70+ HD Channels in Engineering Mode

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I see you are pretty much new here but Bschnieder is well known at AVS and other forums! If he post a list what he sees! Its there PERIOD! The guy has never been wrong about HD channels in the past. His word is as good as gold!;)
The Point is the info just numbers and words from EPG data.

NOT CHANNELS, what he SEES, but INFORMATION.

It can be taken using PC and DVB-S card without
receiver or his mystical 'test' smart card.

Just ask him to delect any of the channels and post real video.

I think thats a very important point, I bet a lot of this is going to be upconverted.
V, I don't know how old you are, but I'm old enough to remember when the networks began to broadcast in color. And they didn't just turn the switch one day to make every network show color, and eliminate B&W. It was a gradual process, over three or four years. This is a technology shift on the same scale, if not bigger.

WOW....Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

I am impressed by the list. Slightly disappointed that a good hunk of the channels are Regional sports, but hey what does not benefit me, will most likely benefit someone else. :up There are MANY channels that I will very much enjoy, such as Discovery, TLC, Bravo, History, etc.

Even if these new HD channels come online a little at a time, I will still be very pleased. :D:D

And you're right, I do feel like a kid during the Christmas season.

If Vurbano had been present when Jesus walked on the water his only observation would have been: "See, I told you he couldn't swim."

Some people never change!

Again, Vurbano's comment is probably true, and because of your personal feelings you continue to comment on the person instead of the reality. The fact is, the majority of people who have HD or are looking to get HD are probably not as educated as many of the people who post here. The majority of people who have HD probably don't have a clue about this site or other online forums. All they see is advertisements and announcements...more HD channels being added and, the expectation is, they will see HD programs, but, in reality they will see upconverted SD. I understand providers have to start somewhere and it will improve over time, but I hope people won't be disappointed. Because a channels is labeled HD does not make it HD. Unfortunately, this is the case with both DBS providers. Marketing can be misleading.

I wonder at what cost to the viewer will the addition of even half of these HD channels be. $30, $40, $50 or more? Will they offer an additional tier HD package like Dish did when they added VOOM and went to MP4? I hope it's not upconverted SD, that really irks me to no end when companies do that. We here on the forums may understand what they are doing, however the majority of consumers most likely would not. And to me that false advertising.....

Get rid of SD, bring on all channels in HD I say!

Well, I am glad that all you Direct TV fans finally may be getting some real HD, I have Dish and have been enjoying alot of HD well over a year. Actually, a couple of years. Nice of you all to be so patient and wait for them to fufill their promises. Well, actually, they still don't have them on yet, do they ?

That sure is a big list, gosh, how they going to turn all that on when a bunch of them don't even have HD broadcast or equpment yet. Oh, just a rebroadcast of an existing channel in a higher bitrate.

Well, Dish has done some of that too, turn on a channel and call it HD when it's not, or has so little content in HD, it's useless, they have 2 or 3 like that now. At least there is a little less pixelation and it's clearer on our big TV's.

When they do get it turned on, you will really like it, we sure have for a year or so !!

Not taht it really mattrers but what is the SAC MNT shown sharing a channel with Chiller?

Again, Vurbano's comment is probably true, and because of your personal feelings you continue to comment on the person instead of the reality. The fact is, the majority of people who have HD or are looking to get HD are probably not as educated as many of the people who post here. The majority of people who have HD probably don't have a clue about this site or other online forums. All they see is advertisements and announcements...more HD channels being added and, the expectation is, they will see HD programs, but, in reality they will see upconverted SD. I understand providers have to start somewhere and it will improve over time, but I hope people won't be disappointed. Because a channels is labeled HD does not make it HD. Unfortunately, this is the case with both DBS providers. Marketing can be misleading.

My comment was not meant to dispute Vurbano's contention about a lot of the so-called HD programming being upconverted SD programming. Nor was it particularly meant to be a personal slam against him.

Many of us who have followed his posts about D* over a fairly long period of time simply like to remind those who don't know (and love) him like we do that he tends to take the "glass is half empty" viewpoint almost always while others of us tend to be more of the "glass if half full" type of person.

Guess that's why Baskin Robbins has all those different flavors.

BTW he had a chance to switch to FIOS awhile back and chose not to do so, that's reality!

I wonder at what cost to the viewer will the addition of even half of these HD channels be. $30, $40, $50 or more? Will they offer an additional tier HD package like Dish did when they added VOOM and went to MP4? I hope it's not upconverted SD, that really irks me to no end when companies do that. We here on the forums may understand what they are doing, however the majority of consumers most likely would not. And to me that false advertising.....

Get rid of SD, bring on all channels in HD I say!
Well until we see what they do its really not fair to call it false advertising.
As of now it has been stated that the HD access fee will not increase. It gets you the HD version of whatever is in your package assuming that a HD version is available.

I don't post much, but read a lot on this forum. And it doesn't take a genius to realize that this is all a marketing ploy. Especially since some of those channels don't exist and probably won't for awhile.

One thing I do agree, is that this is a win-win for both Direct TV and Dish customers. In the end if this happens to be true, which I sure hope so, do you really think that Dish won't also carry most of those channels?

I don't post much, but read a lot on this forum. And it doesn't take a genius to realize that this is all a marketing ploy. Especially since some of those channels don't exist and probably won't for awhile.

One thing I do agree, is that this is a win-win for both Direct TV and Dish customers. In the end if this happens to be true, which I sure hope so, do you really think that Dish won't also carry most of those channels?

We appreciate the opinion but I dont think engineer testing channels is a marketing ploy. Directv's constant 100 HD channels via press releases and speeches is but this is more or less testing slots for channels that already exist, slot designated for ones about to go live, and slots for other channels where the parent company has agreements with Directv and is claiming a parking spot.

My guess is if you dont get one of the 150 HD parking spots now, you are going to SOL in a year from now. So while its early for some channels, this was only posted to show folks that testing is going on, the channels are not vapor, and some good stuff is coming. And believe it or not, the slots are filling fast and as crazy as it sounds, a year for now will have all the 150 allocated. So networks better get off their butts now and claim those spots.

What's funny, is both Dish and Direct fanboys, me included get excited about more HD, in 5 years time, hopefully less, it will all be that way and this waiting to get there, will all be a memory !

Many of us who have followed his posts about D* over a fairly long period of time ...
Yada Yada Yada. The reality of the situation is that we should not get too excited as to be in for a let down. MY guess is 50% of the material will be upconverted and 30% will be TNTHD's.:rolleyes:

Well, I am glad that all you Direct TV fans finally may be getting some real HD, I have Dish and have been enjoying alot of HD well over a year. Actually, a couple of years. Nice of you all to be so patient and wait for them to fufill their promises. Well, actually, they still don't have them on yet, do they ?

That sure is a big list, gosh, how they going to turn all that on when a bunch of them don't even have HD broadcast or equpment yet. Oh, just a rebroadcast of an existing channel in a higher bitrate.

Well, Dish has done some of that too, turn on a channel and call it HD when it's not, or has so little content in HD, it's useless, they have 2 or 3 like that now. At least there is a little less pixelation and it's clearer on our big TV's.

When they do get it turned on, you will really like it, we sure have for a year or so !!

We are so happy for you too. Feeling a bit ummm, left out. I mean you have to be bothered by all this to post that ridiculous post, pathetic.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)