70+ HD Channels in Engineering Mode

Status
Please reply by conversation.
We are so happy for you too. Feeling a bit ummm, left out. I mean you have to be bothered by all this to post that ridiculous post, pathetic.

Dishnetwork people won't be feeling left out until the channels go live and then only if Charlie indicates no way to carry them. Just my opinion. Why was it pathetic of the poster to state he has been enjoying more HD for a year?

Sour grapes?

For the poster that knocked Voom channels, if they are so poor why are some cable companies starting to carry them? Because they have so mauch spare capacity? Not likely. Because they anticipate no demand for them?

This sort of thing reminds me of the messages that used to go back and forth on the BBS before the Internet killed them off.

Example: My Commodore 64 is better than your Trash80 and then the other way, My TRS80 is better than your commie64. and then the nit picking details like your C64 has a really slow drive, and My C64 has better graphics and so on.

Many of my users were surprised when they found out the BBS they were on was running on a Radio shack computer until the IBMPC clones started appearing and were cheaper to add hard drives to.

We are so happy for you too. Feeling a bit ummm, left out. I mean you have to be bothered by all this to post that ridiculous post, pathetic.
naahh E* subs generally dont like SD up converts With the picture being contourted to fill an HD screen

I'm *almost* tempted to call BS on this, at least that this will constitute the lineup we'll see even this year.

Why?

MSG and FSNY (both at least partly owned by Cablevision) have not been made available to ANY other national provider.

I'm thinking we may have a few cases of Yes on E* again popping up here.

I'd be VERY happy if proven wrong, though - the benefits to a NY subscriber would be massive here.

I also have serious doubts that MSG and FSNY will come online in HD anytime soon. Seeing all those commercials Cablevision has been flooding the NY stations with, about them being the only place you can get all the NY sport in HD, I'm VERY hardpressed to believe they have suddenly reached a deal with Directv on carriage for their HD.

For the poster that knocked Voom channels, if they are so poor why are some cable companies starting to carry them? Because they have so mauch spare capacity? Not likely. Because they anticipate no demand for them?

For the same reason that Dish added them, head count for advertising claims. I know several people that bought Voom on launch day and within 3 months were telling me that they are only watching content because it is there. These were for the most part movies that they had no interest in seeing and wouldn't have watched on a rainy Saturday, except that they were in HD and there was a dearth of HD programming available.

I would be extremely surprised if Voom was getting the same rate for HD as ESPN does. Maybe the complete Voom package is priced the same as D* pays for the ESPN(I and II) HD channels. This lets Dish (and cable) say that they have x channels available.

Some people are into quantity over quality, that's fine. I prefer having 6 or 7 channels that I watch a lot, than 30 channels that I don't enjoy.

I will grant that VOOM is stepping up and starting to deliver more original and interesting programming, but that is because of competition. The thing fanboys need to keep in mind is that having 2 satellite companies make things better for the consumer. Dish pushes D* and D* pushes back. It lets us get more for less and more quickly.

I also have serious doubts that MSG and FSNY will come online in HD anytime soon. Seeing all those commercials Cablevision has been flooding the NY stations with, about them being the only place you can get all the NY sport in HD, I'm VERY hardpressed to believe they have suddenly reached a deal with Directv on carriage for their HD.
D* very well may have..E* has had the schannels uplinked and ready to go for quite a while so some sort of negociations must be going on D* usually beats e* on sports channels

Well, I am glad that all you Direct TV fans finally may be getting some real HD, I have Dish and have been enjoying alot of HD well over a year. Actually, a couple of years. Nice of you all to be so patient and wait for them to fufill their promises. Well, actually, they still don't have them on yet, do they ?

That sure is a big list, gosh, how they going to turn all that on when a bunch of them don't even have HD broadcast or equpment yet. Oh, just a rebroadcast of an existing channel in a higher bitrate.

Well, Dish has done some of that too, turn on a channel and call it HD when it's not, or has so little content in HD, it's useless, they have 2 or 3 like that now. At least there is a little less pixelation and it's clearer on our big TV's.

When they do get it turned on, you will really like it, we sure have for a year or so !!

And I also have enjoyed my HD content on D* for the last year or so and will enjoy the new added HD in September I do not expect them to turn them all on at once and will be happy with what they add.;)

I figured there would be a large rollout of HD in an upconverted format for several reasons. One - many of the channels does not have an HD version of it. Two - it allows for the HD channels to come to market quicker. Three - A lot of content was not in HD when it came out so it have to be upconverted anyways. Also if it takes up less bandwidth and Dish/Direct dont have to pay for the HD version of the channel if they upconvert themselves then that is less of a cost for the companies to offer a better version of those channels.

...if it takes up less bandwidth and Dish/Direct dont have to pay for the HD version of the channel if they upconvert themselves then that is less of a cost for the companies to offer a better version of those channels.

I don't think this is going to be the case but if true, I will call it a scam.

Well can someone clarify...so what is DirecTv going to do? Upconvert until a HD version of the channel is available? Cause if this is so, how can they claim to have more HD than anyone else? Dish would still be the TRUE HD leader.

Err the only cable company to carry the VOOM channels is Cablevision, and their parent company OWNS VOOM.

SO they are being forced to contract with them? IMO Voomhas a lot of worthy programming. Its a loss not to have some of the Voom channels.

No they aren't being forced to contract with them. but why didn't they carry them for the past 2 years - and why add them NOW just when DISH has made some adds, and just as DirecTV is adding 70 HD channels? The OBVIOUSLY HAVE the needed bandwidth.

You going to tell me its just a coincidence? Duh.......

And yes maybe VOOM has some worthy programming - but NOT 15 F/T channels worth. Maybe 1 or 2 at best IMHO.

Does every thread have to be about my DBS is better than your DBS.. I happen to like both. I have both and I am going to be happy for both companies when they add more channels. Because I am going to see all channels that are offered by both.

I like some of the voom channels myself.With Directv not providing me any HD channels yet. Its hard to be on D* side with HD programming fight with E*. Because like it or not Voom IMO is better then what D* had or even HAS Right now. I'm waiting still for these HD launches from D*And when they do get here then it could be a fair contest.Don't knock the Voom channels.D* has a huge list of channels I could live without in SD.So IMO any HD channel is better the nothing.

Does every thread have to be about my DBS is better than your DBS.. I happen to like both. I have both and I am going to be happy for both companies when they add more channels. Because I am going to see all channels that are offered by both.

It only seems to happen because as it gets closer to D*s HD expansion, many of the E* fanboys are in here to start the arguments and stir the pot.

I think most of us agree that this expansion will ultimately be great for all of us customers of all the services.

IMO DISH has a bigger loss without being to offer NFL or MLB to its 13 million subs.
I don't think it has as much effect as you think on E* customers or cable providers. If they want NFL Sunday ticket that bad ,they would become a Directv customer.then D* would have 300 million customers not just 16 million.Every provider always has something that maybe another provider doesn't have . You have said this a million times yourself. Find what programming you like and a price you can live with and chose. Remember not everyone cares about these expensive sports packs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)