Additional Ku to C-band LNB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pi314

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
WI
The Ku side of my BSC-621 combo LNB (7.5’ mesh) is not as strong as I would like. Is it possible to mount either a Ku SL1PLL or universal LNB near the focal point of the BSC-621 for better Ku reception? Any previous threads or pics where this has been addressed?

Thanks,

It's possible, and has been done. It would be off-set from the focal point enough that it would look at a satellite about 5-6 degrees off boresite. By far the better solution is to install a separate 1 or 1.2meter dish just for KU. That will usually out perform a 10ft prime focus c-band dish when used for ku.

Those dual band LNBF's are usually peaked for C or Ku but seems rarely do they perform with both bands peaked together. Many have tuned them for a 'happy medium'. Others for one band or the other.
I motored a 30 inch ChannelMaster via the BUD. That and a few stationary Ku suits me.
'sidecar' Ku lnbf monted beside the C band:
I would think(I've not installed one to test) that a Ku lnbf designed for a prime focus dish would work better than a Ku lnbf designed for an offset dish. The high F/D of the offset lnbf would only use a small portion of the reflector surface. http://www.satelliteav.com/p/shop/?ws_pid=665&ws_cat=433
All told, I agree that separate Ku and C dishes is the way to go for best performance.

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 239
  • Ku_back.jpg
    Ku_back.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
FatAir, thanks for the pics. I actually thought about doing that but it did not seem possible for it to work, and yet there it is. I shall begin experimenting this weekend.

nice pictures. I will try that with my 6'. I have the 6' on c band and the 1.2 on k band. I want to get them on the same dish but with different lnb's. charlie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)