Adventures in Dish Hunting 2011??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Nice find phlatwound. Do you have one of those home built lifts or do you have some other "trick" to get a unit like that one down?

Yeah! Good question because I have one of those dishes (With a actuator) and it is a very heavy dish to lift!!

Nice find phlatwound. Do you have one of those home built lifts or do you have some other "trick" to get a unit like that one down?

No lifts and no tricks, just good fortune with this situation (and zero fear of heights). ;)

You can't tell from my pics but that dish was on top of a 20' section of 4 1/2" OD pipe, the bottom was buried in the ground/concrete, and about 15' up it was attached to the eave of a flat roof with a standoff bracket. The bracket held it about a foot off the edge of the roof.

The outer edge of the reflector was actually over and facing the roof, and once I undid the elevation adjuster bolt we were able to lower it to where the edge was almost touching the roof. I had to set a 5' stepladder on the edge of the roof to get to some of the bolts on the back side but we had the buttonhook off and reflector laying on the deck in about 20 minutes.

Then I took the reflector attachment ring off the motor unit, then the motor unit off of the pole clamp bracket and finally the pole clamp bracket off the pole. The motor was the heaviest component and was a challenge since I had to reach out over the edge.

That dish breaks down into 8 sections, and I'm guessing each section weighs about 6-7 pounds. Winegard uses a different extrusion for the framing than the typical square tubing you see on most mesh dishes, very rigid and well made.

Nice find!! I have the later model (no buttonhook) but the exact same reflector and AJAK. I really like the way that dish works!
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-...7423-9-foot-mesh-dish-livingston-montana.html

Thanks, and thanks for pointing me back your thread, that was quite an odyssey.

I wondered about the F/D ratio on a dish that deep, when that dish returns to service (hopefully in my buddy's back yard) I will did that thread up again for review. I think we will attempt just going with the buttonhook rather than trying to fab some support arms, these dishes are so solidly constucted I bet the feed could be centered with a buttonhook and stay there, no problem.

Fantastic refurb job on your AJAK. :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)