A bunch of QUESTIONS about 95W Setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

user92626

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 7, 2007
Hi All,
Please patient with a newbie. I'm trying to set up dish antenna to get 95W channels. I already have the oldest round 18" dish.

1. Would another round dish pointing in 95W direction work, assuming everything else is in place?

2. If not, where I can I get an oval international dish with 4x4 switch at the cheapest price in southern CA, US (LA, Orange County area), preferably pick up in person?

3. Does the International dish have the same installation footprint as the 18" round dish or there's more, since installation place is tricky for me?

Many thanks in advance

I can help on #1. You connect the 95W dish to one of the flexports on the Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch with the 4 normal inputs on the switch connected to the other dish (3LNB or 5LNB). Or if you only have the dual LNB round dish, connect its two outputs to the Sat A inputs on the 6x8. Of course, you'll need a receiver that can access the international channels.

jdspencer,
First, thanks.

I do NOT have a 95W specific dish. My question is does a 18" round dish work if I point it to 95W settings (longtitude, azusomething)?
I already have everything else like account, 4x4 switch.

jdspencer,
First, thanks.

I do NOT have a 95W specific dish. My question is does a 18" round dish work if I point it to 95W settings (longtitude, azusomething)?

The 95W sat delivers the signal in a different format than the other D* sats. It uses traditional sat polarity (horizontal and vertical) rather than DSS polarity (spiral). The LNB on a 95W dish is thus different to receive and decode this different signal. Note 95W dish is bigger than normal sats (old 18") and has a greater mounting requirement.

You then need to pass signal from 95W through one of the flexports on the Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch. You also need a relatively new STB that has software recognizing the existence of the 95W sat in the D* fleet.

I would suggest a professional install.

jdspencer,
First, thanks.

Short answer: NO!

More detailed answer: In order to get the 95W signal, you will need a different dish more commonly referred to as DirecTV World Direct Dish (the dish on the left in the attached photo - notice the odd looking LNB). This dish receives signal from both 95 and 101 only!
If you need to receive signal from anywhere else (99, 103, 110, 119), you will need an additional dish such as a Phase 3 or AT-9 (dish on the right in photo) or AU-9 Slimline.

A 4x4 will work with the World Direct Dish if that is all you want but again if you want to receive signal from any other location you are going to need to change out your MS to something which has a Flex Port.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• dishes.jpg
    dishes.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 238
In simple terms...no the basic LNB will not pick up the 95. you need the international dish. It will also pick up the 101 so you only need the one dish. Unless you have HD then you need the KA/KU and the int'l dishes together with a 6x8. I have what you need. Contact me at darobster1@yahoo.com if you can't find it locally.

otherwise get a 30" dish and a KU Band LNB. There are places in LA that carry them.

on the 4x4 multiswitch just hook the 95 LNB to the 18v side. You dont need the 6x8 mukltiswitch. The 4x4 will work fine

Thanks for all the helps, guys.

Iceberg, do you know any shop in LA that sells sat equipments?

Ok, I got an Int dish and a 4x4 switch from ebay and put it up nicely over the weekend. Took me and my bro 4 hrs for everything, only becuz it was complete lack of experience with equipment on my part. My bro-in-law was basically following my direction.

One thing that bugs me though is that a neighbor uses two ROUND LNBS (with a samsonic oval dish) whereas I have to use a specific VERTICAL lnb (and another round lnb for 101). Why is that? if round was OK, it would have been easier for me to find, including the dish, cheaper also.

Status
Please reply by conversation.