8.5ft cband dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

joshrr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Made a score today and picked up an 8.5ft solid dish. Anyone know what brand it is? These were made well right? And able to pick up good signal for digital dvb/dvbs2? Should go well with my 6ft dish.

Attachments

• image-2118500394.jpg
    image-2118500394.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 216
More pics of the polar mount. Looks like the declination adjustment is on the top.

Attachments

• image-3059762754.jpg
    image-3059762754.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 199
  • image-2576652771.jpg
    image-2576652771.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 231
Cool! I get a lot of S2 with my 8 1/2 foot Birdview. I don't know that brand but it looks good, Just do the string test to see if it's kept its shape. Maybe sand it lightly and repaint it with flat (not gloss) white.

On my first big dish, I had to run a wire edge to edge and pulled in order to bring it back into shape. Worked well after that.

Huzzah!

Always cool to find a nice dish. Yeah check it doing a string test, so no headaches in the future, and fire it up.

Ok ill make sure. Is a aolid steel or aliminum dish. Wow didnt think those would deform but ill check for sure. Seems like it would be rust by now if it were steel right? Cant wait to get it going.

Yeah probably Aluminum. I have seen metal and fiberglass out of round for various reasons. Just never hurts to check, before you start pulling out your hair.;)

Anyone know if the scalar ring that comes with a dmx741 will fit on this thing? It has a standard C lnb polorotor and the support arms are screwed onto the feedhorn. I wont be able to pick the dish up till next week and want to be prepared. I know you can buy adapters but am thinking they were only required to put a ku only lnbf on your big dish?? Thanks

Good question. I think that 741 scalar has the mounting holes for both a four strut and a three strut dish. It's just a matter of holding it up there and comparing the mounting holes.

Bolts right on I'll bet

If that thing has a Chaparral feed horn on it now, then a DMX741S will fit that scaler ring opening if you file the numbers flat on ONE side (preferably the side opposite of the set screw) of the LNBF. I've done two like that and they work fine.

Here is the dish at my place. Painted it gray. Came out pretty well compared to my original pics. Notice my 6ft dish and hughsnet converted fta dish with a qph-031 in the back. Have the hole for the new dish right in front of it since thats the only place to see the full arc to 139w from 60w

Attachments

• image-3944513673.jpg
    image-3944513673.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 200
Also look at the co-ax that was from the chaparell feedhorn to the service box. Its super thick 6core coax or somehin. Never seen it before. Regular rg6 from the service box to the house.

Attachments

• image-1010345621.jpg
    image-1010345621.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 198
Well Here is the dish folks. Finally got it installed and tweaked. Its 8' 8" so almost 9ft solid aluminum. Pulling in everything strong. NBC's on AMC18, ABCs on 99w etc.. 84qual there. Works great. WAAY better than the 6ft it replaced. Definitely worth the work. Hooked to my openbox->gbox mover with dsr-4200 and a toshiba DCII box slaved off it. QARL PowerTech 24" actuator.

IMG_1383.JPG

It looks like a DH to me....
That is one nice dish!
I didn't see it before but the signature 6 point ring mount, 3 legs & rolled lip sure say DH to me too.
Congrats!

Attachments

• DH Spun Alum sat dish instl.pdf
    767.6 KB · Views: 191
Status
Please reply by conversation.