811 Lost Wing Satellite

Bobby said:
If you have line of sight to 61.5, it will work just fine, Grandude. My Dish installer was going to aim my 300 at 61.5 but I asked him not to because of redwood trees that stand in a park in that direction. He told me it would work for a few years and then the trees would get in the way. Just keep in mind that you will receive WCBS New York instead of KCBS Los Angeles. You will also have to contact Dish to turn it on.
Sheesh, I forgot about that. Not sure I want CBS on three hours early here. In fact, I am sure that I wouldn't want it three hours early. I wonder how my wife would feel about it. Her fav program is NYPDBlue which would then be on at 7 instead of 10PM.
I would expect that the weather here would cause a little more dropout from 61.5 than from 148.

Update:

Tech came out on Sunday and he tried to use a legacy adapter with the 811; that didn't work. He called HQ and they told him the fix was to replace DishPro switches and LNBs to Legacy; and they also told him that a software update is coming out to fix this issue. They would have to run more wires to accommodate legacy equipment, so I told the tech that I'll wait for the software update.

811 lost 148 Dish Fix

Same problem just started (hmmm). Called Dish they acknowledged known problem. Fix in software, when???. I told them unacceptable. They said a hardware fix is to replace my LNBs annd Switch with Legacy equipment (really????). This is scheduled for tomorrow. Anyone hear of this "fix". Does anyone know if this also happens with 61.5?

Legacy: SW-64 can support up to 4 tuners. A second SW64 can be added with a number of additional parts and is a little more complex. Each LNB will have to provide two wires to a SW64 (for a total of 6 wires for three satellites). Legacy LNBs use two polorizations, right hand and left hand. This is why two wire from each lnb are needed as one stays right hand and the other stays left hand so that all connected receivers can tune all frequencies.

DishPro: DP34 switches can cascade up to three switches with mere patch cables. This would feed up to 12 tuners. DishPro LNB's are bandstacked. What this essentionaly does is put all of the frequencies (both right hand and left hand polorizations) on a single wire all at the same time. I don't remember off the top of my head which but essentially one polarization has its' frequencies shifted up.

The big differences come in to play when you are feeding more than 4 tuners. Also the number of wires going to the dish(es) is half/twice as many.

I don't like the sounds of their fix. Replace DP with legacy? What does this say? They can't figure out how to fix it in software? They have been doing this DP stuff for awhile now so not having a fix sounds bad. I would agree to the assumption that they have been doing silent updates to the firmware. If this 811 was a car it would have been recalled by now.

Just got off the phone with advanced tech support, should have the software fix spooling tomorrow. (supposed to fix a few other things also)

Lost 148 fix

Dish tech was just here to fix 811 lost 148 problem. He was prepared to change LNB and Switch to Legacy. Instead we tried aiming to 61.5. Seems to work fine. The only station (of importance to me) I got from 148 was KCBS LA HD. We called dish and switched to WCBS NY HD. I hope this holds.

BTW, Dish is supposed to start sending SW 264 today. Not to me yet.

bobiii said:
I just downloded software version 264 and my 148 satellite is still not there!!!!!!@#!@$

Will call support and get back.

Mine is missing also. Darn it. May try switching to the other wing.

bobiii said:
I just downloded software version 264 and my 148 satellite is still not there!!!!!!@#!@$

Will call support and get back.
There's are some people saying that only systems with DishPro LNBF's and switches are being affected by this problem, what kind of system you have?
I have an 811 on it's way and will also use 148 slot for locals, my system is legacy based but I'm thinking of eventually going with DishPro.

Soccernut said:
There's are some people saying that only systems with DishPro LNBF's and switches are being affected by this problem, what kind of system you have?
I have an 811 on it's way and will also use 148 slot for locals, my system is legacy based but I'm thinking of eventually going with DishPro.
Stick with your Legacy for now as that does work for 148. Hopefully they will fix the problem with 148 on Pro switches. This download didn't fix it. Dangit!
It would appear that the bulk of my locals are not on 148 as I am still getting them on my Pro system.

Here's an interesting twist.

I bypassed the switch altogether, and connected the DP 148 dish directly to the 811. It recognizes and receives the 148 channels OK that way. But, unfortunately, it's still NFG when connected through the DP21.

Grandude said:
Stick with your Legacy for now as that does work for 148. Hopefully they will fix the problem with 148 on Pro switches. This download didn't fix it. Dangit!
It would appear that the bulk of my locals are not on 148 as I am still getting them on my Pro system.
My CBS HD is on the 148 so I'm missing all my favorite programs that are transmitted in HD. I don't want legacy switches. I like not having so many wires hanging from the side of my house. :no

I was thinking about some of the suggestions to point the 148 dish at 61. And it made me wonder if I point my 148 at 61, can I then turn around and request another 148 sat for the "must carrys"?

Also isn't the fact that dish has a reciver that keeps me from getting the must carries a big issue with the FCC? I mean they are already in trouble with the fact some of the locals are on a 2nd dish. But now we have a reciver that doesn't work with the 2nd dish and keeps me from getting my must carries.

Just thought it might be a way to get DISH to work a bit faster on this fix.

MacKenzieIII said:
I was thinking about some of the suggestions to point the 148 dish at 61. And it made me wonder if I point my 148 at 61, can I then turn around and request another 148 sat for the "must carrys"?

Just thought it might be a way to get DISH to work a bit faster on this fix.
Not sure that they would be TOO happy about that.
I've been thinking of moving my 148 dish to 61.5 too but I have two problems with that.
1. The dish is a 500 series and I'm not sure how to set azimuth and skew with it. There doesn't appear to be a zero setting for skew.
2. I climbed up to the roof to check it out and found that the installer didn't install the pole in a very accurate vertical position. Actually is slanting quite a bit. I don't have any idea how he was able to find the satellite.

I would like to try it anyway but worry that I wouldn't be able to find 148 again if I fail to get 61.5 lined up.

Does anybody have any theories on why this happened? There are so many people that seem to know every minute detail of what Dish is doing with their birds at all times. I'm surprised nobody has posted anything. It's obvious they did something to 148 last week that is incompatible with the 811 using DishPro gear, since everyobody with that setup was fine until then.

It seems to me that a quicker and cheaper band aid than replacing the DishPro stuff with legacy, as they are doing, would be for them to simply revert 148 back to the way it was before the 22nd or 23rd or whatever the exact date was.

OTOH, I suppose it's possible that the change may have been to correct some other 148 issue that affected even more customers than those with 811/DishPro systems. Does anybody know if other models were having difficulty with 148 before last week?

babakanoosh said:
Dish tech was just here to fix 811 lost 148 problem. He was prepared to change LNB and Switch to Legacy. Instead we tried aiming to 61.5. Seems to work fine. The only station (of importance to me) I got from 148 was KCBS LA HD. We called dish and switched to WCBS NY HD. I hope this holds.

BTW, Dish is supposed to start sending SW 264 today. Not to me yet.

I'm a technician from the DNS LLC and I came across a similar trouble call on Tuesday.
Are you the same person who has the 322 hooked up to your computer and the high speed interent cables run separatly from the dish cables?

How is everything working now at 61.5?

wickedtao said:
I'm a technician from the DNS LLC and I came across a similar trouble call on Tuesday.
I've been thinking of pointing my 148 dish to 61.5 too but have two problems.
1. The pole isn't plumb.
2. The dish is a 500 so I don't really know how to set the adjustments on it.

Would you have any suggestions on how to do it?

I hate calling a technician if it is something I can do. I installed my original
500 dish for 110 and 119 with no trouble.

Grandude said:
I've been thinking of pointing my 148 dish to 61.5 too but have two problems.
1. The pole isn't plumb.
2. The dish is a 500 so I don't really know how to set the adjustments on it.

Would you have any suggestions on how to do it?

I hate calling a technician if it is something I can do. I installed my original
500 dish for 110 and 119 with no trouble.

It's always good to plumb/level the pole before a dish is put on it but in the case of using the 148/61.5 satellite locations it is NOT necessary . Leveling the dish is necessary on the 119/110 slots becasue it is receiveing a signal from two different satellites thus the angles are more precise.

Using a dish 500 pointed to 61.5 shouldn't be a problem; i believe you could go to your menu screen select 6-1-1 then input a zip code or go to the peak angles button and then enter a zip code, select which satellite you are interested in and it will tell you the azmuith and elevation you are supposed to point it at. After you point it, lock it down, run a check switch and then call the customer service people to change your CBS from LA to NY.

If you do not have a meter to point your dish you could leave your tv on and with the point dish screen up. Set it to 61.5 and then select transponder 12. signal should get above 70.

If your pole is not plumb it is ok just that the elevation and or azmuith it gives you might be off (the numbers they give you are relative to a level pole); adjust accordingly.

wickedtao said:
It's always good to plumb/level the pole before a dish is put on it but in the case of using the 148/61.5 satellite locations it is NOT necessary . Leveling the dish is necessary on the 119/110 slots becasue it is receiveing a signal from two different satellites thus the angles are more precise.

Using a dish 500 pointed to 61.5 shouldn't be a problem; i believe you could go to your menu screen select 6-1-1 then input a zip code or go to the peak angles button and then enter a zip code, select which satellite you are interested in and it will tell you the azmuith and elevation you are supposed to point it at. After you point it, lock it down, run a check switch and then call the customer service people to change your CBS from LA to NY.

If you do not have a meter to point your dish you could leave your tv on and with the point dish screen up. Set it to 61.5 and then select transponder 12. signal should get above 70.

If your pole is not plumb it is ok just that the elevation and or azmuith it gives you might be off (the numbers they give you are relative to a level pole); adjust accordingly.
One of the problems is that elevation and azimuth isn't given for a dish 500,
only for a 300. If I select 300 to get the specs, I would think it assumes that the LNB is in the middle where the 500 has a Y shaped arm which would put the azimuth off.
If I do get around to doing it, I will try to get the support more plumb. ( or is it more correct to say plumber)
:D

Grandude said:
One of the problems is that elevation and azimuth isn't given for a dish 500,
only for a 300. If I select 300 to get the specs, I would think it assumes that the LNB is in the middle where the 500 has a Y shaped arm which would put the azimuth off.
If I do get around to doing it, I will try to get the support more plumb. ( or is it more correct to say plumber)
:D

Elevation and Azmuith are the same for the 300 and 500;but as I said it is dependent on the pole being level