of sync also.

Your problems are related to the 1000.2. The most recent software has trouble with the bulit in switch that's in the 1000.2. I have similar issues.

Maybe its just a hiccup, seems to be random. Just never had two in one day like that before. Been fine ever since.
That's kind of how mine started. Soon after 4.01 it started but I was also getting the loud static (screeching). It got steadily worse in the next 2 months to a point where it was doing it many times a day. A couple weeks after 4.05 the screech part stopped and the reboots reduced somewhat but didn't stop.

To make a long story short, a Dish rep watching this forum read my complaints, PM's me and eventually had my unit replaced free of charge.

During the same period I also started getting the "LNB drift" messages (after a check switch) on the 622 and then the 942 started getting switch and signal loss errors too. Dish sent out someone who replaced the LNBS and realigned both dishes, also free of charge.

I hated loosing my 622's HDD contents but so far, I have not had any more problems with either unit.

I'd be glad to give you the name of the lady at Dish who replaced my 622 but don't know if I can post her name here.

Thanks Walt. Ill keep that in mind. Since I never had the screeches and have not seen an LNB drift, Id like to TRY and get to the bottom of it.

If it gets worse Ill PM you and maybe discuss my issues with the rep.

I've had the 622 reboot while watching, waited, found near the place, and it then may reboot on the same place or another. Need some statistics, or at least to record which shows. Sorry.

A new problem is it will stop play before the end and counter goes to zero. Yet the recording length seems OK. Usually if you back up with rewind or skip back you may be able to see the rest which may be say 20min/60. I think sometimes it needs a FP reboot, inconvient if you are recording. -- the weirdest one was an hour recording of Finale of CSI (HD OTA) that when played lasted only seconds but had the wrong channel banner as if from some other disk record since eliminated.
-Ken
Vip622 L405 D1000(110 119 129)/D500(61.5) DPP44

Reboots, jumps to the end and freezing are usually caused by the input stream being corrupted and the DVR can't handle the data. As others have said, sometimes you can FF past the bad spot and continue. Usually a result of poor signal quality, not a bug in the unit per se.

The lastest jump to the end was for Smallville on HDNet so don't think is was just a 129 poor signal problem.
That also does not explain sometimes being able to play through it on a second try. But rather than waste 4 minutes, I usually try to skip past it.
-Ken

I had my 622 replaced no less than five times because of the rebooting issue. The latest has also rebooted a few times. I think when 18 months is up it will be bye bye E*.

I had my 622 replaced no less than five times because of the rebooting issue. The latest has also rebooted a few times. I think when 18 months is up it will be bye bye E*.

This is an indication that the problem is NOT the receiver, possible weak signal or dirty power to reciever.

Odds of getting 5 defective 622 are so small as to be inconsequential - look elsewhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)