A good OTA antenna outdoor

Chris36

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 24, 2009
Rhode Island
Hello,

I want to get a better antenna. Right now I have a indoor antenna. I have seen that Radio Shack has them that go for 60 miles for UHF and 100 for VHF. I'm in zip code 02885. I want to get the Boston locals a little stronger. I can't put the antenna on the roof. I know it would be better. But I was going to stick it by the side of the house. Do you think I should see some difference at all?? Right now my signal going through Dish Network ranges from 64 to 73 for some of the Boston channels and they are over 30 miles away from where I am. So be nice if it would be a stronger signal. I seem a few sites like antenna web tv fool and the FCC sites saying what you might get. They said I could get a few more like 62.1 or 68.1. I get most of all the Boston channels just be nice if they don't go out to much that's all.

But I think it's also on what way the antenna is pointing too towards whatever tower is in site of the antenna.

Thank you,
Chris

Hello,

I want to get a better antenna. Right now I have a indoor antenna. I have seen that Radio Shack has them that go for 60 miles for UHF and 100 for VHF. I'm in zip code 02885. I want to get the Boston locals a little stronger. I can't put the antenna on the roof. I know it would be better. But I was going to stick it by the side of the house. Do you think I should see some difference at all?? Right now my signal going through Dish Network ranges from 64 to 73 for some of the Boston channels and they are over 30 miles away from where I am. So be nice if it would be a stronger signal. I seem a few sites like antenna web tv fool and the FCC sites saying what you might get. They said I could get a few more like 62.1 or 68.1. I get most of all the Boston channels just be nice if they don't go out to much that's all.

But I think it's also on what way the antenna is pointing too towards whatever tower is in site of the antenna.

Thank you,
Chris
You're really handicapping your reception by putting it on the side of the house. I used TVfool and put in 10 ft above ground level. Everything LOS should be receivable with a UHF antenna, I would suggest a 2 bay UHF bowtie. I use an Eagle Aspen Pro Brand DTV2BUHF $29.99 from Solid Signal at 67 miles from Dallas and you are looking at stations about 40 miles distant. If you do a google search for that antenna I found starting prices of $14.99. Warren, RI shows that you are looking virtually through the entire state to get those Boston stations you really need as much elevation as you can get. There have got to be a lot of tall buildings between you and the broadcasters.

Last edited:
Unless all the stations are in the same direction then mounting on the side of the house really is a hit or miss thing. I mounted a 4 bay antenna in a 5 gallon bucket for my son and sat it on the patio. It points south and picks stuff to the north off the backside of the antenna. Stations are on average 30-35 miles away.

Actually, if one of the sides of his house faces north, it might be doable. All of the Boston stations are about 40 miles away.

Attachments

• Radar-All2.png
    Radar-All2.png
    67.6 KB · Views: 248
Even if it's not on the roof, just getting the antenna outside will help reception.

Have you thought of putting the antenna on a pole on the north side of the house, possibly attached at ground and at the eve?

If you're looking at Radio Shack, you may as well start out cheap, look at the AntennaCraft AC9 ($18.95). It's only rated at about 25 miles, but it appears many of the stations are LOS (line of sight) - although I'm not sure the TVFool report shown by ckhalil18 is anywhere close to your exact address, it was probably generated by your zip code.

The next jump up is about $50 for the RS 5884. Yes, I know these are all channel antennas, but I'm working cheap here - If you want to spend money, go with the Winegard HD6794 which is a great antenna and will outlast both of the AntennaCraft trinkets - just my $0.02.

First thing for you to do is run a TVFool.com assessment using your EXACT address, maybe even going to the TVFool mapping facility and finding your house on the satellite map and entering the exact height you will be putting the antenna - this will give you a better picture of your challenges, which do not appear to be many.

Looks like you are somewhere around Warren DE. The terrain is not challenging between you and the Boston towers, since you are getting them on your indoor antenna, almost anything outdoors should work. decide how much you want to spend and buy accordingly.

BTW, with strong signals that distance away, height is your best friend, I picked a location at Lincoln and Read Ave down by the river and going from 20 ft AGL to 40 ft AGL sent me from 2 edge to LOS and signal went from 17.3dB NM to 26.6dB NM - a 20 fold increase for channel 62.1. So try an antenna at the roof eve height and then look at getting it up another 10 ft or so. I don't know if you're in a 1 or 2 story house but again, height is your best friend.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)