adding more receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

briansanders007

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 24, 2003
Man I'm hooked on this hobby! after finally getting a signal and being able to tune in all the sats. it's so amazing what you can get for free. Well probally not free after the cost of the dish and all the upgrades I want to do. :) o well gota have something fun to do.

I have a single LNB...I can I add a switch to this and add additional receivers or do I need a dual lnb?

What happens in a motorized setup when someone in another room changes the sat? can you make one receiver be able to change sat locations and lock that feature down for other rooms? like kids.. :)

I would get a dual LNB. Much easier to work with
One cable goes from receiver to motor to LNB…second receiver to other LNB port

Both can see same satellite but only one controls the motor

Sadoun has some charts on how to hook up multiple recievers to multiple antennas

Here is a link to some helpfull info: http://sadoun.us/Sat/Installation/Installation.htm

In your case (i.e. having a single LNBF and multiple receivers), I would do the following:

1. Connect slave receiver to the loop out on the master receiver.
  2. Repeat the process for 3rd, 4th receiver.

Since you only want the master receiver to control the motor, you should do the following on the slave receivers:

1. In the positioner settings menu select NONE or DISABLE.
  2. Add a parental control password. That way the Kids will not be able to access the settings menu and change anything.

Very interesting! thank you!

Also thanks for the fast shipment and quality of products. Sadoun is an excellent company to deal with and your prices are fantastic. It's nice to see there are still good companies out there.

Sadoun said:
Here is a link to some helpfull info: http://sadoun.us/Sat/Installation/Installation.htm

In your case (i.e. having a single LNBF and multiple receivers), I would do the following:

1. Connect slave receiver to the loop out on the master receiver.
  2. Repeat the process for 3rd, 4th receiver.

Since you only want the master receiver to control the motor, you should do the following on the slave receivers:

1. In the positioner settings menu select NONE or DISABLE.
  2. Add a parental control password. That way the Kids will not be able to access the settings menu and change anything.

guess eventually

you could put in a second motor and dish and have both receivers able to see everything... but that could get pricey very quickly. I personally will just stick with one motor, one dish, one receiver (for now)... My sg2100 came in last night... the special circular/hf lnb came in a few days before that... the Soudon roof mount is here too... only part I'm still waiting on is the Winegard dish. My dad offered to let me have his ancient super heavy all fiberglass ladder since it's too freaking heavy for him these days as he uses the alumninum ladder now and has me do most of his ladder climbing for him anyways since foot and knee problems bother him (he had cartlidge removed from knee a very long time ago and has bone on bone, and his foot got totally crushed a few years after that since it got ran over by an idiot on a forklift - if he didn't have on steel toed boots he wouldn't have a foot now) so I'll probably be on the roof either this weekend or next, depending on when the dish gets here...

:)

I think this may be my last dish at least for a while. if I put another one up my wife might kill me. ;) That's pretty cool how you can chain receivers. I didn't know you could do that. Since I'm a newbie what advantage is a circular lnb vs a standard ku lnb? can you pick up special transponders?

mastermesh said:
you could put in a second motor and dish and have both receivers able to see everything... but that could get pricey very quickly. I personally will just stick with one motor, one dish, one receiver (for now)... My sg2100 came in last night... the special circular/hf lnb came in a few days before that... the Soudon roof mount is here too... only part I'm still waiting on is the Winegard dish. My dad offered to let me have his ancient super heavy all fiberglass ladder since it's too freaking heavy for him these days as he uses the alumninum ladder now and has me do most of his ladder climbing for him anyways since foot and knee problems bother him (he had cartlidge removed from knee a very long time ago and has bone on bone, and his foot got totally crushed a few years after that since it got ran over by an idiot on a forklift - if he didn't have on steel toed boots he wouldn't have a foot now) so I'll probably be on the roof either this weekend or next, depending on when the dish gets here...

:)

Circular is for DBS signals (the free audio on ExpressVu & Dish Network)
Standard (Linear) is for the rest

Yes you can daisy chain receivers. Only drawback is the “slaves” can only see the same polarity as the main one. A dual allows both polarities to be seen on both receivers.

forgive me for being a newbie but when you say polarity do you mean channel or voltage...so I could only see 12v or 18v channels?

Iceberg said:
Circular is for DBS signals (the free audio on ExpressVu & Dish Network)
Standard (Linear) is for the rest

Yes you can daisy chain receivers. Only drawback is the “slaves” can only see the same polarity as the main one. A dual allows both polarities to be seen on both receivers.

No. Linear satellites are KU band (SBS6, G10, G11, etc). The polarity is Horizontal & Vertical. That’s why the LNB has to be skewed.

Circular satellites are DBS satellites (61.5, 82, 91, 101, 110, 119, 129, 148). These are L & R polarity. Skew is not needed as the skew is circular, so no matter what way you mount the LNB it works

V is 13volts sent to the LNB
H is 18volts sent to the LNB

Skew is not needed?

Iceberg said:
Circular satellites are DBS satellites (61.5, 82, 91, 101, 110, 119, 129, 148). These are L & R polarity. Skew is not needed as the skew is circular, so no matter what way you mount the LNB it works
If this is correct Tony. Why are my D* and E* dishes tilted for the skew effect? Although, this is just my thinking, it doesn't sound right. Or is there another reason for tilting the dish?

Al

I was under the assumption that the skew on the Dish Networks was so that you could get both 119 and 110 at a decent level. At least that is what I remember reading in the manual years ago (I think) :)

Al

The reason the dish is skewed is because you are trying to pick up 2 satellites which are at different angles. Thats why the dish needs to be skewed. Everybody's skew is different. On mine, 119 is a little higher than 110, but someone on the east coast the skew will be much more (119 will be up alot farther than 110). Someone on the west coast 119 will be LOWER than 110.

But if you took a single DBS LNB and hooked it up for the audio, regardless of how the LNB is turned it will work (I've had LNB's upside down and at a 90 degree angle)

The SKEW adjustment on Dish Network, BEV and DirecTV adjusts for the elevation differences between the satellites. For StarChoice, the purpose is for both the elevation differences and the adjustment for polarization of the linear signals.

I.E.: If your installation site was located on latitude 105.5w you would have no SKEW adjustment to receive the 110w and 119w Dish Network birds. This location latitude is halfway between the two satellites. The elevation angle to each of the satellites is the same.

If you live east of the birds you would adjust the dish skew clockwise or if you are west of the birds, counter clockwise.

Iceberg said:
But if you took a single DBS LNB and hooked it up for the audio, regardless of how the LNB is turned it will work (I've had LNB's upside down and at a 90 degree angle)
Thanks Tony. Come to think of it, 1 of the E* Dish 500's (61.5) only has 1 lnb, and it is straight up. Live and learn, that's what makes this site so good.

Al

Of course, I'll probably forget this before I press "Submit Reply". My memory is poor. But, I can always read it again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts