AAAAAAAARGH! Just gotta vent (new install)...

kanebear

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 3, 2005
So I had the house prewired on the off chance that I'd be putting in satellite when we were doing an addition. Tons of coax, etc etc. At the time, I didn't know any better and didn't spec the coax. Oooh BIG mistake. They used good quality coax... Belden 9116 which has a maximum bandwidth of... *drumroll* 1Ghz!!!

So combine this with the fact that the run is some 250 feet and we have an 811 that only sees one polarity of 110 and can't get enough back to the switcher to change satellites! Before I ordered a run of LMR-400-75 I decided to get 300 feet of Belden 1694A and see if that would work. Sho' nuff... it solved the problem. Next time I know... if I'm doing prewiring I WAY overspec the cable.

Sorry to hear that man, dang I'd be fuming if that happened! Truth be told when our new house was being built, we did NOTHING prewired, 'cept for ceiling fans in some rooms. To put in 'basic' cat5e wiring (I don't even think it included all the rooms, but not sure since the person going over the options with us was horrible at it), they wanted $3000! Keeping that in mind, I know someone who wouldn't even charge me that much AFTER construction!

Either way, the house is in Nevada, we're in CA right now (still), though we will finally be moving there around the end of the year. I am rather sure the wiring is your standard issue house wiring -- good stuff for the most part, here our house wiring was more than capable to drive it :)

Thankfully, there's a pair of coax going to *every* room, though on our 2 5 day visits there, I was so busy I didn't have a chance to check where it goes, noting that the company was using structured wiring I'm sure there's a cabinet in the attic or something. -- same with phone jacks, though the alarm system we had put in doesn't even work (needs to be "programmed", *sigh*).

Err, back to topic, sorry to hear about that, but the point I meant to get across is that this is one of the reasons why I opted out of prewiring, I had no control over what was going to be used and at that distance (and no way to actively monitor progress, not to mention not even sure where we wanted the wiring), there would have been no way to know what to get

Plus it can get obsolete easily, next time the best thing might just be to stick conduits ;)

RG-6 rated at 2Ghz is what's required but if you're going over 200 feet I would use RG-11 which has half the loss of RG-6.

PI channels with locals only?

522 Program guide appearance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)