722-working well?

gary s

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 9, 2003
Southern Cal
Anybody currently have a 722 in use?

I am thinking about getting one. Can you tell me how it is working for you? Any bugs or problems to speak of? Do you have any 622s? The reason I ask is because I'm wondering if the 722 works the same as a 622. Same software possibly? We have two 622s and we are very happy with them. They have been working flawlessly so I am hoping the 722 would be the same.

I have had the 722 (4.42) since 8/23 and it is getting full.

Copied most of my 622 programs over in 2 sessions via a 200GB hard drive with no problems and only the first reformat.

Compared to the 622 (4.41), the closed captions (CC) work much better. I can use the small font and have not seen skipping when scrolling the 722. Had to use a large font on 622 to avoid breakup. (I use yellow trimmed black on transparent background.)

I have a little more problem with a weak second PBS OTA transmitter (KNMD ch 9.1 vs KNME ch 5.1=35.1/8816, both from Albuquerque) making it lose signal for the Business Report. (NBR is now back on 5 at the old time slot, so I now use it.) The 622 had only occasional dropouts, the 722 is not trying. They may have different cables but go through the same amp from the same antenna, not shared with the satellite signal.

The new indicated signal levels on both were frighteningly low but seem to work.

-Ken

I 've had mine for close to a week now and I notice really no differences between my older 622 and the 722 except the pq is slightly better in comparision . THey are using a newer chip for that in the 722. MY external hard drive has about 20 movies on it and my internal drive has series tv and news etc. I keep all movies on the external drive now.

My wife and I really enjoy the increased storage and are glad we upgraded. We've had the 722 for over a week and we've detetected no bugs at all (and we've tried several of the features). So far it looks like the 722 is a winner.

I upgraded a week ago from an 811 to the 722 and so far I'm very happy. The 811 would frequently have problems switching back to satellite from OTA and then required a reboot.

I'm currently using component cables and the HD picture quality is noticeably better than the 811, and I've not noticed any bugs so far with the 722. Recording with the 722 is much easier and quicker than with my DVD recorder and its much more responsive during skips and fast forwards too.

I've had mine since the 18th, and so far I hate it. Not getting all of my HD channels due to some software bug. They told me today they are going to probably RMA my receiver. Getting's random reboots too. Figures! :p

I've had mine since the 18th, and so far I hate it. Not getting all of my HD channels due to some software bug. They told me today they are going to probably RMA my receiver. Getting's random reboots too. Figures! :p

Did you have a 622 before the 722 or was this a new HD install? It could be your dish needs to be tweaked for a better signal reception.

We used to have a lot of random reboots on one of our 622s until our dish was tweaked for a better signal and then they pretty much stopped.

I am hoping more for a signal problem than the problem you posted.

But it could be the receiver/software I guess.

How do most of you get your 722, through DishItUP or buy from reseller?

I am getting mine through special circumstances through ceo@echostar.com but I'm paying the $199 upfront lease fee. If you are eligible for a DishItUp upgrade, that would probably be a good way to go unless you want to buy and own the receiver.

I think the CEO got tired of all the requests, I got mine for $149 over the phone after talking to 3 different people, this to replace an 811, I keep my 622.

Did you have a 622 before the 722 or was this a new HD install? It could be your dish needs to be tweaked for a better signal reception.

We used to have a lot of random reboots on one of our 622s until our dish was tweaked for a better signal and then they pretty much stopped.

I am hoping more for a signal problem than the problem you posted.

But it could be the receiver/software I guess.

Nope, I had a 522 before, so yes, it was a new HD install. I'm thinking about trying to tweak the signal myself before RMA'ing anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)