97W - can’t get good signal quality

KKBeth19

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2019
Bethlehem, Georgia 30620
Trying to understand why I can’t get clear picture. Signal quality = 70/71. Geosatpro 90 cm dish on a tripod on ground. Old traxis dbs3500 receiver. TP21 - freq 12060 and SR 22000 - Horizontal.

Any thoughts?

2F52126E-871C-43D2-8F63-19A76DED333B.png
4CA3DA26-8E1B-4EF1-B11D-EE9AAB2ECFFA.jpeg

229C58C2-DC27-49F4-9756-8B9B8FE0151C.jpeg
66C98C66-DF04-495C-9CD5-54FB2EBE2DB0.jpeg
D9E49399-683A-46DE-BDEF-997F3AF4282A.jpeg
6F6B15FA-2BDB-4D86-8763-CC4B78647BA5.jpeg

Reactions: spongella
From my location in Bethlehem, Ga I can’t seem to locate a spot on my property that does not have these massive trees in the background. Currently the dish is approx. 50 - 60 ft from the tree line.

What can I do?
Roof mount instead?

Do you have a new setup? Or has it worked properly before (on this satellite, or other satellites)?

Have you tried 12063, and 12057, instead of 12060?
Sometimes an LNB LOF has drifted....

For line of sight, have you checked the free sight along the needed elevation angle (that would be about 48 degrees)?
Due to calibration inaccurateness, apps aren't always that accurate.
I would check line of sight first, before trying rigorous measures... ;)

Unfortunately, solar outage time (the days when the sun runs exactly behind the satellite belt, so you can check at the proper moment of day that the sun shines at your dish) this fall is already history. Will happen begin March again for 34North.

BTW, :welcome to satelliteguys!

Greetz,
A33

Do you have a new setup? Or has it worked properly before (on this satellite, or other satellites)?

Have you tried 12063, and 12057, instead of 12060?
Sometimes an LNB LOF has drifted....

For line of sight, have you checked the free sight along the needed elevation angle (that would be about 48 degrees)?
Due to calibration inaccurateness, apps aren't always that accurate.
I would check line of sight first, before trying rigorous measures... ;)

Unfortunately, solar outage time (the days when the sun runs exactly behind the satellite belt, so you can check at the proper moment of day that the sun shines at your dish) this fall is already history. Will happen begin March again for 34North.

BTW, :welcome to satelliteguys!

Greetz,
A33

it is a new setup - new dish. Single lnb standard that came with the dish so I do not there is any lnb issue or drift. Traxis receiver is used/old one I used 7+ years ago with a different dish. I have never tried to get this satellite previously.

Thinking it is a line of site issue. Trees!!!!!
So where do I go on my property to get that clear line of site?

53960745-849E-440F-A09C-6BEDA3B6C320.png

I think the trees have your number. But I would check at dishpointer.com and use the Line of Sight map tool. It helped me know the closest I could place my dish to the house without blocking signals to my west.

what do you mean the closest you could place it to your house without blocking signals? I am 5-6 ft from my house. Could it be causing interference?

See where it says "H=56.9ft"? That means if the TREE is any higher than 56.9ft, you will NOT clear it to get sat signal.

IF you know the approximate height of the tree, IE say it's 85ft, pull back from the present dish location far enough to get ABOVE that height so it can "see" the satellite clearly in orbit.

Conversely, putting the dish on your roof (or tall pole) ADDS the height from the ground to the dish for clearance of the tree. Say tree is 85ft, and your dish on the roof is at 20ft height. That means 56.9 + 20 = it can now clear a tree the height of 76.9 ft... Still not high enough for the theoretical 85ft tree, but now you have the idea of how far you have to move the dish on your property to get clear line of sight.

I assume you have adjusted the skew for the best signal? Is the mount (more specifically the mast) plumb? If yes to that then try alternate sites on the property as others suggested, sometimes moving the mount a few feet makes a difference.

Your tripod mount I assume is temporary. One thing about tripod ground mounts (I've tried many) , they add a level of instability and moving parts to the installation and can be problematic. Go for something more substantial like a pole sunk into the ground or a pallet mount when you find your sweet spot on in the back yard. I'd do that before climbing a roof, much safer on the ground. Good luck and keep us posted.

In my experience, going on 10 years, 97W isn't the easiest satellite to hone in on, it takes a lot of tweaking and minor AZ/EL adjustments can make a difference.

See where it says "H=56.9ft"? That means if the TREE is any higher than 56.9ft, you will NOT clear it to get sat signal.

IF you know the approximate height of the tree, IE say it's 85ft, pull back from the present dish location far enough to get ABOVE that height so it can "see" the satellite clearly in orbit.

Conversely, putting the dish on your roof (or tall pole) ADDS the height from the ground to the dish for clearance of the tree. Say tree is 85ft, and your dish on the roof is at 20ft height. That means 56.9 + 20 = it can now clear a tree the height of 76.9 ft... Still not high enough for the theoretical 85ft tree, but now you have the idea of how far you have to move the dish on your property to get clear line of sight.
I assume you have adjusted the skew for the best signal? Is the mount (more specifically the mast) plumb? If yes to that then try alternate sites on the property as others suggested, sometimes moving the mount a few feet makes a difference.

Your tripod mount I assume is temporary. One thing about tripod ground mounts (I've tried many) , they add a level of instability and moving parts to the installation and can be problematic. Go for something more substantial like a pole sunk into the ground or a pallet mount when you find your sweet spot on in the back yard. I'd do that before climbing a roof, much safer on the ground. Good luck and keep us posted.

In my experience, going on 10 years, 97W isn't the easiest satellite to hone in on, it takes a lot of tweaking and minor AZ/EL adjustments can make a difference.

Skew is set correctly at 18.8 and the tripod is plumb at the moment! I do hear you on it not being the permanent structure. I have an old dish network mount on the roof to the rear of where the tripod and dish are currently. My best guess just now in the dark is I could get the dish 12 ft higher if I mounted it there and relocated 97 W. Maybe it would be enough to clear the tree/s.

I think I am dealing with 90 ft tree obstacle.
(90-12 ft higher dish = 78 - seems like it would work based on below line of site)

1296571F-187B-41C4-8027-170F9463441B.png

I really appreciate your advice.
Going to try the existing “dish“ mount on my roof to get that extra 12 ft of clearance. Will report back on progress probably not until next Saturday.....too dark after work for roof work!

Reactions: primestar31
Just another piece of advice to not go crazy: Take a small tv set up on the roof with you, along with your receiver to tune it all in. Or if you have a sat meter, take that. Going up and down a ladder 100 times to try to tune it in remotely sucks. As does staying on the roof trying to call to have your wife yell NO, when you ask "Is it better now"? LOL

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Just another piece of advice to not go crazy: Take a small tv set up on the roof with you, along with your receiver to tune it all in. Or if you have a sat meter, take that. Going up and down a ladder 100 times to try to tune it in remotely sucks. As does staying on the roof trying to call to have your wife yell NO, when you ask "Is it better now"? LOL

Been there last weekend! LOL!
I’ll set up the tv and receiver below me while on the roof. The funny thing about this is I bought the geosatpro only because my Andrews optical dish I was using initially ( a little smaller) was having the same issue. I was thinking it and the 10+ yr old lnb had gone bad. Psych!!!
I am sure we have all been here early in our FTA hobby/career. Just hate admitting this crap to the misses after spending $100 bucks to get the same results.

I’ll just call it the backup in case of storm damage!

I am in a similar situation like you with many trees in the way. I started Ku in 2004.
I agree with others that the tree is a problem. However, there is still a 71% lock on your signal quality. The Traxis was always a great line of DVB-S receivers. That lock should give you a solid picture. I am thinking a bad cable/cable end connector or perhaps a receiver problem. I would move your tripod and try for the strong cctv channels on 95 west.

This would eliminate other potential problems. Personally, I am shooting through three trees and have reliably got 97 west. It is a strong satellite here in the Maritimes.

However, if you are aimed at the trunk of the tree, you will have to move your dish higher.

I've had three different dishes on my roof, but no more!! Put up a pole four years ago.IMG_0073.JPG

I am in a similar situation like you with many trees in the way. I started Ku in 2004.
I agree with others that the tree is a problem. However, there is still a 71% lock on your signal quality. The Traxis was always a great line of DVB-S receivers. That lock should give you a solid picture. I am thinking a bad cable/cable end connector or perhaps a receiver problem. I would move your tripod and try for the strong cctv channels on 95 west.

This would eliminate other potential problems. Personally, I am shooting through three trees and have reliably got 97 west. It is a strong satellite here in the Maritimes.

However, if you are aimed at the trunk of the tree, you will have to move your dish higher.

I've had three different dishes on my roof, but no more!! Put up a pole four years ago.View attachment 142306

I appreciate the comments/feedback.
Thanks to everyone on the site. I hate it when it does not go as planned, but the troubleshooting aspect I enjoy also. My only real purpose is to get BVN for my wife of 28 years. We had it for 3-4 yrs then they switched satellites and we gave up for years. Her family was here this summer and again in the fall and some Dutch programming would have been nice for her 75 yr old parents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)