ACS Internet Speed Test

JrC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 6, 2006
HowlerVille, MI
I have been experiencing service issues with my Sprint data card over the last 1 1/2 months. At times I will get very good data rates, other times the rates are very low, and still other times data stops flowing completely for minutes at a time.

Today found a long run speed test. It says that I will take a minimum 8 minutes to complete.

I wish I had looked for this awhile ago.

ACS Internet Speed Test

Well, it seems that you simply don't realize what you've gotten yourself into Junior. First, that speed test server is physically located in Alaska. Probably not the best place for a guy from Michigan to check out his air card. Second, the long test is actually comprised of quite a few individual tests - the average of which is provided to you at the end of some 8+ minutes. It tests your receive with five sequential test files ranging from 512KB to 20 MB each, and then tests your transmit with eight sequential files ranging from 50 KB to 5MB each.

Tests like these are designed for very high speed connections like cable and FIOS. If you're trying this with a 2G air card for example, you'd better get a pillow. And if Sprint has a 5GB monthly limit like my Verizon account, you're gonna waste a helluva lot of otherwise expensive bandwidth.

//greg//

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts