ABC 99w Network Feeds Transitioned to DVBS2 HEVC 4:2:2

Titanium

AI6US
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
May 23, 2013
Meadow Vista, Northern California
Just noticed that the ABC Network Feeds - 4120 H 30000 have transitioned to DVBS2 HEVC 4:2:2

The great news is that all channels play great on a stream from the Mio 4K to:
  • Android STB using the free DreamDroid app
  • Android Smartphone / Tablet using the free DreamDroid app
  • Windows Firefox / Chrome browsers via integrated free OpenWebif
  • Cast to Samsung Smart TV from Android Smartphone / Tablet

For ABC, not until OTA is 4K (possibly never)

Free 4K TV with an antenna is almost here
COMING SOON TO A TV STATION NEAR YOU: Top 40 TV Markets Launching ATSC 3.0 — ATSC

Disney+ and Hulu are going to have 4K HDR streams and there are Fox and NBC affiliates launching ATSC 3.0 feeds next year. I don't think ABC's affiliates are going to be too happy with being stuck at 720p forever and having a bunch of their viewers defect to Disney+

I think 2020 will be the year we start to see some real movement on 4K by different players in the TV market. Traditional TV broadcasts have been getting their ass kicked by Internet streaming services for years now in the audio/video quality department and now they need to scramble to catch up or they'll continue losing viewers

COMING SOON TO A TV STATION NEAR YOU: Top 40 TV Markets Launching ATSC 3.0 — ATSC

Disney+ and Hulu are going to have 4K HDR streams and there are Fox and NBC affiliates launching ATSC 3.0 feeds next year. I don't think ABC's affiliates are going to be too happy with being stuck at 720p forever and having a bunch of their viewers defect to Disney+

I think 2020 will be the year we start to see some real movement on 4K by different players in the TV market. Traditional TV broadcasts have been getting their ass kicked by Internet streaming services for years now in the audio/video quality department and now they need to scramble to catch up or they'll continue losing viewers

I'll believe it when I see it-

Doesn't Disney own ABC?

Hi,

This is Eugene

So, am I LEFT OUT, here???

For my GEOSAT PRO DVR-3500 HD, do I have to re-blind scan G16
an order to see ABC Feeds on G16???

Anyway, I found ABC feeds on Galaxy 3 to SEE and HEAR.

Eugene

Hi,

This is Eugene

So, am I LEFT OUT, here???

For my GEOSAT PRO DVR-3500 HD, do I have to re-blind scan G16
an order to see ABC Feeds on G16???

Anyway, I found ABC feeds on Galaxy 3 to SEE and HEAR.

Eugene
The 95w G3 ABC feeds are also transitioning to DVBS2 HEVC 4:2:2. Your current receiver isn't capable. See the first post above for suggestions of how I am watching the ABC and CBS network feeds.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Yah, from what Titanium described, I don't understand those stuff.
More of cell phones aps and softwares for windows. Nothing about what
can be use with the receiver.
Thanks anyway,
Eugene

Yah, from what Titanium described, I don't understand those stuff.
More of cell phones aps and softwares for windows. Nothing about what
can be use with the receiver.
Thanks anyway,
Eugene
An Edison OS Mio receiver as sold at the following link: Titanium Satellite - Store can be used to receive (but not view) the new ABC 4:2:2 feeds. To view them you need to stream from the receiver to a 4:2:2 capable viewer, such as the ones Titanium mentioned in post #1.

I don't think there are any non-professional grade receivers that can directly view 4:2:2 (which is a special pixel coding method). Until one comes along we have to stream it.

Hi N6by,

Good to hear from you!!!! This whole thing about ABC feeds, my favorit
is DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!

Yah, I saw that Edison receiver you mention, on ebay.

Eugene

So will we just all be SOL soon when all feeds change or will we have a way to view them like we normally view our feeds on a receiver instead of having to do the other things to watch them like your talking about in post #1? Do you think everything will soon be in this format? I hate when we lost analog, i loved the old analog stuff, but now I dont want to lose the rest of the stuff too.

We aren't losing anything. Just need the proper tools on our hobby bench and continue to evolve if we wish to view these FTA services. Most of us already own the display devices with the proper codecs or abilty to watch the 4:2:2 services. Smart phones, tablets, media player STBs and computers can display the 4:2:2 services. These devices just need to be provided with the program (live or a recording).

If you don't already have a satellite receiver capable of streaming on your network, consider this feature for the next satellite receiver upgrade. Maybe you instead prefer a computer with a PCIe or USB tuner or simply DVR the programming on your current satellite receiver and playback the recordings with a device mentioned above.

The 4:2:2 format has been around for over 15 years. Many hobbyists have been watching the 4:2:2 NBC / CTV network feeds, event backhauls and now the ABC Network via a DVBS PCIe or USB tuner or a stream from our satellite receiver to display with media player software like VPN. Some hobbyists been recording 4:2:2 programming on their FTA receiver and playing back the recording on their computer. If you haven't been watching 4:2:2 programming, it is because you have wanted to... :)

Other services may switch to the 4:2:2 format as it provides significantly better picture quality. Will they change? Some may, but remember that many FTA services remain DVBS after nearly 10 years of DVBS2. It is a slow migration if they do change.

The 4:2:2 sevices remain free and available to watch with minimal or no $$$ investment.

Note using SmartDVB, I am not seeing the 4:2:2 tag on these channels. I do see the HEVC though. maybe the 4:2:2 tag is part of the stream and not an indication from the software? This the 4120 tp. 4140 still shows H264.

I feel like this whole concept of buying a bunch of cheap devices to stream from a PC is completely backwards. Why don't you just have your PC hooked up to your TV in the first place and watch directly from it? I have never bought a receiver in the last 8 years I've engaged in the satellite hobby. My PC has always been able to play whatever strange new format they send up there.

Reactions: Cham and olliec420
I feel like this whole concept of buying a bunch of cheap devices to stream from a PC is completely backwards. Why don't you just have your PC hooked up to your TV in the first place and watch directly from it? I have never bought a receiver in the last 8 years I've engaged in the satellite hobby. My PC has always been able to play whatever strange new format they send

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)