Adventures In Dish Hunting 2010

Status
Please reply by conversation.
#1. a beautiful 8½' Birdview spun aluminum.
How I wish you had a place to stick THAT ! - :rolleyes:

#2. hard to tell the branches from the LNB support arms, but they appear to be bent before they go to the dish.
That suggests a Channel Master / Andrew BUD of ... I think ... 10 foot size (not 8')
Yea, that's a keeper, too! - :up

#3. if I'd paid better attention reading the C-band section I'd know that mesh, but ...
The extra circular support ring says something about it... is it a 10'er, too?
Nuttin' to sneeze at.

You got great taste in dishes, my friend!
Now find a place to haul one of those, so we can all enjoy the story! - :D

1. That dish is bigger than 8 1/2 feet...its bigger than dish #2. Dish 2 looks about a 8 footer
3. that dish is a 10 footer.

1. That dish is bigger than 8 1/2 feet...its bigger than dish #2. Dish 2 looks about a 8 footer

Iceberg this should clear up what type and size the dish is , pic one is of the dish you found on top the building and pic 2 is my 7.5 unimesh , they look alike . Notice the second ring and the placement of the arms , also the whole in the center ( great for centering the lnb )

Attachments

• Goose%203.JPG
    Goose%203.JPG
    294.2 KB · Views: 176
  • Unimesh front.JPG
    Unimesh front.JPG
    1,018.2 KB · Views: 168
Graiglist does paay off

Graiglist does pay off . I put an add up several days ago and have got several replies . I'm looking for a 10 foot but have to wait for several reasons on the owners part. But i did have to look at this Perfect 10 , The owner said just take it away , so i did.Came with a PS600XL reciever . Not sure what i'm going to do with this one yet sense my 7.5 foot is working great .Maybe i'll hang on to it if someone needs parts . Or maybe i'll add it to the farm .

Attachments

• 101_4330.JPG
    101_4330.JPG
    866.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 101_4331.JPG
    101_4331.JPG
    924.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 101_4332.JPG
    101_4332.JPG
    789.5 KB · Views: 189
Are you ready? - 3., 2., 1. . . Go !

1. That dish is bigger than 8 1/2 feet...its bigger than dish #2.
Dish 2 looks about a 8 footer
Dish #3: Panhandler makes a good argument.
You guys can duke it out. Regardless, both pictures are gorgeous! - :up

Dish #2: Well, I'll let actual owners argue the size of that Channel Master.
But, if ya get up close again, throw a tape across it and let us know.

Dish #1:
According to the docs (some kind person posted on SatGuys) the white solids are called 9'ers, but actually measure 8½ feet.
All other size Birdviews were perforated.

Lak7 says he's got a white solid 10'er locally that's bent up.
First one of you two who can show conclusive proof of a 10' white solid ...
... that's an actual Birdview,
... I'll send you a new C2 LNBF! - :eek: - as a prize! - :D

Iceberg this should clear up what type and size the dish is , pic one is of the dish you found on top the building and pic 2 is my 7.5 unimesh , they look alike . Notice the second ring and the placement of the arms , also the whole in the center ( great for centering the lnb )
they look bigger at a distance :)

but yeah those 2 dishes look alike :)

I was just reviewing my post above about the simularities between the dish Ice found atop the building and the uni that i am useing now . I noticed the number of struts are different , there fore it's not a unimesh but most likely a 8 ft.

I noticed something about dish hunting , now that i'm on the look out for the perect bud , they seem to be everywhere . I never noticed them before especially now when the leaves are off the trees .

I wish i had the expertise to put a brand name to all the buds i have spotted .. hmmm ,,,, wouldn't that be a great topic starter ( how to identify a bud from a distance)
;}

well saw another one yesterday up near the cabin but that one is staying at its location.

Had to drive to town (you rural folks understand that line but the city folks may not. The nearest town with something more than a gas station is 20 miles way) and on the way I see a 8 foot mesh dish laying on the ground near the road. So on the way back (since the stores close at 3 and it was 2:30 when I was driving there) I stop and look at it. No actuator or anything. Just the dish with arms and scaler ring. I go knock on the door and I talk to the guy who lives there about the dish. I asked if he was willing to get rid of it since it was just laying there and he tells me $50 I can have it :eek:

I turned around and walked towards the truck. He actually then asked me if I wanted it and seemed to get snotty when I said "no thats ok. I can get them for way cheaper than that".

Then he throws the famous line out "well I dont know why you'd want that. Theres NOTHING that the dish can be used for". I laughed, said "thanks anyways" and left

oh well...

There's plenty of those around here too-have stuff lying in the yard or ready for the garbage truck to grab, but if you ask about it, it suddenly becomes highly valuable to them. I know times are tough right now, but if there's something I'm not using, and am ready to part with-by golly I will give it to somebody that can use it.

yeah I know...It was only about 10 miles away from the cabin so it wasn't one of those "out of the area" trips :)

Someone beet me to the mesh dish

I was driving down the road today and came across these 2 dishes. The price is about just right . The mesh dish is what i was interested in but it looks like it needs a little tlc.What i did i s went back home to get my truck to haul it and when i got back the dang thing was gone ;{. I am not much interested in the solid dish sense it's a button hook style and have no idea what make it is . I was wondering if the person that grabbed the mesh dish was a Satellite guys member, i had no idea i had compatition in this area . Oh well ya win some and lose some .

Attachments

• 101_4558.JPG
    101_4558.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 178
  • 101_4557.JPG
    101_4557.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 187
  • 101_4556.JPG
    101_4556.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 165
  • 101_4555.JPG
    101_4555.JPG
    987.6 KB · Views: 192
well sorry about missing out on the mess dish that you wanted, but the glass dish would of been my pick. that is a Prodelin an looks to be a 12-footer, would not worry about it being a button hook that can always be changed. those Prodelin dish are great performers for signal, an it will beat any mess dish size for size on signal.
you did get it? didn't you?

...the glass dish would of been my pick. ...those Prodelin dish are great performers for signal, an it will beat any mess dish size for size on signal. ...

I never looked close to some of the fiberglass BUDs in my area - maybe I should? I thought the fiberglass dishes tend to go out of shape??? :confused:

I never looked close to some of the fiberglass BUDs in my area - maybe I should? I thought the fiberglass dishes tend to go out of shape??? :confused:

the 1 piece dishes that the hole 8, 10 or 12-foot dish was pulled from a mold, some of these are the 1s that can get out of shape, some not all.
not on the 1s with all the ribbing on the back side an that are bolted together, like the picture posted.

I have several dish up a running, 2 of my 10-footers are from the same manufacture Channel Master, both with dual band ortho feeds, an high end lnb's same F/D an F/L, the only difference is 1 is a mess an other is a solid like that Prodelin. now on the C-band side the solid beat the mess by a few points on signal, not by much, but it is better, an on the Ku their is no comparision, the solid will out perform it by a good amount. an if their is a real weak S2 feed that is where the solid really will shine.

Dishman if you see 1 like that in you're area you should grab it, after all you will not find many 12-foot solids (if it is 12-foot) shure looks like from the picture, but even if it is a 10-ft I would still grab it, Prodelin dishes are great performers.

the 1 piece dishes that the hole 8, 10 or 12-foot dish was pulled from a mold, some of these are the 1s that can get out of shape, some not all.
not on the 1s with all the ribbing on the back side an that are bolted together, like the picture posted.

I have several dish up a running, 2 of my 10-footers are from the same manufacture Channel Master, both with dual band ortho feeds, an high end lnb's same F/D an F/L, the only difference is 1 is a mess an other is a solid like that Prodelin. now on the C-band side the solid beat the mess by a few points on signal, not by much, but it is better, an on the Ku their is no comparision, the solid will out perform it by a good amount. an if their is a real weak S2 feed that is where the solid really will shine.

Dishman if you see 1 like that in you're area you should grab it, after all you will not find many 12-foot solids (if it is 12-foot) shure looks like from the picture, but even if it is a 10-ft I would still grab it, Prodelin dishes are great performers.

I was wondering what the gain differance is between a mesh or solid .Sense i do have the room in my yard ( all 5 acers ) i am going to pick this one up and test it . The mount looks a bit strange to me but i'm sure i will get it back to working order. Reconditioning the components shouldn't be much of a prob for me because i am a supervisor of a machine shop . I was always leary of solid dishes only due to the wind factor here off of lake Erie. Oh what the hell this is what testing is all about .

... I was always leary of solid dishes only due to the wind factor here off of lake Erie. ...

Perhaps a positive side effect from fiberglass...

You most likely get heavy wet "lake effect" snow in your area like I do. That stuff really sticks to a mesh dish but maybe the wet snow will slide off easy instead of freezing solid in the holes like on a mesh dish! :eureka:

Last edited:
I walked around the solid dish ( Prodelin) it's no bigger than 10' . I am going to pick it up in the morn but what i am thinking is how can i get this dish to look good again as far as paint . As the mechanics go i am sure i can revive it , at the same time it has to look good if it's going to be in my yard , any sugestions on how to make it look like factory again .

Got m home

I have been working on the actuator for the perfect 10 for several weeks now and i am satisfied it is working like new .The dish itself needs a bit of paint before i plant it . I am thinking of dedicating this one just for c-band And i finnaly got the prodelin home ( pics below ) It is a 10' and needs some serious restoration but nothing i can't handle. I'm going to take 1captains and Anoles advise and set this one up for c and ku band . I dismantled the accuator today and at least the motor and reed sensor works great but the tubes are another story, there frozen prety good .I will try and refit them , if all else fails i'll just purchase a new one . I was surprised to see the accuator for the prodelin has only a 18" travel .Once i get the 10' back to working order i'll post more but it may be a month the mount needs a total overhaul.

Attachments

• 101_4660.JPG
    101_4660.JPG
    1,022 KB · Views: 176
  • 101_4666.JPG
    101_4666.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 189
  • Dish, truck.JPG
    Dish, truck.JPG
    893.5 KB · Views: 185
  • on the road.jpg
    on the road.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 190
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)