AAD - Is Out of Business

No, restricted only by who can sign up for it. You can watch them anywhere through your account. DISH would use the same/similar DMA to qualify you to get those locals, but you watch them anywhere with them also when you are online- thus Dish anywhere, or Slingbox etc...

EDIT- I now have conflicting reports on this. I see a post from an online review and one other site that said they could not use it when the IP address was outside the DMA. My answer however is based on my Uncle who has it and he watched about a month ago while in the Ozarks with no Proxy.
Of course with a Proxy it can be overcome for anyone.

Last edited:
As far as I am concerned, however, if I'm willing to pay for them, I should be able to have whatever locals I want. I can go to the drugstore on the corner and buy the Chicago Tribune, even though I live in Detroit. I should be able to contact Dish and say, "I'm feelin' like Albuquerque today. Hook me up." It shouldn't be a problem to anybody as long as I am subscribed to my own locals as well.
The problem with your proposal is the local stations have contracts THEY have to adhere to. This could be for syndicated programs or various commercial talent. Using your example, a certain voice talent may not be able to do any work that appears on air in Detroit. But he's ok to do voice work in Albuquerque. Under your proposal, his work for Albuquerque can now show up in Detroit.

The problem with your proposal is the local stations have contracts THEY have to adhere to. This could be for syndicated programs or various commercial talent. Using your example, a certain voice talent may not be able to do any work that appears on air in Detroit. But he's ok to do voice work in Albuquerque. Under your proposal, his work for Albuquerque can now show up in Detroit.

The program on the local tv station isn't syndicated with any of the other major next such as the history channel or cnn. So that part doesn't make since.

The program on the local tv station isn't syndicated with any of the other major next such as the history channel or cnn. So that part doesn't make since.
Ellen, Dr. Phil, Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, Judge Judy, Extra, and Inside Edition are all shows that are syndicated, to say nothing of the old seasons of various sitcoms & dramas (Big Bang Theory, Law & Order, Two & a Half Men, etc).

Going back to renegade's example, a Detroit local station has a contract with the Judge Judy folks that they get the exclusive right to show Judge Judy in the Detroit market. By allowing renegade to bring in Albuquerque, that potentially decreases the viewers the Detroit station gets for it's Judge Judy.

All I'm trying to point out is things aren't as simple as you'd think.

Ellen, Dr. Phil, Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, Judge Judy, Extra, and Inside Edition are all shows that are syndicated, to say nothing of the old seasons of various sitcoms & dramas (Big Bang Theory, Law & Order, Two & a Half Men, etc).

Going back to renegade's example, a Detroit local station has a contract with the Judge Judy folks that they get the exclusive right to show Judge Judy in the Detroit market. By allowing renegade to bring in Albuquerque, that potentially decreases the viewers the Detroit station gets for it's Judge Judy.

All I'm trying to point out is things aren't as simple as you'd think.
Think about the local advertisers, too. If they pay for commercial time based on local viewership numbers, and then the viewership ends up doubling by adding viewers outside of the DMA, then the advertiser would have to pay more for their ad space even though half of the viewers are too far away to even care about their service or product.

As far as I am concerned, however, if I'm willing to pay for them, I should be able to have whatever locals I want. I can go to the drugstore on the corner and buy the Chicago Tribune, even though I live in Detroit. I should be able to contact Dish and say, "I'm feelin' like Albuquerque today. Hook me up." It shouldn't be a problem to anybody as long as I am subscribed to my own locals as well.[/QUOTE]
I would totally pay for my locals and be able to get locals elsewhere as well!! Gladly!!

Think about the local advertisers, too. If they pay for commercial time based on local viewership numbers, and then the viewership ends up doubling by adding viewers outside of the DMA, then the advertiser would have to pay more for their ad space even though half of the viewers are too far away to even care about their service or product.
In order for that to work, the Albuquerque station would have to know viewers in Detroit saw their show. And why exactly would a business in Albuquerque care someone in Detroit saw their show? It's not like you're going to see an commercial for "John's Bar-B-Q" and say "I want to have lunch there tomorrow."

Remember, ratings are based on "samples". Your local television station doesn't get money from their advertisers because you (dare2be) saw a commercial during the Super Bowl (unless you're a Nielsen family). Neither does FOX BTW.

As far as I am concerned, however, if I'm willing to pay for them, I should be able to have whatever locals I want. I can go to the drugstore on the corner and buy the Chicago Tribune, even though I live in Detroit. I should be able to contact Dish and say, "I'm feelin' like Albuquerque today. Hook me up." It shouldn't be a problem to anybody as long as I am subscribed to my own locals as well.
I would totally pay for my locals and be able to get locals elsewhere as well!! Gladly!!

you might think you should be able to have whatever locals you want, but your congress thinks differently...

I hear ya, that's why I'd pay for both!

There's also a big capacity issue there, too. If you (and everybody else) were able to subscribe to any and all locals they wanted, every local channel would have to be on a conus transponder. There is no way Dish or DirecTV nor even cable providers could do that. Not enough bandwidth!

In order for that to work, the Albuquerque station would have to know viewers in Detroit saw their show. And why exactly would a business in Albuquerque care someone in Detroit saw their show? It's not like you're going to see an commercial for "John's Bar-B-Q" and say "I want to have lunch there tomorrow."
That's basically what I was saying.

Remember, ratings are based on "samples". Your local television station doesn't get money from their advertisers because you (dare2be) saw a commercial during the Super Bowl (unless you're a Nielsen family). Neither does FOX BTW.
I was under the impression that the old Nielsen sampling method was no longer the only source of the ratings information. That MVPDs can report back numbers as well to the stations. Taking an example from when the Pittsburgh locals were on CONUS, if my receiver was set to a Pittsburgh DMA zip code, how would my watching a Pittsburgh local not be counted in the totals for the DMA, even if I physically wasn't in the DMA?

I was under the impression that the old Nielsen sampling method was no longer the only source of the ratings information. That MVPDs can report back numbers as well to the stations. Taking an example from when the Pittsburgh locals were on CONUS, if my receiver was set to a Pittsburgh DMA zip code, how would my watching a Pittsburgh local not be counted in the totals for the DMA, even if I physically wasn't in the DMA?
Because Nielsen only takes into account what the local DMA viewership has in relationship to the LIL stations. A "super station" doesn't count in the totals of local stations.

I apologize, I misunderstood your post.

I think the Nielsen sampling method is still the only source of ratings. I think MVPD's should offer viewing stats as a negotiating tool, but you don't get demographic information (yes, you know a show was watched, but was it by the grandparents, the parents, or the college kids?).

I apologize, I misunderstood your post. I think the Nielsen sampling method is still the only source of ratings. I think MVPD's should offer viewing stats as a negotiating tool, but you don't get demographic information (yes, you know a show was watched, but was it by the grandparents, the parents, or the college kids?).[/QUOTE

Still the way the law is since Dish offers locals that would be the only thing available The law would have to be changed unless you own a RV or are a truck driver. I Agee that Distance channels should be available to all but Dish can not offer anything at this time

I think MVPD's should offer viewing stats as a negotiating tool, but you don't get demographic information...
I'll bet they do. The network or channel puffs up their chest claiming to be soooo popular and making demands... Then the cable or satellite provider shoots them down with their data. If it's in their favor (the cableco or satco), they show it. If it won't help them, they don't bother bringing it to the table ! :D

Still the way the law is since Dish offers locals that would be the only thing available The law would have to be changed unless you own a RV or are a truck driver. I Agee that Distance channels should be available to all but Dish can not offer anything at this time
My point is it's not just the law. Station contracts with syndicators (both programs and commercials) prevent stations from airing out of their market.

My point is it's not just the law. Station contracts with syndicators (both programs and commercials) prevent stations from airing out of their market.

I totally agree. It should not be this way. In Michigan WKBDs signal was available on 77 percent of the cable companies. This was from 1970 until 1988. It was dropped because of contracts

I totally agree. It should not be this way. In Michigan WKBDs signal was available on 77 percent of the cable companies. This was from 1970 until 1988. It was dropped because of contracts
Here's the other issue... if it wasn't for those contracts, then stations could stream 24/7.

Folks...

Over the past days I have been getting a lot of hate mail and threats because All American Direct is going out of business. People are telling me they are going to cancel their service with us, switch providers, organize a boycott of us or start a campaign against us because we are an evil company by taking their networks away.

Let's make this 100% clear...

We are NOT All American Directv
We are NOT DIRECTV
We are NOT DISH

We are SatelliteGuys and online discussion forum for people to talk about Satellite, Home Theater Technology and a ton of other topics which keep our members informed and entertained. We are not a Satellite Company we own no satellites in the sky and we do not control what is broadcast on those satellites! In fact we are just customers just like you. We don't get free service we pay our bills just like you do.

Do we get upset when things like this happen that we can't control? You bet we do! And we understand a small group of you are upset. Please understand that there is nothing we can do to save these channels or to force All American Direct to stay in business.

If you want to change providers then please do, that is your right to do so. We are not a provider so by you moving is not harming us in the least... but please don't take it out on us as we have nothing to do with this change.

I honestly dont know if you can switch providers and get what you had with All American Direct, and also I noticed that many of you who have written me or the site are not even located in the United States. I am not sure what the legalities are of selling networks outside the US and I am also not sure what services are available or serve those Countries and Islands outside the US.

I hope this clears the air a bit, I do hope everyone finds what they are looking for. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts