adding second receiver to dish 500

dkutz

Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Ok I have an dish 3800 receiver in the living room. I just got a 2700 for a co worker, to add to our bedroom. What do I need for this installation? What type of splitter? or other hardware

Also he didn't bring along the card for the box, is this a big deal? Can I get a new one, or should I have him try to find it?

If the dish has a Twin, run a line from the other output. If the dish has 2 separate dual LNBs, get another SW21 and hook it up just like the first. No splitters!

You will need the card that came with it.

You may be able to buy a replacement from Dish but before spending that money I would recommend you find out how much extra it would cost to get a 301 or 311 which are the current and more fully featured entry-level receivers. You might even look into upgrading to a 522/625 instead. It has a DVR fee but if you hook up a phone line there's no second tuner fee.

Ok I took a look at the dish last night. I believe its got 2 seprate LNBS, since it has two coax coming out of the dish. These two plug into the sw21 and then into the house.

If I get another sw21 how am I supposed to hook it up? Can't I just split the signal from the singal cable after the sw21?

Obviously, a newbie.....

BobaBird said:
If the dish has a Twin, run a line from the other output. If the dish has 2 separate dual LNBs, get another SW21 and hook it up just like the first. No splitters!

QUOTE]

so how do I hook up the second SW21??

Just like the first, meaning you're going to mirror it. Those separate LNBs are probably duals, meaning they each have 2 outputs (could be singles but those are rare). Run another line from each dual to the new SW21, then a line from it to the 2700. Once you also have the card, run a check switch, call Dish to activate.

In post 2 I should have directed you to a picture of the Dish 500 configurations at http://ekb.dbstalk.com/82.

thanks I found the diagram on my own. AND I got the card for the box. Set up the cables last night. So today I will call to make sure the box is operational before I run the cables to the TV. the box has the older blue card, I hope that doesn't become a problem...

Thanks for all the help. I got cables run and the dish hooked up, but the receiver doesn't work right.

The guide works, there is reception. But when choose a channel the image is blank. the show description shows up on the top bar, but black screen.

I called last night and they ahd me reset everything. And then 'sent all your channels' to the receiver. It still doesn't work, i guess I will call again today...

dkutz said:
Thanks for all the help. I got cables run and the dish hooked up, but the receiver doesn't work right.

The guide works, there is reception. But when choose a channel the image is blank. the show description shows up on the top bar, but black screen.

I called last night and they ahd me reset everything. And then 'sent all your channels' to the receiver. It still doesn't work, i guess I will call again today...
Did anyone at DISH suggest you need the new yellow card?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)