722k vs 922

ronfelder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
south jersey
would like to know which way is better for an upgrade. to get a 922 or keep my 722k and add the new sling adapter to it? whic way is better technically, functionality wise and cost to lease and/or purchase?

I currently have a 722k. As of now i'm finishing up my first year of my two year agreement I made to get the unit for free. Does this mean if I want the 922 for it being better would I have to put out money? Would i get the unit for free once my commitment is up?

Ron

It really depends on what you want to use it for. The 922 has really been improved and is much better now. The new update (coming any day) is reported to support dual mode which was really the last thing that the 722k had that the 922 was missing. There are some other things that the 922 does that the 722k can't. The interface is much better. It does DNLA so if you can share music, pictures, videos and things like PlayOn with with 922 from your computer so you can watch things like ESPN3 via PlayOn. Pretty darn cool if you ask me.

It's going to cost you $200 to upgrade to a 922 and $4 a month more to use it. You are not going to get an upgrade to a 922 for free no matter how long you've been a customer or if you have no commitment. If whatever small add-ons (that are not there today) make it worth $200 up front and $48 a year are worth it to you, go for it....

It's going to cost you $200 to upgrade to a 922 and $4 a month more to use it. You are not going to get an upgrade to a 922 for free no matter how long you've been a customer or if you have no commitment. If whatever small add-ons (that are not there today) make it worth $200 up front and $48 a year are worth it to you, go for it....

I believe the $200 upgrade to the 922 is for the customers with higher bills. For others, it is a $400 upgrade. I believe this has not changed.

so the only advantage to the 9222 over the 722k beyond built in sling is better graphics with the ui and a laarger hd? allof this comes with a premium price.

is there an android app for this yet?

Yes, the Android version of Dish Remote Access is on the Android Marketplace, works well, and costs nothing.

You forget you get the awesome privlige of being able to pay another $4.00 monthly to maybe be able to Sling something. With the 722k and a sling adapter , you can do it with no monthly fee. I have had the 922 for over 6 months and I can tell you that I do NOT recommend this p.o.s. receiver. Until last month before the latest update , I couldn't be sure that it would even record everything I wanted it to. It STILL DOESN't do this reliably . There is the "tv 2 user stopped/deleted" bug on certain shows if I try to record 4 shows at a time. The sling feature this week crapped out and I could't even use remote access online. It was grayed out and I called the DISH tech about it. They are sending me a replacement 922 that I don't even need now because the feature now works again. IF you want channel logos, a larger hard drive and newer menus with pictures , then the 922 is for you. Otherwise I recommend staying away from this box. You can do just about everything the 922 can do ,including the manual timers and dish pass that the 922 can't do through the receiver itself, with a 722k and a dish adapter with NO monthly fee. Save yourself some heartache and avoid this 922 receiver.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the "tv 2 user stopped/deleted" bug shows up on rare occasions on the 722k too. :(

I've thought about the 922 many times, but reading here and other places leads me to believe it isn't ready for prime time and certainly not at a fairly hefty premium.

I too have been tossing the idea around. I'm with the general census here. Build your 722 up. Add the sling adapter and larger HD (if the HD in the 922 is appealing to you).

Also, if google TV is something you might be interested in, to my understanding...the 922 isn't supported with google TV. Personally, the more I think about the 922 the more I get turned off by it.

follow up

Thaks. Now for my follow up question. would it be better to get this sling adapter for my 722k roto get a stand alone sling box for hd? afterall if i ever left Dish my sling adapter would be useless while the regular sling box works with any service or stb.

as it stands now i'm planning on getting the adapter. think they'll ever put it on sale below the $100 price?

Ron

ronfelder said:
Thaks. Now for my follow up question. would it be better to get this sling adapter for my 722k roto get a stand alone sling box for hd? afterall if i ever left Dish my sling adapter would be useless while the regular sling box works with any service or stb.
That thought came to mind when I read your first post.

I think that DISH after their polls about the google box, have rethought some of their fees by allowing the sling extender to be added for NO monthly fee. The google box can be added with the 722k without the google integration fee if you buy it outright from Best Buy. You only lose the ability to search with pay per views added , which I never care about anyway since DISH has the HIGHEST VOD price in the industry. You can still use your built in search features with the receiver itself. I think the 922 was designed at a time when the web browser was supposed to be built in, along with the sling adapter built in. So the $10.00 dvr fee was supposed to cover all those features built in to the box itself. Now since then they dropped the built in web browser and you can add the google box instead to get these features. Notice if you integrate the google box with your 722 or 722k you get the $4.00 monthly fee back. IF you want sling ability with a 722 or 722k add the sling adapter for $99.00 and NO monthly fee. I think the best route for most of us is to add the features we want by buying them outright and skip the monthly fees.

The 722 at the current time does more than the 922 (TV2 and google TV). They will probably eventually get both working on the 922 (TV2 is supposed to be really soon). I still maintain the 922 is a dead end in the long run. Dish will probably eventually get it working nicely, but by the time they do they will have the next big receiver out and the 922 will remain the odd step child.

The 722 at the current time does more than the 922 (TV2 and google TV). They will probably eventually get both working on the 922 (TV2 is supposed to be really soon). I still maintain the 922 is a dead end in the long run. Dish will probably eventually get it working nicely, but by the time they do they will have the next big receiver out and the 922 will remain the odd step child.

I agree . If DISH history is any indication ,the 922 will be the left out red headed step child.

Last edited:
The only external Sling that can do HD is the Sling HD Pro. And it hangs off your analog ports, so even that top-of-the-line model isn't really doing the same thing as the Sling Adapter.

I still maintain the 922 is a dead end in the long run. Dish will probably eventually get it working nicely, but by the time they do they will have the next big receiver out and the 922 will remain the odd step child.
Note to self: Never get a Dish receiver that starts with a "9". :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)