A New Petition for Universal Studios to Support Blu-ray

beatboy77

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 28, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Following the advice of some others, I have created a NEW Petition for Universal Studios to release its films on the Blu-ray disc format. I have gone with www.petitionspot.com for the new Petition. The new Petition link is here:

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/bd1

We, the supporters of this Petition feel that it would be a good decision for Universal Studios to release its films on the Blu-ray disc technology as it would give Blu-ray support from all major studios (5 of which would be exclusive) and HD-DVD would have no exclusive support from any major studio and thus ending this format war quickly. This would help the consumer as then the consumer would definitively know which format to invest their money in.

If you agree with our point of view, please sign the Petition, if not, please do not.

~Josh

If you create a petition urging Universal not to support BR, I'd sign that, in hopes that HD DVD, a simpler, cheaper technology that, so far at least, produces picture and sound at least as good as, and in many cases, better than, BR, will prevail. I'd also be happy to sign a petition urging the BR studios to release on HD DVD. I'll take a pass on this one, though.

Strange Universal is the sole HD DVD only studio. The original lawsuit against consumer video recording - the one that ended up with the U.S. Supreme Court ruling the "Fair Use" policy that enshrined the consumer's right to record programing for personal use - was Universal vs. Sony. I wonder if Universal corporate culture really has that long a memory?

At any rate, history lessons aside, hell no I won't sign a petition for Universal to support Blur-ay! After Disney and MGM support HD DVD in addition to Blur-ay, I might consider it. (Sony & Fox can shove their video where the sun don't shine for all I care).

Have a great day. :hatsoff:

FYI, there are other smaller companies only supporting HD DVD (Weinstein/Genius, some adult companies, etc).

PS> Only 52 signatures, I think Universal should stand put. :)

Well they most likely will come to Blu-Ray due to again after the CES Show it was clear everyone is supporting Blu-Ray.

Well they most likely will come to Blu-Ray due to again after the CES Show it was clear everyone is supporting Blu-Ray.

Except Weinstein and Universal. Good thing considering at least "Sin City 2", "Clerks", "Clerks 2", "Mallrats" and possibly "Chasing Amy" and "Dogma" as well as "Sin City" will be on HD-DVD.

Just be careful.... A few of the first Weinstein titles have some glitches. Wait a few days to see if there are any issues (The Digital Bits is a good place to go.... whenever a studio screws up a pressing, they blow the whistle within 72 hours of launch in most cases ... ie. the Back to the Future matting problem and the Superman Box set issues from a few months back))

So far so good on the Weinstein titles for me. Matador, ScaryMovie 4, Derailed and Wolf Creek. Using both the HD-A1 and RCA players.

-John

I think I still have a BTTF DVD set with the matting problem. No biggie for me, as it mostly was a problem in #2, which is by far the worst of the set.

I work for GE (which owns Universal) and I support Bluray. Bought a PS3 and it is wonderful. I have urged our Universal unit to support Bluray (that is my petition to them !). I am sure they will support Bluray one day.

All you guys that are sony haters are using your emotions. There are more Bluray burners now than HD-DVD burners. Player prices are coming down. More companies are coming out with players. The initial glitches are mostly worked out. Movie glitches are also gone. Come on. Let's just unify. More space, more head room. All things equal, go with Bluray.

I work for GE (which owns Universal) and I support Bluray. Bought a PS3 and it is wonderful. I have urged our Universal unit to support Bluray (that is my petition to them !). I am sure they will support Bluray one day.

All you guys that are sony haters are using your emotions. There are more Bluray burners now than HD-DVD burners. Player prices are coming down. More companies are coming out with players. The initial glitches are mostly worked out. Movie glitches are also gone. Come on. Let's just unify. More space, more head room. All things equal, go with Bluray.

Again, screw Sony. I will not support them after the rootkit incident.

Again, screw Sony. I will not support them after the rootkit incident.

And you support M$ and their FUD tactics and strong arming companies out of the software business by incorporating their products into M$'s window products?

The rootkit incident was bogus but seeing as how much money has been lost by record companies over the last 5 years you are going to see more stuff like this from other compaines.:(

And you support M$ and their FUD tactics and strong arming companies out of the software business by incorporating their products into M$'s window products?

Where did I say that? Screw M$ too.

The rootkit incident was bogus but seeing as how much money has been lost by record companies over the last 5 years you are going to see more stuff like this from other compaines.:(

No it was _not_ bogus, it REALLY happened, they admitted it, they even released software that removed it (once they got busted), so how can you say it is bogus?, but, whatever, their loss is not from piracy, it's from lousy talent, because as any one, with any brains knows, the protection schemes do NOTHING to prevent piracy (you know, the REAL kind, the kind in [mostly] different countries where these protections are a laughing stock?), they only keep the honest people honest, so go sell that crap somewhere else, I am not buying it.

I can have my own opinion, as you can have yours, screw Sony, I hope they fail miserably, and to make you happy, the same to Microsoft, I'd rather go back to 8-tracks and VHS, if it meant I got to watch them both crash and burn. :p

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts