70+ HD Channels in Engineering Mode

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I was a member back before VOOM went belly up and all I can say is "seeing is believing"

I think MHD is a combination of MTV, VH1 an CMT...all videos in HD from the major music video channels.

Basically, except many of the videos are upconverted. They are shown in a block of six hours in the morning and between other programs like Storytellers, concerts, and award shows. Lots and lots of repeated programs. No non-music shows like The Real World.

I was a member back before VOOM went belly up and all I can say is "seeing is believing"
Me too. How long ago was it and D* is on the cusp of providing me the amount of HD channels that Voom did after how many years? I think Voom is responsible for many of us finding this site to begin with.

I think Voom is responsible for many of us finding this site to begin with.
At least the demise of Voom. :D

Some people will not be satisfied until they have 1000 pristine HD channels for $19 a month. :rolleyes:

If you look at what D*TV is now finalizing within a short timeframe....

100 HD channels
New HD Hardware
New HD Connectivity to Support Single Wire Connectivity to DVR tuners
Remote Booking (via Internet)
NFL Ticket via Internet
Direct on Demand (VOD)

This is more new stuff being added in a short time from D*TV than most other providers offer in 2 years of R&D.

Simplification of how the HD technology and market are evolving does not paint a clear picture. If you look at both the big picture as well as what D*TV is about to launch for new products and services....they're going to leapfrog everything else out there. :up

Further words from bSchneider at AVS...
Here is the message that has just been posted:
The following information is subject to change. But right now this is what I can tell you today.

The first wave of HD channels should be turned on Sept 14th with at least the following channels. Individual channnels may be turned on before the 14th. RSN's will be the turned on during the second wave. When we get closer to the dates I should be able to tell you more.

A&E
Big Ten Network
Cartoon Network
CNN
Disney
Food Network
Golf/Versus
History
NFL Network
National Geo
Simithsonian (channel 267)
TBS

Again...This thread is located at:
D* - Complete List of MPEG4 channels in Engineering Mode - Page 7 - AVS Forum

I find it hard to believe starz hd or cinemax hd will not be one of the first to go live, considering they have been available on other providers for so long.

I find it hard to believe starz hd or cinemax hd will not be one of the first to go live, considering they have been available on other providers for so long.
Those cost extra for customers. I can't see D* launching channels that cost more money for their first BIG HD channel launch.Got to ease people into HD ,Before you Hammer them.

Sorry if I missed this, but is D* planning to at least simulcast the current mpeg2 channels in mpeg4?

ESPN and 2 look like crappola, granted I think it may be ESPN's fault because HBOHD, UHD and DiscHD Theater look good.

Sorry if I missed this, but is D* planning to at least simulcast the current mpeg2 channels in mpeg4?

ESPN and 2 look like crappola, granted I think it may be ESPN's fault because HBOHD, UHD and DiscHD Theater look good.

My ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD are both great on my Samsung 40" LCD. No dropouts, pixellation, etc..

Last edited:
Those cost extra for customers. I can't see D* launching channels that cost more money for their first BIG HD channel launch.Got to ease people into HD ,Before you Hammer them.

Well they don't cost extra to those who already have the sd channels.

I would think they would pick a variety of premium, standard, and rsns to launch collectively first to showcase their futute hd offerings, but apparantly not.

Well they don't cost extra to those who already have the sd channels.

I would think they would pick a variety of premium, standard, and rsns to launch collectively first to showcase their futute hd offerings, but apparantly not.

Gee, D* isn't doing what you think is best. They must be doing something right then.

My ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD are both great on my Samsung 40" LCD. No dropouts, pixellation, etc..

No dropouts or pixelation yeah, but PQ from some camera shots are horrible. The baseball on tonight is not very good at all, at least not compared to Fox.

Some views are good on the Nascar race and some are not. Ive been told its just different types of cameras during football games, so if thats the case ESPN should really consider working on this.

Switching back and forth from the ESPN Auburn game and the Tenn game last night on ABC was very embarrassing for ESPN's PQ.

No dropouts or pixelation yeah, but PQ from some camera shots are horrible. The baseball on tonight is not very good at all, at least not compared to Fox.

Some views are good on the Nascar race and some are not. Ive been told its just different types of cameras during football games, so if thats the case ESPN should really consider working on this.

Switching back and forth from the ESPN Auburn game and the Tenn game last night on ABC was very embarrassing for ESPN's PQ.

As far as the Nascar .. it use to be worse, the in car cameras were SD while the race was in HD, so when they would change from normal to IN CAR camera it was rediculas, at least ESPN put HD in the cars !

Jimbo

As far as the Nascar .. it use to be worse, the in car cameras were SD while the race was in HD, so when they would change from normal to IN CAR camera it was rediculas, at least ESPN put HD in the cars !

Jimbo

The pre race was pretty rough in up close interviews, and now some of the far away pit shots are not so hot.

During football, some of the far away shots were bad but closer shots were better.

Last year on ESPN, Id notice one game was awesome, then the next game on ESPNHD would look horrible.

Someone from Comcast on AVS said they felt it was just the different type of cameras they were using.

Scott commented that ESPN new they had issues and were working on them.

Id really like to see all sports up to par with CBS and Fox.

Long story short I dont think this is a D* issue, BUT my original question stands. Will we see the mpeg2 channels shown as mpeg4? I hope so.

The pre race was pretty rough in up close interviews, and now some of the far away pit shots are not so hot.

During football, some of the far away shots were bad but closer shots were better.

Last year on ESPN, Id notice one game was awesome, then the next game on ESPNHD would look horrible.

Someone from Comcast on AVS said they felt it was just the different type of cameras they were using.

Scott commented that ESPN new they had issues and were working on them.

Id really like to see all sports up to par with CBS and Fox.

Long story short I dont think this is a D* issue, BUT my original question stands. Will we see the mpeg2 channels shown as mpeg4? I hope so.

Can't answer you original question at least yet.
Another thing to consider with the cameras being used, it could be as simple as having the aperture oopen to far, thus letting too much light into the lens. If you do any work with camera's you'll understand what I'm getting at. The more light let in the less the depth of field, so you normally like to let in just enough light to look right and this will add to the crispness of the picture.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)