921 Questions

Grandpa J

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2004
Camarillo, CA
First may I say I did read the other threads re 921 but before spending $1,000 - I want to be sure I really understand the situation. I currently have two - 811s and two - 301s with a 500 & 300 connected to a SW 64 switch. The set up works fine so I could used some guidance before playing with it.
Questions:
1 - If I add a 921 would it excess the max boxes Dish allows for a home acct
2A - Would I need a 2nd SW 64
2B - Or can I add a difference switch to get the two addition lines for the 921.
2C - Or would I be better off going to the DPP equipment and 921 the spliter.
2D - If I go with the DPP will able to run the 2 811s, 2-301s and the 921 off the DPP 44 - will I need a additional switch
3 - Any guess when the specs for the 942 will be known
I could replace one of the 811s but the 811s are currently working pretty well and reading posts here I would to be sure the 921 is running smoothly on my set up for a few months before dropping an 811 or perhaps a 301.

Thanks

A1: No. But your bigger problem is exceeding the 4-tuner limit of your switches.

A2: You're raising all the right questions, and seem to understand the issues. :)
Before making a recommendation, I want to know the following:
  • Is your Dish 500 LNBF a pair of Duals, or a Quad?
  • What are you using the Dish 300 for, and do all your boxes need it?

As for your Q.2A & 2D - you would still need a second switch. :(

For 2C you must be talking about the DPP Separator - it's NOT a splitter, and especially considering we may be talking about splitters for a 2nd SW64, let's be careful with the terminology. ;)

A3: There's a thread around here somewhere that has all the known info on the 942. Sorry, I don't quite remember where it is. Note that it will NOT make any difference regarding your LNBF/switch configuration needs.

As for worrying about the 921 running smoothly, as long as you stay away from OTA, it's a pretty stable box right now, with only a few more issues than the 811.

U can have up to 6 tuners under your account. Your system is legacy, change it over to dp. u wil need 2 dp 34 switch, 1 dp twin. dp34 is $99 each, dptwin $79, + labor $59/hour I don't expect them come out with separator pretty soon, it took them 3 years to get 921 out to door. probably another year for dp separator to be available widely.

dulzen: welcome aboard, but be careful with your advice. ;)

The DPP44 and DPP Separator have been out in the field for some time now.

Until we know for sure what the OP is really going to want to do, let's not have him going out and spending a bunch of Franklins, OK?

For all we know at this point, he'd be happy with simply adding a second Dish 500 for just the 921. What would that cost - around $100?

WOW - talk about an off-topic question! :D

Quick answer - yes - sometimes. There's trouble with some stations. E* has been working on it for months. It will NOT record analog OTA and never will.

PLEASE: If you have folow-up questions, read the many threads on this exact topic here and at dbstalk.com, and then either start your own thread, and continue an appropriate one there. Thank you. :)

SimpleSimon

I have a Quad LNBF for the 500

The 2 - 301s run 2 - TiVos which my wife loves (easy to use, season pass etc) and after 42 years I not going to tell her I'm dropping them until I'm sure the 921 (942) are working somewhat like TiVo software. I'm too old and chicken to fight with her.

One of the reason I asked these questions is some of the problems I read about DP switches. I also know some people have had problems with the SW 64s but I have not (5 years now). So all else being equal I would not just change to DP unless it really makes sense.

I am concerned about the OTA issue you raises. I live in an area outside LA. I cannot get the LA analog signals but do get with a large UHF and Amp LA OTA digital HD. I would not want to give up all the local HD signals.

Thank you

Whew. Talk about rock and hard place.

I still don't know why you need the Dish 300. Locals, CBS-HD, or something else?
Do ALL boxes have to have access to it?

Next, is a second Dish 500 an option (wife acceptance factor and a place to put it)?

If all 3 birds have to be on every box, you have to get a second SW64, splitters, and all the other associated grief. OR, you'd have to clone both your dishes.

If you can live with ONE extra Dish 500, put a Twin on it to drive whichever 2 boxes don't need the 3rd bird. That's about $100 in hardware.

Conversion to DishPro would be cleaner, but rather expensive - of course a second SW64 ain't free either.

I'm thinking the best way out is to leave the outside stuff alone, and drop one 301 and one 811 while you're in "test mode". This assumes you'd be dropping them anyway - but I don't know why/where all these boxes are.

Guess that's about all I can say for now. :(

SimpleSimon

First many thanks for your replies.

Because my wife (and to be fair myself) many times record and view at the same time the 301s record SD on TiVos and we view on HD sets using the 811s. Also in many cases I watch sports and she is watching something else. In our case we are grandfather for distant nets so that maybe going away Jan.1, but as for now we can record the shows we want even if they are broadcast against each other. Each 301/Tivo set up actually sits next to a 811. And of course the 301s can not record OTA because all I can get is a digital signal OTA.

I live just outside the LA area. The non network LA locals are on Dish 148 bird. So to get all LA locals analog for the 301s I need the 300 as well as the 500 for 110 & 119

Been with Dish about 10 years but from various posts and your great comments it just might pay to wait until Jan 1 and see what its the best way to go even it it means, and I hope not, going to D*/HDTivo. G-D I hope E* gets the 921 or 942 into better shape then you are right I could drop some Dish boxes but.....

Thank you again.

SimpleSimon said:
dulzen: welcome aboard, but be careful with your advice. ;)

The DPP44 and DPP Separator have been out in the field for some time now.

Until we know for sure what the OP is really going to want to do, let's not have him going out and spending a bunch of Franklins, OK?

For all we know at this point, he'd be happy with simply adding a second Dish 500 for just the 921. What would that cost - around $100?
for 2nd dish install it would not cost 100$. if your call any local retailer ask them to install 3rd dish, it would be min. $200, plus in california most of us have tile roof, which means we would need under eve mount. Any additional hardware and labor is going to be more expensive. and i don't they would do it, in long term, what if he decides to get more tuners, is he going to have to put another dish? also he has to run ugly wires all round.
On the otherhand, if transfer over to dp, u would have less wires and u can upgrade easily. which in return raises value of your house.

Again dulzen, you're generalizing without knowing the situation. The OP may be quite capable of installing his own gear, which means $100 for the hardware, which is what I said before.

Anyway, I think the thing to do is go for the 921, and unplug a 301/811 pair and see how it does for you. Maybe leave the 811 & 301 "active" on your account for a month. That way you can go back to them in a matter of just a couple of minutes if you have to. Unless one of your favorite OTA stations is one of the troublemakers (go check out the 921 forums at DBStalk.com for details), you'll probably be happy. The 921 generally does fine for viewing OTA - it's recording it that's a problem, and you can't do that now, so no loss. ;)

Otherwise, you're in for an expensive add-on switch setup, or even a full conversion to DishPro ($ouch$).

Thank you again

I think I have all the basic facts so now it's just a question of picking which was to go. Of course that's the hard part. Who said life should be simple and easy.

I will certainly advise on what I do but I have to settle these items first -

- Wife really wants TiVo features
- Directv press release says they will be adding a lot of HD by mid 2005 and more by 2007. This info seems to confirm the stories posted here and elsewhere.
- As of yet Dish has not responded with any type of statement on new HD and/or new receiver. Just for a the hell of it I'll check out Charlie Chat next Monday but don't really think we will hear anything new.

As I said I really want to stay with Dish but at this moment Dish seems to be behind the curve. I already have paid a lot for the Dish equipment I currently have (and for the old 4200, 4700, 6000, etc). So given D* press release before spending even more with Dish I need to hear about their plans for the future. Charlie has pull a rabbits out of the hat before so I hope he will again.

A potential recommendation......

I also had maxed out my ports on my SW64. Last November I took them up on their "Free" 510 receiver in exchange for a 2 year commitment. It included "any" required supplemental items in the deal. Bottom line, I got a 2nd SW64, all the splitters needed, and all cabling and labor as required. Plus I was able to add an extra receiver for my basement after he left. (Giving me now a 921, a 510, 2 7200 Dishplayers, and a 4900 active in my house).

Note be sure that you specify that you want to ADD the receiver, not exchange it for a 301 for example. After a month or so you can deactivate one of the 301s. Then you can add the 921 and plug into one of the newly available ports. Since you already have a 301, I figured this might work for you, and I saved $750 in parts and labor doing it this way.

They may not have the free deal anymore, but they had a $99 deal for a one year commit last time I checked.......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)