Adding panels extra to a 6'

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jibaro29

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Lake Worth FL
IMG_2046.JPGIMG_2045.JPGIMG_2061.JPGIMG_2055.JPGIMG_2057.JPGIMG_2053.JPGIMG_2058.JPGIMG_2056.JPG

I have been thinking about this for awhile. I knew that sooner or later I would have to take this dish down and take care of the Rust issue. After spray painting the dish I decided to go from a 6' to a 7'. I used aluminum panels to extend the dish to 7'. So far I must say that AMC 7,8,18 and Anik F2 are coming in better than I expected.I have posted some pictures of the before and after. I'm happy with what I've got so far.

View attachment 67780View attachment 67779View attachment 67778View attachment 67777View attachment 67776View attachment 67775View attachment 67774View attachment 67773

I have been thinking about this for awhile. I knew that sooner or later I would have to take this dish down and take care of the Rust issue. After spray painting the dish I decided to go from a 6' to a 7'. I used aluminum panels to extend the dish to 7'. So far I must say that AMC 7,8,18 and Anik F2 are coming in better than I expected.I have posted some pictures of the before and after. I'm happy with what I've got so far.

That's cool - well done!

I wondered about doing that with a 6ft dish (offset) that I have for the same reason, your example has given me inspiration!

very nice work

When I grew up in Florida, every thing rusted or grew mold. - :up
Did the dish arrive in that condition, or did it get that way in the warm Florida sun? ;)
What did you use to combat the rust?

Rust !!! That's the nature of that Beast ,the Bargain Dish.
Mine started showing signs of rust not even a month after I got it last year.
Just recently noticed larger patches of rust . After scraping and sanding the areas.I shot a few light coats of a Rust Neutralizer and a day later repainted the dish again.

s_trmt_extend_spray.png

Same here. This is the second time I have spray painted the same panel. I did not use Rust Neutralizer. I guess I'll be doing it again. Going back to the extra panels I can't believe how much better my dish is working now.

Congratulations on the successful experimentation. :up
I don't think the focal length would change because the parabolic shape wasn't altered. just extended. The F/D setting of the scalar would change if the added area conforms to the parabola of the dish. If this hasn't been readjusted, I think the added panels may be attenuating noise, more than adding signal to the feed. Or both, signal increase and attenuation of terrestrial noise. BITD i remember seeing in one of the satellite magazines, panels that looked very similar to what you've done here, advertised for combating terrestrial noise. Either way Better C/N ratio, and getting higher Q. This also brings to mind a question I've had for a while. That hole in the bottom center, of the dish, would also allow terrestrial noise into the feed, as the feed is aimed right at it. May see some C/N improvement if it were covered also. Don't know for sure, just a thought.

Mine started showing rust on the panels right after the first rain when i got the dish install.
Thanks to WSI for the good deal that we got on the dishes, for a 6" footer it works fine.

I think you are right FaT Air. By adding the extra panels I have been able to cut back on terrestrial noise. All I know is that this 6' is working great. The only issues I still have is with AMC 3. I have not been able to pickup the RTN feeds. Beano_ face the focal point still the same. I have mine set up at 0.37. Eventually I'm going to permanently attached these panels to the dish.

The only thing I would be concerned about is surface irregularities causing signals not focusing at the focal point. The trick would be to keep parabola as true as possible, or gain is lost.

interesting that you are having issues on AMC7. ON my 6 footer I get great signal here in MN (70 on the Pansat which equates to 73-74 on the Openbox)

Maybe its not on the arc 100%

Ice is not AMC 7. This sat is coming just fine. AMC 3 @ 87W is my problem. I can get must of the channels with the exception of: MeTV(use to get it), This TV(comes in every now and then) and tps 3800/4080. I don't even get a bit on those RTN tps.

oh ok

but one of the pics you showed is AMC7 (it logs as CH 1)...that is the one I was wondering about

AMC3 I havent tried recently (too damn hot out)

Back in the 80's I had a 6' Black Widow mesh dish that I ordered expansion panels for to make it a 8' dish. It worked really well. Too bad they don't make dishes like that today.

Adding panels

I did this exact thing to an 8' spun aluminum dish in 80's, just as the smallest antennas on the market had changed from 12', to 10', finally even 8'. Think I was using a Drake receiver and 120 LNA. It did improve the performance somewhat. A couple earlier posts nailed it, I'm pretty sure terrestrial noise was knocked down a bit.

As you can see the project looks a little Gottoish. I used a pair of scissors to cut those panels and they are held together with duct tape and glue. I have to figure out how to attached these panels without using duct tape or glue. Anyone that have read my profile knows that I live in South Florida (Hurricane alley USA). Leaving the dish up during a storm is not an option.

just brainstorming

How about extruded aluminum U-channel, on the face of the dish?
Perhaps held on with pop-rivets? And more to hold the extensions?

I think any building material you can cut with scissors is unlikely to handle hurricane winds... ;)

jibaro29 said:
As you can see the project looks a little Gottoish. I used a pair of scissors to cut those panels and they are held together with duct tape and glue. I have to figure out how to attached these panels without using duct tape or glue. Anyone that have read my profile knows that I live in South Florida (Hurricane alley USA). Leaving the dish up during a storm is not an option.

How thick are the panels? I really want to try this.

It is about 12 pts. I got them from a print shop were I work. I used the word panel but I should have said aluminum plates.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)