Additional Ku to C-band LNB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pi314

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 13, 2013
WI
The Ku side of my BSC-621 combo LNB (7.5’ mesh) is not as strong as I would like. Is it possible to mount either a Ku SL1PLL or universal LNB near the focal point of the BSC-621 for better Ku reception? Any previous threads or pics where this has been addressed?

Thanks,

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
It's possible, and has been done. It would be off-set from the focal point enough that it would look at a satellite about 5-6 degrees off boresite. By far the better solution is to install a separate 1 or 1.2meter dish just for KU. That will usually out perform a 10ft prime focus c-band dish when used for ku.

FaT Air

HOA Free Zone
Feb 27, 2010
97W 48N
Those dual band LNBF's are usually peaked for C or Ku but seems rarely do they perform with both bands peaked together. Many have tuned them for a 'happy medium'. Others for one band or the other.
I motored a 30 inch ChannelMaster via the BUD. That and a few stationary Ku suits me.
'sidecar' Ku lnbf monted beside the C band:
I would think(I've not installed one to test) that a Ku lnbf designed for a prime focus dish would work better than a Ku lnbf designed for an offset dish. The high F/D of the offset lnbf would only use a small portion of the reflector surface. http://www.satelliteav.com/p/shop/?ws_pid=665&ws_cat=433
All told, I agree that separate Ku and C dishes is the way to go for best performance.

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 241
  • Ku_back.jpg
    Ku_back.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:

Pi314

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 13, 2013
WI
FatAir, thanks for the pics. I actually thought about doing that but it did not seem possible for it to work, and yet there it is. I shall begin experimenting this weekend.

chaskuchar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 16, 2010
saint charles, missouri
nice pictures. I will try that with my 6'. I have the 6' on c band and the 1.2 on k band. I want to get them on the same dish but with different lnb's. charlie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts