722k W/OTA module recording conflicts

sg010

Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
I have a 722K with an OTA module in single mode shared view.

I have read that people are able to record up to 4 progs at once. 2 OTA and 2 Sat. I am not, if I set more than 2 I get recording conflicts, also if I have 2 recording going and try to watch a program on sat I get a message that the recording will be canceled. one other thing, I can't get PIP to function don't know if that's related or not...

do I need to configure something differently or was I misinformed

TIA

2 ota and 2 sat is correct.

my 722K drops into dual mode occasionally for no apparent reason......

which screws up recoding so many.

theres also a preference is single mode to always first record to tuner 2 so tuner one is free to watch live and other stuff.

Dual Mode

Are you in dual mode (or in this case maybe should be called duel mode)? PIP won't work in dual. All the conflicts sound like this is your setting.

Sg,

One possible reason for conflicts is if you have not changed the default settings for your timers. By Default Dish starts a timer event BEFORE its scheduled start and ENDS it after the scheduled ending of event. This will cause multiple conflicts if you have back to back recording events, causing many timers to NOT fire.

I changed the default settings to NOT start early and NOT end Late. I decided to live with missing 30 seconds or so from a Show once in a while so I don't have lots and lots of Timer Conflicts.

John

shouldn't be a timer conflict, I get a conflicts if I try to record any combination of more than 2 programs on any of the tuners.

the other night I had 2 shows set to record off OTA and tried to set a program to record off sat and got a conflict??? both the sat tuners should have been free to watch or record.

shouldn't be a timer conflict, I get a conflicts if I try to record any combination of more than 2 programs on any of the tuners.

the other night I had 2 shows set to record off OTA and tried to set a program to record off sat and got a conflict??? both the sat tuners should have been free to watch or record.

SG,

Did you read my post? Have you looked at the default Settings for your timers?

If you have NOT changed your receivers default settings for all Timer events you will have multiple timer conflicts, as the Default settings to start early and end late will cause back to back timers to conflict resulting in the timer conflict screen and or a second event in a back to back recording event to fail to record, or no tuners free to record events.

Example You are recording an event on one of your Local OTA channels from 7pm to 8pm and wish to record two events at 8pm on two local OTA channels. One event at 8pm will not record as the Timer from from 7pm to 8pm will run past its 8pm schedule end due to the default setting to end 2 minutes late, and remember the default setting tries to start your 8pm timers early so the Higher priority timer at 8pm will fire at 7:58 or so effectively tying up both OTA Tuners so your second 8pm timer will not be able to fire at 7:58, boom no recording for your second timer event.

This will also happen on your satellite delivered channels, especially if you record sporting events, the default setting is for a sport timer to end 60 minutes late.

When ever you have back to back timers DISH's default settings will tie up 2 Tuners, so will NOT be able to record more than one event back to back without changing Dish's default settings.

I'm assuming you purchased the additional OTA tuner Module, do you have an OTA Antenna connected to your 722k's OTA Tuner Module. Be sure to record your local OTA sources from the guide using the "YELLOW" banded EPG listings not OTA channels delivered via satellite in your EPG. Let's say your local channels are 8,10,13,21,and 31. To change to a true local OTA sourced channel you would have to input 008-01 for channel 8, 010-01 for Channel 10, 013-01 for Channel 13, ...etc. If you are only keying in 8 then you will selecting a local OTA channel delivered via satellite effectively tying up one satellite tuner.

John

JohnL,
If left at the factory default of 1 min early and 3 min late the timers will automatically drop the pad when necessary. Mine have never failed to do so and I have several back to back timers.

JohnL,
If left at the factory default of 1 min early and 3 min late the timers will automatically drop the pad when necessary. Mine have never failed to do so and I have several back to back timers.

I believe they drop the "pad" only if the back-to-backs are on the same channel. I've had some issue with Thursdays and Sundays where most of my recordings occur. I utilize OTA whenever possible but have 4 timers set for the same time at a couple of different intervals both of those days. If a show on another channel is scheduled to start while another channel is recording then the default padding will prohibit that next show from recording if there is another program scheduled to record (ota / satellite). Hope that makes sense as it can be a little confusing.

JohnL,

I was about to say the same thing. I love the padding and the way the receiver cuts the padding if it needs to.

My understanding is that it will not cut the padding if the pad is more than 2 min. As the default is 3 min, this would be a problem. Perhaps, it will cut longer ones on the same channel. Also some live sports programs are suppose to have implicit pads that are much longer. If you change the default padding to 0 or 1 before and 1 or 2 after you only need to remember to go the timers table and change all the previously set ones, too.
-Ken

My understanding is that it will not cut the padding if the pad is more than 2 min. As the default is 3 min, this would be a problem. Perhaps, it will cut longer ones on the same channel. Also some live sports programs are suppose to have implicit pads that are much longer. If you change the default padding to 0 or 1 before and 1 or 2 after you only need to remember to go the timers table and change all the previously set ones, too.
-Ken

I never changed my default settings. I know the receiver will pad the shows when it can, but if it can't due to back to back recordings it doesn't pad. Never had a problem with this even with recordings scattered all over the spectrum.

Let me add that those who are saying that the 3 minute late end pad causing timer conflicts and will not drop the pad are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! I know because I set my MTV timers at 3 min late specifically to get all the program as MTV is horrendous with early and late starts and finish. If a recording is in progress with a 3 min late pad with an ending of, say, 3:03, and another timer is set to fire at 3:00 on another channel, the end late pad will NOT be dropped and the MTV recording continues, but the 2nd tuner now fires and tunes to the other channel. Now, I have 2 tuners recording 2 channels and can't watch any other live programming until the recording ends at 3 min late or manually stop recording. However, if this same situation occurs with programs back to back on the same channel, then the pad may be dropped IF the start early pad is no greater than 1 minute. At 2 minutes or more start early pad, the 2nd tuner will also tune to the same channel (MTV, for example) and no pads will be dropped. In fact a pad of 2 minutes early and 3 minutes late is the ONLY way to ensure that back to back programs on MTV are recorded in their entirety. Of course, the only problem with such timers is that you will get timer conflicts warnings--I get them all the time because of my pad timers for MTV--because both tuners will be in use for those padded 5 minutes (2 early + 3 late). It has caused some heartache for me as I have either had to not record my additional show or risk not recording the MTV show in its entirety. I either have to change my pads or live with not recording my other show not on MTV.

In other words the 3 min late pad is ABSOLUTE. and will not be dropped. 1 or 2 min end pads are soft. 2 Min early + 3 Min late pads for one timer are ABSOLUTE, hard pads and will never be dropped and may cause timer conflict warnings.

My aunt was having the same problem as the OP, and I had her change the late pad time, and now she doesn't get the timer conflicts--or really the fact that 2 tuners are in use for a few minutes meaning she can't set a timer for the other program that is scheduled to begin during that 5 minute twilight zone pad time when both tuners are in use and one won't be free until 3:03, say.

KKlare is correct about the exception being if the 2 shows are back to back on the same channel. One will be cut short of the pad to record the following show using the same tuner, UNLESS the start early pad for that next show is at least 2 minutes. Then both tuners will be tuned to the same channel at the same time for those 5 minutes.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)