88 SD Channels By Feb 2004 ?

Trindle

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Taken from ucentric's web site from the Las Vegas CES show

Quote:
VOOM Delivers A Compelling Value Proposition -- Nationwide
In addition to the very latest in HD content and technology, VOOM customers will also receive several cable favorites such as the Disney Channel, A&E, FX, AMC and more, as well as over-the-air digital local broadcast channels delivered in standard definition (SD) and in HD where available. By February 2004, with the addition of new channels, customers will receive 39 HD channels and 88 standard-definition channels, including more than 40 cable favorites.

Will there be over 88 sd channels by February 2004.
Is this the count between the HD & SD channels or is this the count for SD channels ?

If 88 is the correct number what will be the other channels ? more cable favorites ?

What is going to be the other 44 channels ?
(I thought the other channels wouldn't be ready until mpeg4 was done. Is something really buzzing here.

I forgot there are 18 music channels that are in the mix , so where are the rest?

I'm ready to VOOM if this is true!

Trindle said:
Will there be over 88 sd channels by February 2004.

That's possible but no one knows. We'll have to wait until 2/1/04.

Trindle said:
Is this the count between the HD & SD channels or is this the count for SD channels ?

No it is not the count between HD & SD. It will only be for SD.

Trindle said:
If 88 is the correct number what will be the other channels ? more cable favorites ? What is going to be the other 44 channels ?

Here's a possible list:
203 HBO
204 HBO2
205 HBO SIGNATURE
206 HBO SIGNATURE WEST
207 HBO FAMILY
208 HBO COMEDY
209 HBO ZONE
223 CINEMAX
224 MORE MAX
225 ACTION MAX
226 THRILLER MAX
227 OUTER MAX
228 5 STAR MAX
229 W MAX
247 Showtime Beyond
268 Encore True Stories
287 TCM
302 ESPN
303 ESPN 2
304 ESPNEWS
305 ESPN CLASSIC
322 NBA TV
325 GOLF ------> ???????
326 CSTV
402 CNN
403 HEAdLINE NEWS
404 CNNFN
502 TWC
505 TBS
506 TNT
606 CARTOON
607 BOOMERANG

Note: no FoxNews, MSNBC, BBC, Sci-Fi, USA, WGN, CNBC, TechTV, Noggin, DIY, History, Food Net, etc.

This list might change and VOOM might add the ones not in the list or other.

I think I read that with the MPEG4 upgrade over 200 SD channels and 80 HD channels were possible.

Oh by the way Sean, we already have the History Channel in SD.

Even 88 SD channels sound good if they are the main ones, not the junk ones. To have 200 SD and 80 HD will definitely win over a lot of new customers along with DirecTv and Dish customers, especially if they drop the price of the hardware. What ever happened to their lease option I thought they were going to come out with?

I strongly believe that the initiation fee for the equipment will drop once the system goes in full capacity. The other day I was reading the contract agreement and the lease option was mentioned so there will be a lease option and I am sure it will come with promotions attached to it. I think VOOM needs to do this to entice and compete against E* and D*.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)