A note on Map Master

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
The 4DMapMaster Restoration Project team is proud to announce the availability of the 4DMapMaster Restoration program (MMR). This project has been a long time coming, but the time has come to release the first public version of 4DMapMaster. We have put together a couple of different web sites that contain all the necessary files to be downloaded to correctly use the program. There are also other files that will allow you to enhance your 4DTV viewing experience. There are also technical documents if you have a desire to get an in depth understanding of the 4DTV hardware. There is only one catch to all of this. If you use any of this documentation or the program itself, you are the one responsible for any failures. We will only accept praise for the successful situations. But if you can contribute information to our effort to help make MMR a better program, please feel free to post any experiences you may have. We have made every effort to provide a detailed step by step procedure to allow you to obtain, install, and use the proper hardware and software to be successful at replacing your outdated 4DTV maps. We will not and can not hold your hand. Please do not screw it up. We are counting on you!

Several files are necessary to run the necessary programs. The programs come in two flavors, the Linux version and the Windows version. MMR for Windows require redistributable dll files from Microsoft and Nokia (QT). Linux has them installed by default. And do not forget the USBBDM hardware and USBBDM NT software. They have both Linux and Windows versions also, and require a different set of redistributable dll files from Microsoft and Nokia. Our site has most of these files; feel free to download your own copy from Microsoft, Nokia, or USBBSM support sites. We have provided an installation document that covers everything you ever wanted to know about the installation process. It is the first file listed on the map master site. Please read it. Print it off and read it again, and again. After you think you know what you are going to be doing, read it again. Go to this site to get all of the support files. https://sites.google.com/site/4dtvmapmaster/home

Once you have all of the MMR support software installed and have the proper USBBDM hardware you will be ready for the MMR program. The 4DMapMaster program is freeware. I expended lots of hours to produce this program so that others could enjoy the fruits of my and others efforts. Some year I may provide the source to someone(s) who can make heads or tail of the ~10,000 lines of C++/Qt code and to continue support of the 4DTV map restoration effort. Please do not ask for the source, you can not have it! The executable program is another thing. Please send an e-mail to MapMasterWizard@gmail.com to request a copy of the executable program web site URL. I will send you the URL for the other web site to download the MMR program and some other enhanced map files. I will try to check my mail every day. This is not intended to restrict anybody from using the program. I just want to get some idea of how many people have an interest in this project. The MMR program has two different modes of operation, beginner and not beginner. I could have called it expert mode, but we do not have any experts, just non beginners who have various levels of understanding of the internals of the 4DTV receiver and the satellite mapping structure. The beginner mode will do everything you need to do to dump the maps from a binary and reload the entire set of maps to create a new binary. The extended mode (menu item switch controlled) allows more tools to probe the map binaries and edit custom maps. It is really intend for a more knowledgeable user. It has tools to dump the binary in hex, do diffs, and do hex editing of the binary. The program has lots of documentation about the map structure and instructions of how to read/write the maps. If you can provide insight into anything, please send it to me or post it for discussion. I hope through the use of this forum to be able to provide information and receive input from all who want to contribute to our effort. Money is not needed, knowledge is! Through that interaction and information exchange, I hope to be able to provide a program that will be useful to all forum followers.

I am writing this for anyone who wanted to get the USBDM NT "board" from the website listed in the instructions.
It appears that the web site may have changed a little so when anyone is ordering the BDM NT board please make sure you order the correct device.
This is the description of the item you want taken from the site that sells them, but due to the way the web site is set up there is no direct link to this particular device.
Note that this is the 10 pin device....
-------------------------------------------------------------
USBBDM NT

Includes: 1.USBBDM NT Board.
2. 10 pin flat cable.

Regular Price USD $60.00
Add to Cart
Download USBBDM NT software
User manual
Testing hardware, MC68331 CPU. eg. DCT2224/DCT2244. If you are not sure, pleas ask.
You are highly recommended to download the software and run first to check if it is compatible with your OS.
---------------------------------------------------------

You do not want the one with the 14 pins in it!

This is being written as there may have been one person who ordered the wrong device.

I know many do not take the time to read all the instructions carefully as it is stated about the 10 pin device in the instructions so please take your time reading the instructions as then you won't be caught unaware and have to send an item back because it was the incorrect one.
(It does not help when there are more then one device that are similar on the same ordering page but that is the way they set their site up and that may confuse some.)
Also remember that the software to run the item you need is on our website so use the one we have as we know it works properly and once you have something that works properly there is no need to upgrade to a newer version as it may be incompatible with the map restoration program reading it.

Just to let you know. The USBBDM NT came with a 10 pin socket, plus two sets of pins. A 10 pin set and a 14 pin set. This may be the correct one, mentioned above.

Is this hardware and software still available? I have several 922's still sealed in their boxes. Kept as spares and never used.

Yes, the hardware and software are still available. But from your statement, I'm thinking you need to be concentrating on some new batteries first.

Cheers

New batteries being installed as we speak! Hope I can call on you again when I go mapping!
Thanks,
Hugh

I wanted to make a comment about the DSR receivers when the battery dies receiver looses information in a secure chip IC and can not be replaced because these are read only. The receiver can not subscribe to services because the ID is gone. They just make a good dish mover or door stop. The value of receiver drops when battery dies. After the VC2 hack this security feature was implemented in VC2+ all GI and Motorola satellite later receivers.

I wanted to make a comment about the DSR receivers when the battery dies receiver looses information in a secure chip IC and can not be replaced because these are read only. The receiver can not subscribe to services because the ID is gone. They just make a good dish mover or door stop. The value of receiver drops when battery dies. After the VC2 hack this security feature was implemented in VC2+ all GI and Motorola satellite later receivers.
I would also add that if you replace the battery and redo the maps it will still get whatever "free" DCII is up there.Think ,music,and quite a few others,just can't subscribe.

Yes that is correct the MM will restore with a good battery. To all those that created MM THANKS. Why buy a dish mover box when the 920 and 922 will do more. I love the music services and other free video channels and add a DVB Hd receiver through a dc block and have a complete package.
I have a 920 with a bad tuner but good ID and hate to scrap it.

Reactions: Titanium
Are you sure it's a bad tuner and not just one of the small electrolytic capacitors alongside the tuner?If you can still get an analog channel but no digital then it's most likely a cap.

Why buy a dish mover? Because 4DTV units do not automatically move the dish and select servo polarity with every channel change of my more often viewed DVBS/S2 STB. Yes, love having a 4DTV for additional programming, but not a fan of manually changing satellites and polarities when I use the DVBS/S2 receiver more frequently. Each is a tool that makes up a tool chest. :)

I have my 922 for a few years now. I used to subscribe thru Skyvision until I got married and we are on Dish now.
I never used my 922 for anything and it is still plugged up and aimed at W5. The clock is still accurate so i assuming the battery is still good. I will use the receiver for whatever channels are still available and getting back to FTA. I miss all the 4DTV and FTA excitement.
I hope to have my 922 remapped.

Welcome to the site GreatFTA!

Thank you, ke4est. I am one of the older member of Satelliteguy site. I was MrFTAMan. I was off from the site for awhile. I forgot my password and was back into it after resetting the password, but again, I lost it. So I'm going with GreatFTA. I made sure I wrote down the password.

Where can I send my 4d 920 for battery& map upgrade? >>Thanks
I`m also in need of a reputable individual or company to replace the battery and install the map upgrade in my 922.
I`m located in Southern California but am willing to ship my unit,
PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I don't know of anyone that does it anymore. If you go to the link in the first post and read and read and read. I was talking to Brian(Titanium) when I saw this and he made a good point. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself print the instructions and take to a TV shop.

I'm thinking that wildbill47 has done these for other ppl? I sent him an Email just now pointing him to this thread. Maybe he can help.

Reactions: KE4EST
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts