9 FT Steel Dish Project

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pixl

Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Traverse City, Michigan
RT-Cat generously asked if I wanted a Wilson 9Ft steel dish for free. Perfect for my Father-in -law and his son who wanted to watch the stuff I see. So I traveled to Ludington Michigan to look this over. Here are a few pictures of the dish at his home, and our progress of the installation. I regret I didn't take any photos of my meeting RT during my visit. I encourage everybody to visit in person a nearby FTAer. Great way to exchange ideas and equipment. I will add to this post as progress is made. Today we put up the 3 1/2" post. More to come. Thank you RT.

Picture2.jpg

Picture4.jpg

Picture1.jpg

04-08-12_1414.jpg

04-08-12_1415.jpg

Is it going to get a paint job before you stick it on the pole? Nice pics, I hate mixing concrete ,lol.

Yes, we have to do some welding on the frame to fix freeze damage. Then a paint job. I bought the post from a salvage yard, it needs paint as well.

Looks like you guys are off to a great start. Good to read of the paint job. Don't forget to come up with some way to re-number the panels. The paint job will cover up the ones I put on them.
RT is purrrring to read more......

T.

I wouldn't worry about trying to put the panels back the way they came apart unless their is some mechanical reason for doing so.

Of course (in theory) they should be identical but I have heard that it is actually better to change positions of the panels, and if the shape has changed slightly due to the gravity/mounting position the new petal arrangement will tend to pull it back to the original parabola.

Believe they specifically mentioned that as being a good option for multipiece fiberglass dishes so it may not apply to metal, YMMV. :)

Nice dish!

I wouldn't worry about trying to put the panels back the way they came apart unless their is some mechanical reason for doing so......

Of course (in theory) they should be identical.......
Correct, except the three holes in three panels that the LNB support arms bolt to. Might just as well line them up.

RT.

Got some progress on the dish this week. Tim painted all the panels both sides light blue, I think to match the lake. LNB support arms got a coat of beige.

04-15-12_1402.jpg

He welded the freeze damage to the frame. Got it up on the post looking across the lake to the South.

04-15-12_1403.jpg

He also painted the nose cone and center hub.

04-15-12_1415.jpg

RT-Cat,

We forgot where the thick aluminum spacers go (pictured on the table to the right of the nose cone).

Also not sure about the lnb mount. It looks like a muffler clamp. Is there supposed to be more to it than that?

Wow! Looking great. Interesting color next to the lake. Does not look like he is going to have any tree problem. Going to have to see this, some day, after completed. I hope he drilled those drain holes we talked about or freeze problem may show up again.
The clamp was what came with that dish. It held a C-Band LNB and polarotor. Too old for Ku back then or no one was using it yet. Come to think of it, I just may have an old Chaparral C & Ku that may/could/should fit that(WARNING, WARNING- your dish network TV just went out due to rain!!!) Nuts! Oh, should fit that clamp. I will see if I can find that old bugger. May have to put newer LNB's on it but it is a start. Would also need something to set polarity.
ADD: The aluminum spacers(I think)were at the actuator where it connected on the frame close to the dish.

T & RT

Last edited:
T & RT,

We found the blue plastic Chaparral cover with the bolts. Looks to be about the same diameter as my C/Ku LNBF I have. I think I will try that first.
I will remind Tim about the drain holes.

Last edited:
Looking good so far. Yeah drill drain holes for sure.

Sent from my Rooted Kindle Fire using SatelliteGuys

not sure about the lnb mount. It looks like a muffler clamp.
I've seen a few that were similar, BITD. One, just a button hook with a muffler clamp on the end. Have to calculate the focal length and F/D, but couldn't you remove the triangle plate/clamp assembly, and bolt the scalar directly to the legs? Yes, it's looking very good, I like the colors.

We seem to be doing this in slow motion, I may exceed Dee Ann's record for the longest time spent putting up a C-band dish. Today we put up all 12 panels and loosely bolted them in place. It was quite a challenge getting the holes to line up. It is still missing a few washers and bolts, then we will tighten them in a sequence used on a Scientific Atlanta 9ft. dish that I have the manual for.

05-06-12_1447.jpg

05-06-12_1501.jpg

05-06-12_1548.jpg

Looks good!
Taking your time always pays off in the long run. That will be a nice size for C-band, should get just about everything.
One question; from the picture of the polar mount, how is the declination adjusted?

Looks GREAT!
If you rush it, it may end up pointing North.:)
That old Wilson will be bouncing signal once again before you know it.
I could, but I'll let Pixl give you the declination answer.

I haven't messed with the declination, I think it is elongated holes on the right side of the frame picture posted above. Since I didn't move the dish very far from it's last set up, I figure to just leave it at that adjustment.

RT can you add to this.

Wilson Dish 009.jpgIn post #1, picture #2, on the left end of the large square tube is the nut with the elongated hole you mentioned. This picture may show it. I would agree, you did not move it far enough to worry. I'm at 43.99 and you are just South of the 45th. Micro movement at most?

RT.

Last edited:
Got a little progress today, tightened up all the panel bolts in sequence as found in the Scientific Atlanta manual. Everything drew down nicely and the dish took shape. Also put on the lnb mount. Next time the lnb goes up, and maybe some signals.

05-28-12_1151.jpg

05-28-12_1148.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)