99 cent VOD movies

I got two of the VODs. Last night with 'movies & more', I got The Green Zone. It was hinky. Started out in 4X3 and the only way to get it 6x9 was to stop it and restart it.

Got the Alice in Wonderland today on 501, the 1080p versions mostly to see how well 1080p from dish looked. Great!! Not quite BluRay quality but very nearly so.

Eddie, isn't the channel 1 VOD in 1080p and PPV not?

Eddie, isn't the channel 1 VOD in 1080p and PPV not?
Though my Sony SXRD upconverts everything to 1080p, it is an earlier model that doesn't do 1080p/24, so my guess is that I will only get the 1080i regardless of which one I select.

It's my understanding that you can no longer archive a PPV onto the HDD (I have a 722 with ethernet connection) and I don't think I'd liked to be forced to watch it within the "All Day" 24 hr window that comes with PPV.

If the VOD lays it onto the HDD, but doesn't start it's auto-erase time-clock until you actually select it from the queue, that may be a better choice.

As you can see....I really don't know the difference between PPV and VOD.

? about ordering the .99 ppv

Was going to order .99 ppv but looking at in the 500 section and when I click on say Alice and Wonderland it says 8pm...which means i will be joining the movie halfway thru then since its almost 9pm correct???

Last time I ordered a ppv from the 500's it joined the movie already in progress...

I checked the dish on demand movies and i see only hot tub time machine on it...

What options do I have and what can I do???

Thanks in advance

I know I can do that...but if my wife wont be able to stay up late as we just got back from vacation...I guess I could order it and then record it then correct???

First time I have rented a movie since they had I Am Legend for $.99 when they first had 1080p available. I rented Alice just to check out the quality, and it is very nice at 1080p/24. I would imagine being a fairly regular user at this price.

I watched one of these movies last night. To me this is a good deal and is on par with Redbox and Netflix pricing. Sorry Dish, but I cannot imagine anyone paying $6.99 for DVD quality on demand movies (just my opinion, but dish HD movies are not quite bluray quality). Keep this .99 deal up and you will get plenty of business from me.

My wife and I rented Hot Tube Time Machine last night on VOD for $0.99 - if they kept this pricing scheme up we would use it pretty regularly, but $6.99 is far too much for a 24 hour rental.

Is there some way we can all let DISH know that we want the $0.99 to be a regular thing?

DISH could make up alot of money on volume of subs alone if they charged just .99 cents for all of the pay per view movies. Or they could offer .99 cent movies on Fridays or Saturdays or dare I say weekends? Test it out and I bet DISH would haul in the revenue if they tried it and advertised it for a while.

I'm hoping this is what they're doing, testing out to see what kind of demand they get for the 0.99 cents movies.

I thought Alice looked pretty good at 1080i, and the .99 price is about right for less than BD quality. Were that to become the normal rental price, I'm sure I'd be using the service more often.

I wouldn't expect to see that pricing become normal, though. From what I remember, the pricing is more of a result of studio's profit than Dish's. The studios are very happy to make more off of VOD rentals than physical copies and are making efforts to see that as their next growth area, countering physical media's decline.

Scott

We've rented "Hot Tub Time Machine" and "Alice In Wonderland" at the $.99 price point. Very happy to pay that price for a movie (and "Alice" looked really, really great at 1080p). We'll definitely take advantage of $.99 offers from Dish again, but will never rent for more than that. There's a Redbox just down the street and that's what we use otherwise. Paying the same price point without having to leave the house is something we'd do pretty regularly, however there's no way I'll cough up $6.99 for movie I can rent for a buck for a 2 minute drive or a 10 minute walk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)