A Wally to replace a VIP211k?

... If you would like a 40.0 remote, I still have one that I would be happy to send you. ...
Well now this is getting frustrating. I ordered a pair of Wallys on the 9th. They were supposedly shipped on the 10th but when I go to Mydish page it does show two orders but only one has a ship date and tracking number. The one with the tracking number arrived Friday. Every time I call about it (3) they tell me the system shows it was shipped and I should be patient. However, they can't explain the lack of a tracking number. UPS was just here and no Wally again. This shouldn't be this difficult.
Well, the good news is that I mailed your 40.0 remote to you today. You should receive it by Friday. :)

Reactions: dishdude
Update: Dish has finally decided they did, in fact, never send the second receiver and so after 8 days they've decided to finally send one. Meanwhile the wife has had no TV in her room for 8 days. Momma not happy!
Well, at least you have a 40.0 remote now. If you can run a cable from the Wally to her room, then she could control it with the UHF remote.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Yes, the Wally is designed to be a straight plug-and-play replacement for a ViP211k on a DPP LNB or switch. Even with an older DP LNB or switch, there is a code that Dish can place on your account to disable the second satellite tuner on the Wally, which would make it compatible. In that case, the model listed on the Diagnostics screen would change to Wally T.

Having the OTA dongle and EHD both connected to the Wally works very well. I have tried this with the really old single-tuner dongle and multiple models of dual-tuner dongles (although only one OTA dongle at a time, obviously) and have not had any issues related to that. By adding a simple USB hub, you can even have more than two USB devices connected to the Wally at the same time. It is recommended to plug the external hard drive directly into one of the Wally's USB ports, and plug the hub into the other USB port. The hub would allow you to have the OTA dongle, Wi-Fi adapter, and Bluetooth adapter all plugged into the Wally at the same time. I have never used the Bluetooth on a Wally, but I have had the OTA, Wi-Fi, and EHD all hooked up at the same time without any issues. At least one other member here has reported having all four USB devices connected to a Wally at the same time, and that also worked well for him.

The minimum EHD size for a Wally is 500GB, which is larger than the minimum needed for other ViP or Hopper receivers. The maximum EHD size supported by a Wally is 4TB.

If you are interested in a spare ViP211k just in case, I recently offered mine to another member here, but never heard back from that person. So, I will make the same offer to you, if you would rather keep using ViP211k instead of switching to a Wally.
I have a ViP211k...<snip>
Admin Note: If you wish to sell on this site, please join up as a Pub Member and post in the classified section.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HipKat
Here's an interesting side note/anomaly with the Wally. When it experiences rain fade, as it did this morning (actually snow fade), it thinks it's a Hopper. The message that pops up says, to paraphrase, the Hopper has tested the system and there are no problems so no need to call for service. Do you think it has an inferiority or superiority complex? :)

I have a ViP211k...<snip>
Admin Note: If you wish to sell on this site, please join up as a Pub Member and post in the classified section.
I am a Pub Member, and I have posted my Wally receivers in the Classified section in the past. I am sold out of those, but I will revive that thread to list my ViP211k there, if you insist.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I am a Pub Member, and I have posted my Wally receivers in the Classified section in the past. I am sold out of those, but I will revive that thread to list my ViP211k there, if you insist.
That was directed at the guy you quoted. ;) Notice I sniped off where he had a phone number to call to sell a 211. :)

Here's an interesting side note/anomaly with the Wally. When it experiences rain fade, as it did this morning (actually snow fade), it thinks it's a Hopper. The message that pops up says, to paraphrase, the Hopper has tested the system and there are no problems so no need to call for service. Do you think it has an inferiority or superiority complex? :)
Split personality

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)

Latest posts