622 turns self off in a rainstorm?

catnap1972

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 26, 2004
Central Pennsylvania
Anyone ever seen this? I'd figure if a rainstorm comes through you'd get the "lost satellite"/"acquiring signal" screens, but a rainstorm just came through and my 622 just up and shut itself off out of the blue--no warnings or anything. Is this normal?

If I received a call from you at my work I would tell you to either connect it straight to the wall jack bypassing the surge protector and see if it does the same thing. If it does then i'd send you out a replacement receiver. With a power failure there isnt really much to troubleshoot

Mine restarted twice because of signal loss a few weeks ago. It's never done that before. It was absolutely not a power issue.

Interesting,

I just simulated a signal loss by disconnecting the sat main feed to my 622. After about 3 min of acquiring it rebooted. Then it when through 2 acq's (1st went to 3 of 5 and then it started over again(no reboot)) before it locked on. Wow! :eek:

Me-thinks that E* has a bug in their software. I'm on L621 on the 622.

I've also noticed that on this release, if you delete a show in a list of the same show (folders) and you exit back the show is still displayed in the list and will come up empty until you back out all the way.

Guess we'll see a download soon.

I'm glad to know that the reboot-on-signal-loss isn't just me. What the hell is Dish doing? It seems like with each upgrade, their signal handling gets less robust rather than more.

The failure to update the contents of a folder has also been noticed already, although on mine it will occasionally work right for no discernable reason.

From what people here have said, they actually stopped sending out 621 before everyone got it. I suspect this is due to a spectacular bug whereby if you use the new custom folder feature, accessing a recording in progress crashes the unit. (I have no intention of even creating custom folders on mine until this is reported fixed.)

If I received a call from you at my work I would tell you to either connect it straight to the wall jack bypassing the surge protector and see if it does the same thing. If it does then i'd send you out a replacement receiver. With a power failure there isnt really much to troubleshoot

^^^^^^^move to christiansburg our DD program is beast!

check your ground reflected signal will cause an issue with static buildup, surge protectors can too. its not going to be your receiver because i highly doubt that if the SAT IN cables were disconnected it would still power off

My 622 rebooted itself after losing signal this morning. A really big storm was moving across the area just to my southwest, and I lost signal. After 5-10 minutes of the usual "no signal" screen, the 622 rebooted. No idea why.

The 622 is running 6.21 firmware.

My 622 rebooted itself after losing signal this morning. A really big storm was moving across the area just to my southwest, and I lost signal. After 5-10 minutes of the usual "no signal" screen, the 622 rebooted. No idea why.

The 622 is running 6.21 firmware.

Hey Jeff! I lost signal for about 5 minutes (as dark as it got, I was surprised that was all), but no reboot. However, I got to OTA, so not sure if that would make a difference. BUT, we needed the rain!!

Hey Jeff! I lost signal for about 5 minutes (as dark as it got, I was surprised that was all), but no reboot. However, I got to OTA, so not sure if that would make a difference. BUT, we needed the rain!!

Mine stayed up during the hard rain around 9:00 this morning, then the rain stopped and it got REALLY dark. That's when I lost signal and had the reboot, etc..

Pretty wild day of weather!

Here's my guess...one of you LNBs has water getting inside or a non-water tight seal on one of your cables going up to your dish. The sat box provides DC power for the LNB. If as small amount of water was to get in, the power supply in the sat box may be detecting this as an over-current condition, thus forcing a "hard reset" whe the condition clears.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)